Match Thread: Championship Round 9, Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Sunday-13th-June-2021

Still no squad announcement from us, so it's the usual situation of trying to piece together what's on the RFL match centre page on their revamped website.

They seem to have decided only to list 17 players in a 21-man squad, and they seem to have listed them in alphabetical order.

So according to that website we have named Beckett, Brown, Cooper, Dagger, Davies, Day, Field, Gale, Hall, Halton, Hardcastle, Holmes, Jones, Kopczak, Lockwood, Lussick, and McConnell.

So assuming that's correct Bussey, Chisholm, Doyle, Ferres, and Harrison all remain out as well as the suspended Blackmore. Presumably Welham too though as his name starts with a W we can't be sure.

The remaining four who are later in the alphabet would presumably be Minns, Moors, Parata and perhaps Spence, unless I've forgotten anybody?

It's like a  weekly murder mystery trying to unravel our squad listing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The remaining four who are later in the alphabet would presumably be Minns, Moors, Parata and perhaps Spence, unless I've forgotten anybody?

It's like a  weekly murder mystery trying to unravel our squad listing.

Gonna change my user name to Poirot.

So...none of the absentees back this week. Does explain why we have had to dip into the loan market. Before the Widnes game Webster had seemed optimistic we had a few players close to their return, so it looks like some of the injuries may have been worse than we imagined. Would be good if we could get some injury updates.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Based on what we have to go on, my guess for the 17 would be:
Hall/Dagger
Gale
Hardcastle
Minns
Hall/Dagger
Brown
Holmes
Kopczak
Jones
Moors
Halton
Day
Lockwood
subs
Parata
Cooper/Field
Lussick
Davies

This. Hally FB, Mick Jagger on the wing, Coops 18th man.

Coach may start with Lussick, Moors 2nd rown as per recent weeks and Halton off the bench?

39 minutes ago, plug said:

The welham situation is a strange one is he still with us or has he had a fall out just strange with him not playing it was said to be covid related but how many weeks has it been now

He's just switched to part time rugby career, if he's been off from Fev & his job away from the game might have decided to hang up his boots and retire, Club might have given him a good chunk of time to think about it b4 announcing. All pure speculation, let's hope he's back soon. 

As far as the injury situation is concerned the club appears to be of the opinion that the supporters do not really need to know the injuries and length of time each player is likely to be missing. The PR is not really very good in fact it is pretty bad.Why the secret , you tell me !!!!

56 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

Does anyone know why Fev haven't announced a plan for the Peter Fox trophy?. Bulls hosted it last year and his family are pretty disappointed about it on twitter.

This clearly shouldn't have been the case but thankfully it appears it has now been put right and the trophy will be played for after someone at Featherstone contacted the family member (whose comment incidentally was aimed at both clubs).

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This clearly shouldn't have been the case but thankfully it appears it has now been put right and the trophy will be played for after someone at Featherstone contacted the family member (whose comment incidentally was aimed at both clubs).

https://bradfordbulls.co.uk/article/590/bradford-and-featherstone-to-remember-late,-great-peter-fox

It shouldn't, glad it has got sorted, Bulls planned it last year and the family were invited, I don't see how the Bulls can be blamed when the game is at Featherstone?. Same as if the Bulls didn't organise anything we would be to blame.

6 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

https://bradfordbulls.co.uk/article/590/bradford-and-featherstone-to-remember-late,-great-peter-fox

It shouldn't, glad it has got sorted, Bulls planned it last year and the family were invited, I don't see how the Bulls can be blamed when the game is at Featherstone?. Same as if the Bulls didn't organise anything we would be to blame.

Don't take it up with us, I was just quoting his daughter who stated that "neither club deems playing for his trophy important enough to arrange." Anyway, it's been sorted now which is the main thing.

12 hours ago, haskey said:

As far as the injury situation is concerned the club appears to be of the opinion that the supporters do not really need to know the injuries and length of time each player is likely to be missing. The PR is not really very good in fact it is pretty bad.Why the secret , you tell me !!!!

I agree with the general gist of this. I think the issue has been made worse though by the fact that two of the RoversTV features, the Preview and the Reaction bits, have been sporadic at best this season. How much of that is down to Covid, changes of personnel etc I don't know, but we haven't had a "Reaction" video since the Oldham game, and we have only had one preview, which was done by OurLeague, since the Hull FC Cup game. The Up The Rovers podcasts also stopped abruptly, presumably when Darren Harper's involvement with the club ceased, and we haven't had as much injury information in the online written previews recently as used to be the case.

That's a shame as Webster has generally given a fair bit of info on injuries when asked about them, but that hasn't happened lately. Thus we end up being reliant on hearsay to a degree.

The club has had a lot of changes in personnel in the last couple of months so we probably need to cut them a bit of slack and RoversTV in particular have presumably been faced with very tough circumstances. It's also true that some clubs these days are probably deliberately keeping back some injury news for operational reasons (especially with 21-man squads giving more "wiggle room") though I don't think that's what has been happening with us as Webster has been quite open in interviews.

Hopefully we'll start to get more interviews, previews etc soon.

I watched Bradford's game against Newcastle and they looked a much better team than when they played us in the Cup. They kept to a typically Kear game plan of direct running from one out, trying to win the collisions and get fast play-the-balls, and they generally dominated around the ruck. Newcastle were able to keep in the game because Bradford gave away a few silly penalties and set restarts, there were a couple of errant kicks from Brough too which gifted them field position, but Bradford made far more metres, and although Newcastle had plenty of attacking opportunities, for the most part Bradford looked difficult to break down.

So I think we'll need to play well this weekend...if we perform like we did for the last hour against Widnes I think we'll be in trouble. Like us they have one or two missing, Brough the obvious absentee but there are a couple of others (and all bar one of their loanees have been recalled). Our status as being one of the clear top two clubs with a big gap to the rest has been a bit wobbly over the last couple of games despite extending our long unbeaten run against Championship teams, it would be good if we could produce a convincing performance this weekend.

I reckon with the weather likely to be hot,  even early evening. It is partly going to be who organises the subs best.

🏟 | Stadium Access Please use the below guide to find your way into the Millennium Stadium:

For Main Stand - Use Gate 1️⃣

For Post Office Road Terrace - Use Gate 1️⃣

For Bradford Bulls Fans - Use Gate 4️⃣

For The Stable - Use Gate 5️⃣

For the Community Stand - Use Gate 7️⃣

Archived