Sat 12 Jun: SL: Leigh Centurions v Catalans Dragons KO 15:00

Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/06/21 at 14:30

21 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Thanks for your amazing insight

Why does any praise or encouragement for Leigh Centurions trouble you so much ? 

Because he considers everything he spouts to be correct, there is never any maybe's or if such a thing, he is what we refer to around our part as a "knowall" or colloquially described as a nob.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/06/2021 at 18:11, Manfred Mann said:

Catalans by at least 47; with Davies grabbing 3 tries and Kasiano and Tomkins 2 tries each.

Maloney a field goal on half time.

Talking about "knowalls" you were only at least 41 points out Manfred, have you tried any other sports?

Back to the game, Leigh played a very expansive game in the first half which had Catalan bamboozled at times, went completely away from the structured norm which in recent weeks they easily overcame Saints and Wigan.

In the second half Cats deprived Leigh of the ball through quick play the balls and themselves throwing it about a lot more, but to their credit Leigh hit back in the last 15mins and could do easily have taken the game into Golden point extra time after breaking the Catalan line twice in the last 5mins but poor execution on the final pass with mors than one man in space saw the ball go to ground. 

After Cats last two games a very comendable effort from Leigh, the last thing I will say is those who look at the sequence of  scoring and say Catalan turned off, would have to be at the game and view it in its entirety to make such a judgement.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Because he considers everything he spouts to be correct, there is never any maybe's or if such a thing, he is what we refer to around our part as a "knowall" or colloquially described as a nob.

And he predicted Catalans to win by 47!

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He is my wife and I claim my £10.😄

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

As expected, the injection of emerging French superstar Artur Mourgue into the. contest has taken the game to a new level. Leigh just can’t compete with a young player of Mourgue’s quality.

ha ha..

He, Mourgue, comes on and Leigh score 12 unanswered points and nearly get a draw.   Good prediction.

So we have Catalan concede 30 points against a winless bottom of table team and still win.   This after well beating Wigan and Saints. Yes, strange times.

On 10/06/2021 at 18:11, Manfred Mann said:

Catalans by at least 47; with Davies grabbing 3 tries and Kasiano and Tomkins 2 tries each.

Maloney a field goal on half time.

Close , try again next week 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Talking about "knowalls" you were only at least 41 points out Manfred, have you tried any other sports?

He struggles with RL,don’t go confusing him more by adding another sport.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Back to the game, Leigh played a very expansive game in the first half which had Catalan bamboozled at times, went completely away from the structured norm which in recent weeks they easily overcame Saints and Wigan.

In the second half Cats deprived Leigh of the ball through quick play the balls and themselves throwing it about a lot more, but to their credit Leigh hit back in the last 15mins and could do easily have taken the game into Golden point extra time after breaking the Catalan line twice in the last 5mins but poor execution on the final pass with mors than one man in space saw the ball go to ground. 

After Cats last two games a very comendable effort from Leigh, the last thing I will say is those who look at the sequence of  scoring and say Catalan turned off, would have to be at the game and view it in its entirety to make such a judgement.

Thanks for that synopsis, Harry.

I managed to catch the closing stages on the BBC radio commentary, which was at first pleasing and then a bit nerve-racking for a fan of Les Dracs like me.

It seems from what you say that a willingness to move the ball around gave both teams, when they did that, a period of dominance.  That is great news for the neutral fan.  That is how I feel the game should be played (and incidentally, is what I suspect attracted many disillusioned, French union fans to our code when they first saw league in the 1930s)  It is a great improvement on the tactical conservatism, often effective but a tedious spectacle, that is one-pass-at-a-time play.

I suppose you could argue that the result was the ideal one from a Catalans' point of view.  Their youngsters almost learnt the hard way about mentally switching off, thinking the job was done, but didn't quite, so boarded the plane for home with both the two points under their belt and a salutary lesson about concentration to add to their mind-bank of experience.

HLet us not get carried away by Leigh’s performance today. Leigh has managed to cobble together a team combining Catalans rejects and homeless former Toronto team members, plus former Wigan and Wales Hohaia basher Ben Flower —- topped off with former Manly and Roosters utility back Brendan Elliot, and former Wigan and Catalans winger Lewis Tierney, as Leigh’s best players. There are no graduates of the nonexistent Leigh Academy. 

Leigh’s main asset is a decent stadium, more than appropriate for Championship games. I see no reason not to believe that Leigh will be back in its element, fighting a fierce battle with Featherstone, Bradford, London and Newcastle for top place in the Championship In 2022.

11 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Leigh has managed to cobble together a team combining Catalans rejects and homeless former Toronto team members as the dominant performers. There are no graduates of the nonexistent Leigh Academy. 

Leigh’s main asset is a decent stadium, more than appropriate for Championship games. I see no reason not to believe that Leigh will be back in its element, fighting a fierce battle with Featherstone, Bradford, London and Newcastle for top place in the Championship In 2022.

Nah. You will be beaten to that privilege by my team, Salford. Don’t you worry.

Positive for Leigh - sounds like a really good performance; even if for 60mins. Learning points for bigger games ahead. 

Positive for Catalan too; not at their best but still won. A sign of resilience that’s not always been on show by the club when playing in England. Exciting times for them.

34 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Let us not get carried away by Leigh’s performance today. Leigh has managed to cobble together a team combining Catalans rejects and homeless former Toronto team members —- topped off with former Manly and Roosters utility back Adam Elliot, and former Wigan and Catalans winger Lewis Tierney, as Leigh’s best players. There are no graduates of the nonexistent Leigh Academy. 

Who is Adam Elliott? 

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

Who is Adam Elliott? 

The man who is widely known as Brendan Elliot, which is the name shown on his birth certificate.

When he is playing for Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, he uses the name Adam Elliot.

🤠🤠

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

HLet us not get carried away by Leigh’s performance today. Leigh has managed to cobble together a team combining Catalans rejects and homeless former Toronto team members, plus former Wigan and Wales Hohaia basher Ben Flower —- topped off with former Manly and Roosters utility back Brendan Elliot, and former Wigan and Catalans winger Lewis Tierney, as Leigh’s best players. There are no graduates of the nonexistent Leigh Academy. 

Bless, you're trying to upset us Leigh Centurions supporters........must  try harder. 😃

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Positive for Leigh - sounds like a really good performance; even if for 60mins. Learning points for bigger games ahead. 

Positive for Catalan too; not at their best but still won. A sign of resilience that’s not always been on show by the club when playing in England. Exciting times for them.

You are correct about Catalans. However they should never have made the mistakes which allowed Leigh to score three tries in the first half, and they should never have clocked off after they took the 36-18 lead. The coach needs to instill in the players a more consistently relentless and unwavering attitude in both attack and defence for the full 80 minutes, such as they showed against Wigan and St. Helens.

10 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The man who is widely known as Brendan Elliot, which is the name shown on his birth certificate.

When he is playing for Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, he uses the name Adam Elliot.

🤠🤠

Oh, OK. 

I'll address him as Adam the next time I see him.

You sure Adam has played for Canterbury? 

I know an Ice cream seller called Adam in Kent! 😂 

Archived