EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Except, unless my memory is totally wrong, it got to #1 in Germany? 

What’s so good about it is that it’s written from the viewpoint of typical England fan in the 90’s. They pretty much knew they weren’t up to much but still believed *this* time was different. They’d been rubbish since 66 so how could they not be good now?

But above any of that, 3 Lions is a brilliant song. Simple as all the best songs are.

I don't know if it went to No.1, but it was very popular in Germany.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Interestingly, I saw a rerun of the Euro 96 semi-final today and England booed the bejeesus out of the German anthem. 

I'm genuinely intrigued by the whole thing. Instinctively it feels like something we've always done but the sudden focus made me think it hadn't been. If you'd have asked me before the tournament, do I think booing anthems in football is a problem I would've probably said no. It's just part of being a partisan fan. God knows I've shouted some things at Wire and Leigh over the years 😂.

Now it's being focused on, I do wonder whether other non-UK countries do it and realise it's not a good look if only we do it.

Another thing that I find interesting is the constant misunderstanding of the Three Lions song. Non-Brits just can't get their head around it and see it as some arrogant assertion of our superiority. 

Fans of lots of countries boo during the anthems, it's not every game but it happens enough that it's not a surprise to hear it. Some people just want a stick to beat England with. That said, I've always found it distasteful (although, hypocrite that I am, I've certainly said much worse at QPR-Chelsea games).

There have been a couple of terrible articles written this past week by Americans re Three Lions, England's performances and England in general. They really don't understand anything outside of their own worldview which, despite the world becoming a smaller place, is growing more and more jaundiced.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Personally I've never booed any national anthem. Can't see the point. However I don't have an issue with fans booing. If the Italians booed GSTQ, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. 

It kind of seems to be the middle class Twitter users trying to sanitise the game of working class oiks. 

"This wouldn't happen at Twickers or Wimbledon"  

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Personally I've never booed any national anthem. Can't see the point. However I don't have an issue with fans booing. If the Italians booed GSTQ, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. 

It kind of seems to be the middle class Twitter users trying to sanitise the game of working class oiks. 

"This wouldn't happen at Twickers or Wimbledon"  

Looking at those prices, if people are booing they've paid a lot of money to do so. There won't be much working class about the crowd tonight.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Wiki says #49 which is still pretty remarkable. Mind you, there were still a fair few army bases in Germany at the time.

As has been said, it was adopted by the German fans during and immediately after the tournament.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Interestingly, I saw a rerun of the Euro 96 semi-final today and England booed the bejeesus out of the German anthem. 

I'm genuinely intrigued by the whole thing. Instinctively it feels like something we've always done but the sudden focus made me think it hadn't been. If you'd have asked me before the tournament, do I think booing anthems in football is a problem I would've probably said no. It's just part of being a partisan fan. God knows I've shouted some things at Wire and Leigh over the years 😂.

Now it's being focused on, I do wonder whether other non-UK countries do it and realise it's not a good look if only we do it.

Another thing that I find interesting is the constant misunderstanding of the Three Lions song. Non-Brits just can't get their head around it and see it as some arrogant assertion of our superiority. 

I think England is the only country where the default setting is to boo. Which can look a little weird when you're seeing thousands of people getting really angry that the national anthem of Andorra is being played.

I've heard it happen with others because but when it does happen there tends to be an underlying sporting or political rivalry going on. 

Also worth saying that just because they're not booing the anthem doesn't mean that they're being respectful. Hungary were probably very polite for the anthems but they did have actual government-endorsed fascists in the stands supporting them.

I'm not getting too giddy about it. Just as long as they do play soccer other than tripping over them pesky blades of grass and getting pole axed by a glancing soft tackle. Hoping for a good competitive game obviously with England winning. Tbh even if it was England in a tiddlywinks world Cup final I'd watch it. I'm watching because its England. 

May be an image of 8 people and text that says "GETHER SAFCBlackCatsNey BOXPARK An An Irishman, a Scotsman and a Welshman walk into a pub.... There's normally an Englishman, but he's still at Euro 2020"

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

12 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's disrespectful to heckle another nations anthem, it's not clever or partisan, it's disrespectful and English fans wonder why they are so unloved.

On the three lions thing, I actually think a lot of England fans don't get the ironic nature of the song, a lot of the lads I know think it is some of glorifying the England team as opposed to it being a sad tale of woe.

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

What’s so good about it is that it’s written from the viewpoint of typical England fan in the 90’s. They pretty much knew they weren’t up to much but still believed *this* time was different. They’d been rubbish since 66 so how could they not be good now?

But above any of that, 3 Lions is a brilliant song. Simple as all the best songs are.

I always think of 3 Lions as a song about hope over expectation , I think foreigners just hear the line "its coming home , its coming home , footballs coming home " and think its arrogance .

2 hours ago, meast said:

It's disrespectful to heckle another nations anthem, it's not clever or partisan, it's disrespectful and English fans wonder why they are so unloved.

On the three lions thing, I actually think a lot of England fans don't get the ironic nature of the song, a lot of the lads I know think it is some of glorifying the England team as opposed to it being a sad tale of woe.

I don't think this is true, I think the vast majority know it's a song of hope rather than an arrogant assertion.

Almost anything involved in being a fan is disrespectful if you focus on it. Booing the opposing team as they come out to play - disrespectful; booing a player you don't like who has the ball - disrespectful; chanting 'we hate x' - disrespectful; shouting at the referee for making a decision - disrespectful. 

I'm not trying to say we should boo the anthems but there is an attempt to make it seem more xenophobic than it is. If you boo the opposing team as they enter the pitch, there isn't much difference to booing their anthem. I don't think anyone in the England is offended in the slightest when the Scots/Welsh or Irish boo us: we just don't see it as disrespectful. I also don't think people were outraged in 96 when we booed the Germans. 

There's the wider point of trying to sterilise the experience of being a fan and I'm sure we'll see further normal fan reactions being analysed and criticised by people who don't understand it, for example thuggish RL fans daring to boo the kicker.

Call me crazy, but I don't think football or RL will be improved if it is made more like Wimbledon. 

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’m reasonably patriotic, I think this country is fantastic. But like you I’ve never sung the national anthem or anything like that. But also have never booed anyone else’s. Except maybe Leeds’ one 😄

I've only ever been international RL games. I don't remember booing the Aussies anthem but I can't guarantee it.

I'm also not some xenophobic anti-Australian bigot. 

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've only ever been international RL games. I don't remember booing the Aussies anthem but I can't guarantee it.

I'm also not some xenophobic anti-Australian bigot. 

For the occasional 80 mins now n then, I can be!!!🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

For the occasional 80 mins now n then, I can be!!!🤣🤣

In all seriousness, this is kind of the point. The me as a Widnes fan, bears little relation to the me in normal life.

This used to be understood (90 minute bigots for instance) but I suspect we'll see more and more fan behaviour frowned upon and anything a level up from Wimbledon will be met with outrage. 

3 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

In all seriousness, this is kind of the point. The me as a Widnes fan, bears little relation to the me in normal life.

This used to be understood (90 minute bigots for instance) but I suspect we'll see more and more fan behaviour frowned upon and anything a level up from Wimbledon will be met with outrage. 

Bordering of "out of forum topic" here.

As a fev fan, I'm not comfy this aft. Not at all

33 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I haven't sung or stood for the anthem in my adult life.

I haven't boo'd any anthems either.

I'll call it a draw.

I stood and sang the national anthem 

At the top of the stand in Toulouse as the band next to Carlos played it for me 😁

I’m always suspicious about really overt displays of patriotism, but I cannot think of anything more likely to motivate another man than booing his national anthem before a sporting encounter.

It’s mindless, idiotic and England fans have always done it en masse both past and present.

Given our comparative lack of success since 1966 it’s arguable that as a tactic to put off the opposition it doesn’t work.

Archived