State of Origin I

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queensland were terrible. Particularly the execution of their shift plays, no timing, no structure etc.

But NSW were excellent... couldn't fault them.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Tommy Turbo unbelievably good this season , playing everywhere tonight .The Blues backline working off the Penrith halves combination just tore Queensland to pieces over and over . The Maroons were just so way off the pace , outwide they were grasping thin air

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm guessing Just Eat was already taken in Aussie! Bit like Burger King/Hungry Jack's.

Nah Hungry Jack’s is a much better story than that, the way I was told it in marketing school - pretty sure it’s an amusing local franchise partner falling out with Big Corporate, endless court cases, end result he still gets to use their branding etc etc. You see Burger Kings in airports, only air-side, because it’s outside the jurisdiction of the agreement... gotta love a David beats Goliath story 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Tommy Turbo unbelievably good this season , playing everywhere tonight .The Blues backline working off the Penrith halves combination just tore Queensland to pieces over and over . The Maroons were just so way off the pace , outwide they were grasping thin air

For me he’s the best player in the world at the moment, certainly the most individually impactful. Think Fittler knows he’s a better FB than James Tedesco, but whilst Tedesco is great there Tommy is so good he can still have the same impact from the centres (or notionally from the centres) so why not play ‘em both.  

Seemed like he defended at centre, but in attack was used as an outside centre on either side the way they used to play in the old days 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

17 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

For me he’s the best player in the world at the moment, certainly the most individually impactful. Think Fittler knows he’s a better FB than James Tedesco, but whilst Tedesco is great there Tommy is so good he can still have the same impact from the centres (or notionally from the centres) so why not play ‘em both.  

Seemed like he defended at centre, but in attack was used as an outside centre on either side the way they used to play in the old days 

Definitely agree that he is having the biggest impact on games.

I would probably have Cleary as the best in the game at the moment though, his control of a game while still offering his own attacking threat is superb.

There was a time after Cronk and Thurston retired that the Kangaroos weren't as dominant in the halves as they have been previously, with a 30+ year old Cherry-Evans being first choice despite being well behind the two previously mentioned for about a decade.

That window has firmly closed with Cleary (who is still only 23) already living up to his potential.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Good to see Sky has the full match build-up.

Channel Nine loves its legends, doesn't it. Makes a change from Braith Anasta and Mick Ennis, I suppose!

I really like Ennis. Mainly because he simplifies plays in a way even I can understand. 

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would probably have Cleary as the best in the game at the moment though, his control of a game while still offering his own attacking threat is superb.

There was a time after Cronk and Thurston retired that the Kangaroos weren't as dominant in the halves as they have been previously, with a 30+ year old Cherry-Evans being first choice despite being well behind the two previously mentioned for about a decade.

That window has firmly closed with Cleary (who is still only 23) already living up to his potential.

Yes, it’s paper-thin between him and Cleary. Agree he’s a better all-round player, and scary to think what sort of half he’ll be in his late 20’s given where he is at 23.

Potential immortal if he continues to develop... especially if Penrith can build a history of trophies around him, that’s the crux I think really, replicate Melbourne’s multi-year consistency 

4 minutes ago, Aerosaint said:

I really like Ennis. Mainly because he simplifies plays in a way even I can understand. 

Ennis is the sort of analyst we’re crying out for in the UK; Cronk’s the same, subtly reveals the complexity of our surface-level-simple game to us laymen 

10 minutes ago, Aerosaint said:

Anyone get on Turbo at 14/1 for the first try? Seemed very generous to me and I won £30, after my £2 bet. 

Nice one . That was a generous price 

World's Top 11 Players (a class above everyone else) 

James Tedesco

Tom Trbojevic

Latrell Mitchell

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Nathan Cleary

Jack Wighton

Cameron Munster

Harry Grant

Reece Walsh

Sam Walker

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

6 are from NSW

4 are from Queensland (2 of them too young to play yet)

1 is from New Zealand.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'd have to agree with you on Cleary, was outstanding. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

If I was picking a park side and could pick one player in the world to win the game for us, it would be Turbo T. Probably the world’s best right now. Devastating.

World's best in 2 positions. What a player.

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

World's Top 11 Players (a class above everyone else) 

James Tedesco

Tom Trbojevic

Latrell Mitchell

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Nathan Cleary

Jack Wighton

Cameron Munster

Harry Grant

Reece Walsh

Sam Walker

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

6 are from NSW

4 are from Queensland (2 of them too young to play yet)

1 is from New Zealand.

Is that the same Jack Wighton who has been out of form for most of this season and can’t make the Blues run on side ?

Walker & Walsh,behave they are talented & have huge potential but are nowhere near the best in the world.

9 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

On the one hand QLD were terribe. On the other, that NSW team beats England playing like that. 

Pretty much every Origin team from the last 15 years beats every England team from the last 15 years sadly. And I include the NSW team that lost 8 series in a row. The Aussies are just better than us in every department. Sad but in my opinion true.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Think he invented his own position this morning

To be fair to Fittler, I think he did. It takes real balls as a coach to play to your team’s strengths to the extent that you ignore established structural thinking... like Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle but with a competently organised defence at the same time.

NSW either played with two FB in attack, like a triple (?) pivot, or a modern version of the inside/outside centre instead of left/right? I’m going to have to watch the game again to see what it was really, but whatever it was a team led by a defensive-orientated coach couldn’t handle it. Most of the outside backs’ impact was through the middle as well - apparently the back 5 of NSW made 1,000 metres alone. That’s nuts, like off the charts nuts. 

The killer moment for me was TT, the notional right centre, playing in a left edge sweep pulling off a left-foot grubber for MM the left centre to score. Love it 

Archived