Sat 12-Sun13 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Can only help but if they could do some grassroots and community work in Sheffield and the South Yorkshire region like the Newcastle thunder do then that would help as well.

They've just hired a full-time development officer.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Can only help but if they could do some grassroots and community work in Sheffield and the South Yorkshire region like the Newcastle thunder do then that would help as well.

I did just that in 1992. Spent the summer working with the then development office Tim Butcher, with Mark Aston and Daryl Powell. I was astonished by the apathy towards the sport back then and how difficult it was to get kids even picking up a ball.

I'm not a heartlands only type but here in Rovrum rugby league might as well be played on Mars.

I'm not sure they will ever get anywhere near a level of support that will sustain them at this level much longer.

11 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Double post

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

It was Tim butcher. I think Ralph rimmer replaced him in the mid 90s

Ralph Rimmer helped start a rugby league session at my son's school. This got him and me into the game in about 1997.

After that some of the platers were involved - Jean-Marc Garcia and Darren Shaw helped start the Eckington Eagles junior side.

8 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

What's the objective of the development officer? Will the Eagles be replicating what Newcastle Thunder have been doing?

Google it. The NE have had a vibrant community game for years. South Yorkshire and North Midlands have had a real struggle to keep going.

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

Ralph Rimmer helped start a rugby league session at my son's school. This got him and me into the game in about 1997.

After that some of the platers were involved - Jean-Marc Garcia and Darren Shaw helped start the Eckington Eagles junior side.

Was Ian Annis involved then too? I know he was most active with Hillsborough but he worked with lots of other organisations.

He was a good lad was Ian, bless him.

Just now, Robin Evans said:

Was Ian Annis involved then too? I know he was most active with Hillsborough but he worked with lots of other organisations.

He was a good lad was Ian, bless him.

Yes, he was always supportive of the wider game and not just at Hillsborough. Sadly missed.

Here's the article about the development officer.

https://www.sheffieldeagles.com/Eagles-News/article/andrea-dobson-rugby-development/

39 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Was delighted Eagles won yesterday as I want them in Champ next year in their shiny new stadium, pulling in 2000.  

Newcastle same, hope they get the result and stay up this year.  Successful teams in cities with modern infrastructure are vital to the sport. 

2,000 if there is a big away following. Even then it will be stretching it.

Archived