EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I get that it looks bad, but I do think that more of made of it than it really is. I honestly think that most of those booing just see it as something you do to the opposing side. The proof of this is that we booed Denmark, literally nobody in England has strong feelings about Denmark.

On the flip side, here's a video of Scotland booing England's anthem. I don't think anyone in England felt disrespected by it; I certainly didn't. 

It's a bit like place kicking in rugby. In Union, booing the kicker is seen as very disrespectful but in RL it is par for the course. RL fans aren't horrible people in comparison, it's just a part of the culture.

Now attention has been drawn to it and it's become an issue of respect, it absolutely should stop but one thing about a lot of English people is that they don't like to be told what to do. This means that it will continue indefinitely and be another reason for people to hate us. 

It's actually their national anthem as well...

They had a chance to get rid of it altogether, but bottled it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked at The Times' head-to-head, and there are some decent players in that Italian side.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Niels said:

I'd rather not talk about that game. The penalty and result weren't important and I have never read or heard anyone from the football world discuss this aspect of it. 

Of course you don't.

If I was trying to make the point that England commited a grievous travesty against Denmark, I wouldn't want to talk about them doing the exact same thing in the same tournament either.

Call me crazy, but had England scored a goal earlier in the tournament by blatantly punching the ball into the net, it would've taken away from the hand of god outrage. 

Let's focus on big games then. Why was Sterling's penalty cheating but the one that led to the Danish free kick not cheating?

Why is Sterling's example so bad that it warrants Europe rooting for Italy, but Immoble actually cheating against Belgium not a reason to root against them? 

In my whole life I don't think I've ever made the argument that something was anti-English, but I think much of the response to Wednesday night falls into this category because it certainly doesn't hold up to the remotest of scrutiny. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Of course you don't.

If I was trying to make the point that England commited a grievous travesty against Denmark, I wouldn't want to talk about them doing the exact same thing in the same tournament either.

Call me crazy, but had England scored a goal earlier in the tournament by blatantly punching the ball into the net, it would've taken away from the hand of god outrage. 

Let's focus on big games then. Why was Sterling's penalty cheating but the one that led to the Danish free kick not cheating?

Why is Sterling's example so bad that it warrants Europe rooting for Italy, but Immoble actually cheating against Belgium not a reason to root against them? 

In my whole life I don't think I've ever made the argument that something was anti-English, but I think much of the response to Wednesday night falls into this category because it certainly doesn't hold up to the remotest of scrutiny. 

It has come to something that you, me and @gingerjon are apparently arguing the gammon side. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just looked at The Times' head-to-head, and there are some decent players in that Italian side.

I fancy is to win 2-0 though 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

It has come to something that you, me and @gingerjon are apparently arguing the gammon side. 

For a quite a while I used to spend an equal amount of time on a very feminist leaning message board as I did on this one. On that one, I was considered something of a reactionary right winger. On this one, less so ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I've been accused of some things on this forum in my time, but anti-Danish xenophobe has to top the lot.

The irony is that me and the wife were planning on going to Copenhagen of all places this summer for our 10th wedding anniversary, purely because of our mutual love of Danish TV series.

I almost replied to the comment with 'I'm not anti-Danish but...'

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Of course you don't.

This was the game where Christian Eriksen collapsed. Yussuf Poulsen the player fouled in the video was, along with Thomas Delaney, responsible for the the idea of making a human shield to protect Christian. 

After your point I did look but I thought Yussuf was caught from behind. He never appealed nor did any of the players. 

I think very few supporters remember this game for any of the football incidents.

13 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've been accused of some things on this forum in my time, but anti-Danish xenophobe has to top the lot.

The irony is that me and the wife were planning on going to Copenhagen of all places this summer for our 10th wedding anniversary, purely because of our mutual love of Danish TV series.

Nobody accused you of being anti-Danish.

I said people seemed to have a problem with the football team. 

I think the problem was the video from the fateful game being used to compare the penalties. It just came across as insensitive.

49 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Thankfully none of us have any attractive Danish wives. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

my wife looks like she's eaten a lot of bacon and drank a lot of carlsberg if that counts?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

And here's the problem with tomorrow's final - normally I can enjoy these, because there's no pressure.

Now that meddling Southgate character has got England to the Big One, so it'll be nerves all the way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I am slightly bothered that you have seen my wife on Facebook. I won’t tell her, it would break her heart 

22 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

My twopennorth:

England have done fantastic to get this far, win or lose, or lose on penalties I’m going to enjoy the occasion. An England victory will give so much joy to so many people, so I really hope they can do it.

The reaction to them beating Denmark has been, in places, pathetic. England have had the rough end of many decisions over the years and have had a bit of luck going their way for a change. I couldn’t give a monkeys if Sterling jumped up and down on the springboard before diving, England won. England were also the better side by some margin anyway. The Scots reaction has been basically racist but trying to come across as ‘light hearted’.

I grew up as a soccer mad kid and followed international football keenly and to this day my favourite WC is 1974 with the insane Dutch team led by Cruyff. And in all that time the Italians have been renowned for diving and cheating, so it’s beyond ironic that they try to point the finger now.

It’s been a great tournament and I aren’t working Monday so am gonna get hammered. 👌

I hope to watch the final with my Italian mate.  
England we’re screwed over in 1986 and by a more cynical team in 1990. 
Italy perhaps deserved to go out in 2002, but the refereeing was dubious. 
Danes have not had such experiences and I think it is needed in some cases. 
I sympathize with the young, but not the older ones. 

50 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And here's the problem with tomorrow's final - normally I can enjoy these, because there's no pressure.

Now that meddling Southgate character has got England to the Big One, so it'll be nerves all the way.

I said I would be less nervous for the semi-final and that proved to be nonsense. 

However, I honestly don't think I'll be as nervous tomorrow. Seeing England in a final was partly what I dreamed of, and anything else is a bonus. Maybe if it's really close or we're winning with 10 to go etc. 

In a totally non-self preservation way, I think Italy will win quite straight forwardly tomorrow. I'm not giving up hope, but I see a similar game to the 1997 qualifier at Wembley. Relatively early goal to take the wind out of the crowd, followed by England trying hard but not getting too close for the rest of the game.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It’s an old cliche to say the game is won and lost in midfield, but I think it will be a truism tomorrow.

If Phillips and Rice can contain Italy then I believe our pace up front with Sterling can undo the experienced, but ageing defence of the Azzurri.

However, on paper I reckon the Italians will think they have the edge with Verratti, Jorginho and Barella who have played well as a midfield unit during the tournament.

Interestingly, I saw a rerun of the Euro 96 semi-final today and England booed the bejeesus out of the German anthem. 

I'm genuinely intrigued by the whole thing. Instinctively it feels like something we've always done but the sudden focus made me think it hadn't been. If you'd have asked me before the tournament, do I think booing anthems in football is a problem I would've probably said no. It's just part of being a partisan fan. God knows I've shouted some things at Wire and Leigh over the years 😂.

Now it's being focused on, I do wonder whether other non-UK countries do it and realise it's not a good look if only we do it.

Another thing that I find interesting is the constant misunderstanding of the Three Lions song. Non-Brits just can't get their head around it and see it as some arrogant assertion of our superiority. 

Archived