EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

It's given the country a lift.... a huge lift, and whilst most of us on here are pretty much die hard rugby fans and some of us have little interest in footy, the country, or England at least, is riding a wave of euphoria..... I'll take that as a huge positive given the last eighteen months of sheeite we've endured 

This.

I mean, obviously covid is global so it would be nice to share but Denmark already got their kicks beating Sweden in the world handball final so nadgers to them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

What was their attitude towards the dive that won Denmark the free kick from which they scored?

My Facebook has a few anti-English posts today, including some in English.

When they are by young people, I sympathise, as I have been there. When the people are middle aged, my thinking is more along the lines of "FFS, grow up".

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

My Facebook has a few anti-English posts today, including some in English.

When they are by young people, I sympathise, as I have been there. When the people are middle aged, my thinking is more along the lines of "FFS, grow up".

Quite. They could have tried winning the match by being the better team on the night but England, aside from a 20ish minute spell, stopped them from doing that. The goals we got were fortunate but nobody could say with a straight face that Denmark were the better team. If they'd had a normal human in goal they'd have lost by a lot.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Doesn't seem to apply to Rugby League (and union) wingers though 🤔

Oddly, in sports where players expect collisions and impact the reactions are different to ones where they don't.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Oddly, in sports where players expect collisions and impact the reactions are different to ones where they don't.

He does this all the time for Manchester city. The slightest touch and he goes down. 

Because he has done it playing for England it's being called soft or 50-50. 

4 minutes ago, Niels said:

He does this all the time for Manchester city. The slightest touch and he goes down. 

Because he has done it playing for England it's being called soft or 50-50. 

I am aware of this. It's a key way you get free kicks and penalties in football. That doesn't mean that every time a player falls it's a dive, nor does it bestow moral authority on other sports who have other ways of fooling the ref or gaining an advantage.

11 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

It just depends where you're touched , an ankle tap for example .

Even after an ankle tap, they still try to stay on their feet. 

Look, I know footballers go down easy at the slightest touch. It's annoying but it is what it is. However when the pundits say about "its difficult to keep their feet when moving at speed" my eyes roll back in my head. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Even after an ankle tap, they still try to stay on their feet. 

Look, I know footballers go down easy at the slightest touch. It's annoying but it is what it is. However when the pundits say about "its difficult to keep their feet when moving at speed" my eyes roll back in my head. 

What's the benefit of rugby players not trying to stay on their feet when they're tackled , its not as though they're going to be given a penalty , there's plenty of other ways they can con the ref .

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I am aware of this. It's a key way you get free kicks and penalties in football. That doesn't mean that every time a player falls it's a dive, nor does it bestow moral authority on other sports who have other ways of fooling the ref or gaining an advantage.

Being outraged at a dive in football is a bit like a rugby league fan being upset at the ball not being put in straight at the scrum.

It does not make it good necessarily.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Its amazing ! the number of people (mainly scots) saying they want Italy to win because we dived to get a penalty🤣.As for the penalty , everybody knows that footballers dive but at the same time , when you're running at pace ,it only takes the slightest tough to knock you over , all the camera angles I saw were inconclusive .

Yes I totally agree , I arrived at this conclusion and thought process last night about  10.00 after being cynical about it before that 

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

It's given the country a lift.... a huge lift, and whilst most of us on here are pretty much die hard rugby fans and some of us have little interest in footy, the country, or England at least, is riding a wave of euphoria..... I'll take that as a huge positive given the last eighteen months of sheeite we've endured 

Agreed

Best of luck guys!

I’ve probably watched on TV less than 10 soccer matches involving professional players in my life and around 5 or 6 live.. but I know it means a lot to England… so come on England!

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

They are not taking it well.

The village pub was shut, so we went to Irish Pub dump, where I was about twice the age of the average punter.

They are not happy about that penalty! I think many were expecting Denmark to win.

Bob mate, just keep your head down and when they start building a Wicker Man in the village square get out of there! You're welcome to seek refuge at any of our houses and when the mob track you down and start laying siege to the place we'll fight to the death Straw Dogs style! 

You know, usually when the UK do poorly at Eurovision and everyone goes "Oh well obviously, everyone hates us" I tend to disagree, because our songs are ###### most of the time anyway. 

However, after seeing a lot of social media response towards England's win last night, I've changed my mind. 

9 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

You know, usually when the UK do poorly at Eurovision and everyone goes "Oh well obviously, everyone hates us" I tend to disagree, because our songs are ###### most of the time anyway. 

However, after seeing a lot of social media response towards England's win last night, I've changed my mind. 

All of Europe wanted Denmark to win.

31 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bob mate, just keep your head down and when they start building a Wicker Man in the village square get out of there! You're welcome to seek refuge at any of our houses and when the mob track you down and start laying siege to the place we'll fight to the death Straw Dogs style! 

It is not too bad. In England, there are a minority of grown children and a majority of grown-ups. When it comes to expressing it on Facebook, that minority are a lot louder.

17 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Yes.

We killed off a fairy tale. We are the baddies. Oddly, had we beaten them comfortably 3-0 a'la 2002, it would have been OK. The closeness made it worse. Though, booing the anthem is always ugly. Our minority of grown children.

Before we get to the final and either go all fatalistically maudlin or ridiculously incoherently joyful ... this has been a really good tournament, hasn't it?

Majority decent games (some actually great), not too much VAR, mostly fast paced, decent skills, bit of drama?

47 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Before we get to the final and either go all fatalistically maudlin or ridiculously incoherently joyful ... this has been a really good tournament, hasn't it?

Majority decent games (some actually great), not too much VAR, mostly fast paced, decent skills, bit of drama?

Yes it's been great, I've really enjoyed it.

The refs have been good , the German one especially . I remember the outrage at the World Cup when there was no English ref , and then in the tournament we saw why . No real fuss , understated , no Mike Dean type it’s about me

2 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

Tbf there's plenty of English people who are more than happy to talk down the achievement.

If we don't get to the final by dominating France, Spain, Portugal etc then we don't deserve it.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

The more I see the penalty the less I care . I can think of all the big games we’ve been shafted in or had zero luck

It annoys me how much it has been the focus the day after. This was a game where after 50 odd minutes we dominated. Yes we got a soft penalty and we'd have been annoyed etc, but the inverse would never have happened because they didn't threaten at all during extra time. 

I remember when we lost to Italy on pens in 2012. Had we won that game it'd have been a travesty and had Italy won 1-0 due to a soft penalty we'd have been annoyed but it wouldn't have felt like a robbery.

Judging by some reactions today you'd think it was the hand of god or something. 

I don't really follow football.  I'm glad England got to the final, the only sour note for me was THAT song at the end.  Why?????

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived