EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

25 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The idea of bringing him on in the final minute for a penalty shootout is almost absurd. 

Without knowing how good or bad the players on the pitch were at penalties during training , I’m not sure it’s that clear cut.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Suppose Shearer or Lineker had been poor during training ground exercises, do you think they still wouldn’t be taking the penalties?

If shearer and lineker were on the bench with a few minutes left before penalties, would you bring them on?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Rashford had been in United's academy system since the age of seven. He's had a stellar career and no doubt that will continue.  He's been lauded by Ronaldo, Ibramovitch and others. He's highly paid because United value him highly and justifiably so.  A talent nurtured, protected, educated, training and coached at arguably the world's biggest soccer club, at least by their financials. He's not some park player who's struck it lucky. 

Like his colleagues, he's skilled, he's capable, he's used to the pressure to perform alongside other equally motivated and rewarded players, otherwise he'd not be at United. 

So why the brain fart on Sunday and why is it wrong to criticise him? 

You seem to want to criticise him, and him alone, without a response?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

37 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

With all due respect, the players brought on were not quite the equivalent of those two. But regardless, penalty shoot outs cannot be recreated on a training paddock.

Gareth has put his hand up and is taking it on the chin, fair play to him.

It could have been Pele on the bench, you'd still want him to have enough time on the field to get his game head on.

The late substitutions were an error. And it's one that is obvious to most people. The key thing is that there were also 120 minutes and an entire tournament's worth of decisions as well. Southgate, and every other manager, has to juggle what has happened, what is happening, and what can happen, all with very limited ability to genuinely change things once the players are on the pitch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Yes and if they’d scored, we’d be laughing and saying it was the correct decision.
Even if one of those players had managed to score it still could have been a different outcome, who knows what the next Italian penalty taker might have done? But this is just a reminder of how agonisingly close it was…..but wasn’t. Life goes on though and hopefully onto even better things. 

As I said in a conversation yesterday, Italy were the best team in the tournament and the dominant team in their semi final and in the final. And yet they needed penalties to win both games.

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It should also be mentioned that he hadn't played for almost the entire tournament. The idea of bringing him on in the final minute for a penalty shootout is almost absurd. 

Bringing two players on right at the end, just to take a pen was mind boggling. Was only ever going to go one way.

Could easily have brought one on at half time in extra time, as a straight swap for Sterling. And brought the other one on instead of Grealish if he didn't fancy Grealish to take a pen.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Rashford had been in United's academy system since the age of seven. He's had a stellar career and no doubt that will continue.  He's been lauded by Ronaldo, Ibramovitch and others. He's highly paid because United value him highly and justifiably so.  A talent nurtured, protected, educated, training and coached at arguably the world's biggest soccer club, at least by their financials. He's not some park player who's struck it lucky. 

Like his colleagues, he's skilled, he's capable, he's used to the pressure to perform alongside other equally motivated and rewarded players, otherwise he'd not be at United. 

So why the brain fart on Sunday and why is it wrong to criticise him? 

It's not. He's held his hand up and said it was a poor penalty, and that he accepts criticism of his performances.

My Scottish "friend", who was pushing that definition to the limit on Sunday night, claims that Rashford has peaked. I don't think so. However he will have to work hard to be a fixed name on the starting eleven for England. There's some serious talent in this squad. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

It did seem a strange option, even at the time it was obvious they wouldn’t have had time to get up to speed. My lad said Pickford would have been a better option.

I'm not a big footballer but I play a lot of darts and it takes me about 10 minutes before I can get into any sort of rhythm. Surely football has a similar aspect?

As I put earlier , given Southgates experience at penalty shootouts , you'd think he'd have done anything to avoid one ( not forgetting the Italian keepers reputation ) , but he basically did nothing 

We were playing against 2 35 yr old centre halfs , they were terrified of pace , we gave them Harry Kane , poor game reading , stuck to plan A when it was plain they had sussed it and stopped it , either get back on track or change to plan B 

Archived