Sat 12-Sun13 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Widnes 8 London 6 after 35 mins. London well ahead on possession and territory, but some poor ends to sets in the Widnes half. No penalties conceded by London for the first 30+ minutes, then two in the space of a minute.

Another poor end to a set from London gives Widnes a try just before HT. Sammut kicked straight to Adam Lawton under the posts, who drew a couple of tacklers, offloaded to Deon Cross who went 90m to score. Could've been worse for London if Jack Owens hadn't bombed a 3 to 1 overlap near the line with seconds left in the half.

14-6 HT.

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Who is rumoured to be missing? They seem to have had plenty out every week yet have still been running up huge wins.

Missing bretherton, peyroux, shaumkel, dixon, armitage, white, ader . 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

They are not very good after all the hype in their direction.

But the people who were hyping them weren't people who watched them. They just read the results and looked at the league table.

When York were promoted in 2018 my first target was avoiding relegation.  As the season progressed the expectation went up;  perhaps a mid table finish, then top 5 etc.  To finish 3rd was incredible.  But everyone associated with the club knew they were overachieving.  Fev hammered them 3 times and Toronto did much the same.

Prior to the 2021 season people started tipping them for the play offs again and I could not work out why.  The ex SL players they brought in didn't particularly excite, with the possible exception of Cuthbertson.  I don't understand some of the signings, particularly Washbrook and Kirmond but also had question marks next to Clarkson, Atkins and Jones Bishop. We had lost a settled half back pairing of Robinson and Harris and then lost our first choice half back injured before the season even started.  As a result we have lacked direction.

It is very difficult to bring in so many new players and get them cohesive with no regular half back pairing when you see them at training twice a week. 

Anyway, my expectation is mid table, which might sound disappointing.  But if you'd said in 2018 that in 2021 we'd be a mid table Championship side, I'd have taken that. 

London player penalised on his own 10m line for stepping over the ball and not playing the ball with his foot. Unapologetic Pedant would be delighted. Widnes capitalise, but Tyrer misses the conversion. 22-18 with 9 minutes to go.

22-24 London take the lead for the first time in the game with 2 minutes to go, with a somewhat dubious pass, after a great ball steal from Aston and a sharp break from Sammut.

24 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Players off the field at Swinton v Newcastle due to a spectator taken ill. Medics attending, but BBC radio Manchester don't expect play to resume.

The spectator has been taken to hospital by ambulance and the final 20 minutes will now be played.

Best wishes to the person who collapsed. Apparently the doctor at the ground and both clubs' medical staff acted quickly in coming to their assistance.

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

22-24 London take the lead for the first time in the game with 2 minutes to go, with a somewhat dubious pass, after a great ball steal from Aston and a sharp break from Sammut.

I will take the last gasp win. What do you mean dubious pass - have you not heard about the momentum rule 😉. Anyway game in the books now.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

22 minutes ago, JonM said:

London player penalised on his own 10m line for stepping over the ball and not playing the ball with his foot. 

Ridiculous if the law is only occasionally applied, going to be interesting in the RLWC with the Aussies correctly executing the PTB every time and any team with a preponderance of UK players just rolling it backwards because they have been allowed to do it for years.

I expected a tougher game for Fax today but apart from a 10 minute spell in the second half it was pretty convincing. We are hitting a bit of form now which makes the games we threw away against Oldham and Bradford even more annoying. Batley away in a couple of weeks is a huge game for us in regards the top 4 because we have a nice run of fixtures through to August and the Toulouse game in which we should win most of them.

The top 6 does look to be from 7 teams now and with Fax not having to go to London or York and Bradford not going to Toulouse could have big barrings on final standings.

Archived