EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It annoys me how much it has been the focus the day after. This was a game where after 50 odd minutes we dominated. Yes we got a soft penalty and we'd have been annoyed etc, but the inverse would never have happened because they didn't threaten at all during extra time. 

I remember when we lost to Italy on pens in 2012. Had we won that game it'd have been a travesty and had Italy won 1-0 due to a soft penalty we'd have been annoyed but it wouldn't have felt like a robbery.

Judging by some reactions today you'd think it was the hand of god or something. 

A lot of Scotland fans WERE comparing it to the hand of god goal , but they didn't mention their own hand of god moment when Joe Jordan punched the ball against Wales in the final WC qualifier to win his own team a penalty.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I don't really follow football.  I'm glad England got to the final, the only sour note for me was THAT song at the end.  Why?????

I agree 100% , twitter was full of people from all over the world accusing England of pinching their song , Its so un-original , especially when we have songs of our own .

6 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

A lot of Scotland fans WERE comparing it to the hand of god goal , but they didn't mention their own hand of god moment when Joe Jordan punched the ball against Wales in the final WC qualifier to win his own team a penalty.

I've never forgotten that. All that hype about they were going to the Argentine and going to win it, all courtesy, as you say of a Joe Jordan punched goal.  To say nothing of Wales having to play in Liverpool, hardly a home game.  Bet there's as many ex pat Scots as Welsh in Liverpool.

But the balloon burst almost as soon as they got there!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

I agree 100% , twitter was full of people from all over the world accusing England of pinching their song , Its so un-original , especially when we have songs of our own .

Really ? Wow I guess some Twitter users need to get out more 

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I've never forgotten that. All that hype about they were going to the Argentine and going to win it, all courtesy, as you say of a Joe Jordan punched goal.  To say nothing of Wales having to play in Liverpool, hardly a home game.  Bet there's as many ex pat Scots as Welsh in Liverpool.

People talk about English arrogance , but I've never heard an English manager say " We are gong to win the world cup " but I heard Ally MacLeod said it more than once .

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

My Facebook has a few anti-English posts today, including some in English.

When they are by young people, I sympathise, as I have been there. When the people are middle aged, my thinking is more along the lines of "FFS, grow up".

There's plenty of "Whigfield, Little Mermaid, Lego, your boys took one hell of a beating" type posts going round on social media... I assume not entirely serious though.

27 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Good post. I can add to it if it is ok with you?

I remember the Wales game. They couldn't play at Cardiff as there had been crowd trouble during the previous game v Yugoslavia, I think. 

Instead of choosing Wrexham, the Welsh FA opted for Anfield to get more money. This turned into a Scotland home game virtually as they were able to travel in numbers.

I think the controversial incident was a penalty to Scotland where Joe Jordan had actually handled the ball and not the Welsh defender. 

24 minutes ago, Niels said:

Good post. I can add to it if it is ok with you?

I remember the Wales game. They couldn't play at Cardiff as there had been crowd trouble during the previous game v Yugoslavia, I think. 

Instead of choosing Wrexham, the Welsh FA opted for Anfield to get more money. This turned into a Scotland home game virtually as they were able to travel in numbers.

I think the controversial incident was a penalty to Scotland where Joe Jordan had actually handled the ball and not the Welsh defender. 

Qualification for the WC was a bit harsh in those days to say the least. Scotland were in a group of Wales and Czech - that's it! England were in a group of 4 with Italy and despite winning 5/6 games went out on points difference. 

31 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Qualification for the WC was a bit harsh in those days to say the least. Scotland were in a group of Wales and Czech - that's it! England were in a group of 4 with Italy and despite winning 5/6 games went out on points difference. 

Thank you for this.  I couldn't remember who the third team were. I think Wales had beaten them at home and a win over Scotland would have taken them through. 

I remember as a boy wanting Wales to win and being disappointed.

Yes qualification was tough then and of course following world football wasnt as easy. I used to rely on World Soccer magazine for updates. Now I can watch my team play every game via Sky red button but back in 1978 it was very different. 

next time i am in the precinct and i see a Jamacian guy fall over for no apparent  reason (a Jamacian guy born in jamacia to Jamacian parents)- i wont bother calling an ambulance i will round up a few others and form a conga singing sweet Caroline then bang on about it all the next day.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Tbf there's plenty of English people who are more than happy to talk down the achievement.

If we don't get to the final by dominating France, Spain, Portugal etc then we don't deserve it.

