EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bits of luck with the penalty decision and then the kick that we just never had in big games , so maybe thats a good omen . Got to say though i thought the Kane one was a stonecold pen. Chuffed though . Sterling was immense i thought 

Freely admit that I don't watch much football but I can't understand why, when Sterling and Trippier started making real inroads down the right wing with only a few minutes left, they didn't carry on and try and finish the job rather than waste time.

It all seems so bloody negative to me.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

A bit of luck getting the penalty, another bit of luck when the rebound fell so easily for Kane to score on the second chance.

Basically, the kind of thing that almost always seems to happen to England's opponents. Like people always say, these things even out... finally!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fortunate penalty but well deserved, we dominated from 60 minutes on.

For once, we were the better team. I can't believe it, so happy to finally see it. 

My boy is 7, and I slightly resent the fact that he hasn't experienced the pain I have at 37!

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It was a ' fortunate ' penalty , probably due a bit of luck , doubt we'll be able to rely on that on Sunday 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bits of luck with the penalty decision and then the kick that we just never had in big games , so maybe thats a good omen . Got to say though i thought the Kane one was a stonecold pen. Chuffed though . Sterling was immense i thought 

image.jpeg.23613108efeb7c70d4c10d640b88d274.jpeg

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As an Italian presenter pointed out on their TV coverage " footballs diving home " 😉

This from an Italian 🤔 , makes you feel proud 😂

They dont do irony

Sterling couldn’t hit a barn door from beyond 5yds out. But what a player at creating mayhem to the defence…

Good won tonight. Came from behind to deservedly won the game. Bit of steel in the team, which is great to see. The ice cream men are favourites on Sunday but I wouldn’t bet against us…

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Sterling couldn’t hit a barn door from beyond 5yds out. But what a player at creating mayhem to the defence…

Good won tonight. Came from behind to deservedly won the game. Bit of steel in the team, which is great to see. The ice cream men are favourites on Sunday but I wouldn’t bet against us…

Aye I know. He's only got three this tournament.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A bit of luck getting the penalty, another bit of luck when the rebound fell so easily for Kane to score on the second chance.

It didn't necessarily fall 'easily' - although it was obviously fortunate.

Kane doesn't just charge over to it and blast it back. You can actually see him amend his run and body position *and* take just enough time to aim the shot better. All that having just had a poor penalty kick saved.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's given the country a lift.... a huge lift, and whilst most of us on here are pretty much die hard rugby fans and some of us have little interest in footy, the country, or England at least, is riding a wave of euphoria..... I'll take that as a huge positive given the last eighteen months of sheeite we've endured 

32 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Anyone heard from @Bob8 yet? Or have the villagers made him "disappear"? 🤔 

They are not taking it well.

The village pub was shut, so we went to Irish Pub dump, where I was about twice the age of the average punter.

They are not happy about that penalty! I think many were expecting Denmark to win.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I think both Italy and England deserve to be in the final as the best attacking and defensive teams on display.

The Italians have been crafty and cohesive removing their usual shackles of tentative play and really going for the throat to knockout out teams on paper that had more talent like Belgium.

As for England, I think there’s a great maturity and measure of control about the play now that has seen them reach the final even though it has infuriated some observers who’d like a more gung ho approach all of the time.

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The village pub was shut, so we went to Irish Pub dump, where I was about twice the age of the average punter.

They are not happy about that penalty! I think many were expecting Denmark to win.

It would have been a great romantic story (the greatest so far) had Denmark gone on to win the tournament.

In my view the slow mo replay from behind did show contact from one of the Danish defenders (number 24) on Sterling and neither of the two defenders involved won the ball.

Hopefully their only natural disappointment will subside.

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The more I see the ' penalty ' , the less it looks like a penalty 🤔🙄😉

The more I see the penalty the less I care . I can think of all the big games we’ve been shafted in or had zero luck

Its amazing ! the number of people (mainly scots) saying they want Italy to win because we dived to get a penalty🤣.As for the penalty , everybody knows that footballers dive but at the same time , when you're running at pace ,it only takes the slightest tough to knock you over , all the camera angles I saw were inconclusive .

44 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

What was their attitude towards the dive that won Denmark the free kick from which they scored?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I didn't notice at the time but the German tabloid Bild is very excited about the fact that there were two balls on the pitch when Sterling was brutally assaulted by the beastly Danes.

(Incidentally, my vague reading of a few German papers is that they think the penalty was soft but not dodgy, that England were comfortably the better team and deserved the win however it came).

Archived