Sat 12-Sun13 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

37 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

With 13.5k stadium the minimum should be 2350 if there are enough entrance points.

Doesn’t help two stands are closed. One for players/officials and one that’s unclear on the reasons why

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They are not very good after all the hype in their direction.

Lot of ex-SL players who're maybe coming to the end of their career? I said last week they look less than their sum of their parts, which is not really what you expect from a James Ford coached team. I guess when you add 10 players to a squad in the close season it takes a while for things to come together (Dixon, Atkins, Jones-Bishop, Kirmond, Nikau, Cuthbertson amongst others).

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

Lot of ex-SL players who're maybe coming to the end of their career? I said last week they look less than their sum of their parts, which is not really what you expect from a James Ford coached team. I guess when you add 10 players to a squad in the close season it takes a while for things to come together (Dixon, Atkins, Jones-Bishop, Kirmond, Nikau, Cuthbertson amongst others).

Hi Jon, but you would think with all the experience those player's can lend upon they would have had a bit more cohesion than they are showing.

One of two things comes to mind, are those player's past their sell by date, or has James Ford been performing above his ability previously?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Jon, but you would think with all the experience those player's can lend upon they would have had a bit more cohesion than they are showing.

One of two things comes to mind, are those player's past their sell by date, or has James Ford been performing above his ability previously?

Of the York games I've watched, Kieran Dixon still worries the opposition any time he gets the ball in a bit of space, Atkins, Ben Jones-Bishop & Cuthbertson all look too good to be in the championship, Matty Marsh always looks dangerous. Just not quite there in terms of playing as a team.

15 minutes ago, JonM said:

The oldest guy on the pitch got the MOM, Scott Grix.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Of the York games I've watched, Kieran Dixon still worries the opposition any time he gets the ball in a bit of space, Atkins, Ben Jones-Bishop & Cuthbertson all look too good to be in the championship, Matty Marsh always looks dangerous. Just not quite there in terms of playing as a team.

Is that down to the coach?

In 2019 15 of our 21 wins were by 10 or less points. It seems since 2018 (when despite playing the likes of West Wales and Hemel we actually played some really entertaining rugby) we’ve setup every game to just grind out the win. It worked in 2019, but didn’t work in 2020, and certainly isn’t working in 2021. 

We’ve assembled one of the slowest backlines in the league when we needed players with pace - even Dixon who is a fast player seems to have lost a yard of pace and has been caught I think 3 times when he’s been going length of the pitch.

The one position where I think York really needed an ex SL player who’s lost a yard of pace but can still direct us around the pitch was in the halves. We’ve never replaced Ben Cockayne but that was 2 years ago now.

However well played Halifax, they’ve really played some good stuff today and looks like they might battle Bradford for that 3rd spot.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

The oldest guy on the pitch got the MOM, Scott Grix.

Testament to how fit he still is - pretty warm to be playing RL at midday.

13 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

It’s so strange how they did so well straight from League 1, then recruited a number of Super League players - presumably on big money - and have been very underwhelming. 

Whilst what they achieved in 2019 was great, you have to look at in context. Several teams essentially took a year off waiting for Toronto to get out the way and were at their weakest points. 2020 York were winless and looking really poor. Yorks performances this year aren't really a surprise to me, the signs were already there last year.

21 minutes ago, JonM said:

Dixon's ability to tackle is akin to under 9s rugby. If I were a winger I'd love to.play against him. Ask Gaz Gale.

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah but look at who they had to play in those first games of 2020 toulouse leigh broncos and fax.  Three full time teams there.  Again this season they have already played toulouse fev and Bradford.  Let York get through the also rans and they could still be on for playoffs. 

Yeah true. 

Archived