To me , if we don't beat France Spain , Portugal , Germany AND the Italians , we don't deserve it 😂

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Quite. They could have tried winning the match by being the better team on the night but England, aside from a 20ish minute spell, stopped them from doing that. The goals we got were fortunate but nobody could say with a straight face that Denmark were the better team. If they'd had a normal human in goal they'd have lost by a lot.

quite but to add to it, at one point Denmark seemed more content to disrupt England's flow plus did some last ditch fouls preventing opportunities and what could be called professional fouls - surprised ref didn't use the card more,,, particular not forgetting the long period when England looked like they were over running Denmark but Denmark players went down injured for an awful long time and then took their time with x3 subs... by the time game started again England's momentum had been stopped...

some of it seemed more like cheating to me...

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Obviously , including the Italians for different reasons 

Taking your point seriously, I don’t think Italy really cared who they played in the final but they would have wanted a more demanding extra time for whoever came through.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

" Were on the march with Ally's army " 😂

32 minutes ago, Niels said:

Thank you for this.  I couldn't remember who the third team were. I think Wales had beaten them at home and a win over Scotland would have taken them through. 

I remember as a boy wanting Wales to win and being disappointed.

Yes qualification was tough then and of course following world football wasnt as easy. I used to rely on World Soccer magazine for updates. Now I can watch my team play every game via Sky red button but back in 1978 it was very different. 

Not forgetting this was the time of McUnited when half the Scottish team played for Man U , Leeds and Liverpool 

8 minutes ago, redjonn said:

quite but to add to it, at one point Denmark seemed more content to disrupt England's flow plus did some last ditch fouls preventing opportunities and what could be called professional fouls - surprised ref didn't use the card more,,, particular not forgetting the long period when England looked like they were over running Denmark but Denmark players went down injured for an awful long time and then took their time with x3 subs... by the time game started again England's momentum had been stopped...

That long delay was definitely a bit tactical as they were really struggling . It went on ages , then despite them standing there ready to go the game restarted again before stopping for the subs . Dodgy pen but they can’t complain . We had 20 attempts even though a lot of our play lacked a cutting edge in the final third . After an hour or so they ran out of puff and looked content to bank on schmeichel in a shoot out . We forced the game and you tend to get rewarded for that , however it comes . At the end of the day the two deserving sides are in the final and it should be a cracker 

Once again, you have to feel for the Jocks.

Their fans have supported 4 different teams in this tournament and still not seen a single victory.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

May be an image of 3 people, stadium and outdoors

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

I genuinely can't believe the level of hypocrisy about last night from fans of other countries. You'd think Sterling did something completely beyond the pale, like Maradona's Hand of God or Henry against Ireland. Not something that is attempted multiple times a game by nearly every team.

I get how people could be annoyed that it was given, and think VAR has been a let down but to use it to claim England are cheats is just ridiculous. I heard Hamann saying it's not in the spirit of the game. What a load of cobblers, diving has been routine for 20 years. 

What next? Will England be slaughtered for crowding round the ref? 

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I genuinely can't believe the level of hypocrisy about last night from fans of other countries. You'd think Sterling did something completely beyond the pale, like Maradona's Hand of God or Henry against Ireland. Not something that is attempted multiple times a game by nearly every team.

I get how people could be annoyed that it was given, and think VAR has been a let down but to use it to claim England are cheats is just ridiculous. I heard Hamann saying it's not in the spirit of the game. What a load of cobblers, diving has been routine for 20 years. 

What next? Will England be slaughtered for crowding round the ref?

There is a strange thing that people have higher standards for English people. Around Europe, people still will take your word a little more seriously (in Denmark, it used to be that an Englishman could walk into a shop and promise to send money when he got to the UK and that would be accepted. Women will feel safe around you if you are English).

I remember the 1990 World Cup semi-final. We played better football without the cynicism. The Italian press sung the praises of the honesty and standard of football. But, we lost that semi.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

headline news reports -

England player went to a school as a child 

the same school still operates although with younger people attending now

some of the teachers still work at that school and remember the England player who is now grown up

the children who go to that same school now are kicking footballs today and using the former pupil as an inspiration to succeed in life 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

There is a strange thing that people have higher standards for English people. Around Europe, people still will take your word a little more seriously (in Denmark, it used to be that an Englishman could walk into a shop and promise to send money when he got to the UK and that would be accepted. Women will feel safe around you if you are English).

I remember the 1990 World Cup semi-final. We played better football without the cynicism. The Italian press sung the praises of the honesty and standard of football. But, we lost that semi.

Or other countries just dont like us much so get more annoyed when we do it

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I agree with this . I pick it off

I would not want it on a pizza, nor on a toastie.

But, each to their own. I do not think it should be a major social signifier.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived