Thu 10 Jun: SL: Castleford Tigers v Hull FC KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/06/21 at 19:15

7 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Red Card in the Championship or League 1.

I think the tackle was more momentum combined with poor technique than intent.  The 2nd tackler, Houghton, caused the main issue and barring him coming in I think a penalty would’ve been enough.  From the video could've   caught Fosters head with his knee or hand.

Unfortunately it seems like a bad injury and on that point I think there will be a ban.  Hicks didn’t give a Card and I didn’t see or hear him put the tacklers on report.  Did he?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Dunedan said:

Jake Connor has all the talent in the world but ye gods he's difficult to like.

Who....him?

May be an image of 3 people, people playing sport and outdoors

To be quite honest, I'd rather he cut some of his antics out but only if it didn't affect his game.

He's a match winner and does stuff that only Jake Connor can do.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I think the tackle was more momentum combined with poor technique than intent.  The 2nd tackler, Houghton, caused the main issue and barring him coming in I think a penalty would’ve been enough.  From the video could've   caught Fosters head with his knee or hand.

Unfortunately it seems like a bad injury and on that point I think there will be a ban.  Hicks didn’t give a Card and I didn’t see or hear him put the tacklers on report.  Did he?

As a neutral observer of this game, that's how I saw it, too.

10 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Should be a yellow card, the tackle took him over the horizontal and then was driven, unintentionally, head first into the ground. Hope he's ok 

I didn't see it as "head first". That conjures up the image of a pile driver. It seemed to me at the time that it was marginaly over the "hips higher than head"test.

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I didn't see it as "head first". That conjures up the image of a pile driver. It seemed to me at the time that it was marginaly over the "hips higher than head"test.

It wasn't a pile driver, but his head was the first part of his body to hit the ground and his legs were above the horizontal prior to this, with the tacklers momentum driving the impact.

There can't be any ambiguity in cases like this imo. Should be a yellow card minimum

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Very happy with a win.  Tough game with both teams playing on fumes.

Playing 5 days after a semi final is nothing short of stupid. Player welfare?  RFL just playing at it.  

Sky pick the fixtures they want to view and decide which gets moved to a Thursday, not the RFL.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

10 hours ago, wilsontown said:

Thought that was enjoyable. Good tries and a bit of needle.

Yes. Highlights reel of this match, especially the first two tries, would look pretty impressive.

Seventeen year old Fijian kid moves from an Army base in Germany to Yorkshire when his parents move takes up RL, gets an academy scholarship, his mum follows him to every game. Gets called up from school to come and play in the first team (on a school night) and scores a brilliant try in the first few minutes. I think that's the story - happy to be corrected if not?

Followed by a bunch of miserable old folks moaning about the quality of the game, the ref, the day the game is being played, the lack of characters these days, the ball not being played properly 😉 ?

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Seventeen year old Fijian kid moves from an Army base in Germany to Yorkshire when his parents move takes up RL, gets an academy scholarship, his mum follows him to every game. Gets called up from school to come and play in the first team (on a school night) and scores a brilliant try in the first few minutes. I think that's the story - happy to be corrected if not?

Pretty much - the only correction from me would be that his try was in the very first minute. 50 seconds on the clock when he scored, more or less. And what a thing of wonder that try was - the step inside to wrong-foot the defender and then it's just shear pace that gets him over.

2 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

It wasn't a pile driver, but his head was the first part of his body to hit the ground and his legs were above the horizontal prior to this, with the tacklers momentum driving the impact.

There can't be any ambiguity in cases like this imo. Should be a yellow card minimum. 

Can't agree. Where do the officials draw the line?  Where does this start. 1 degree past horizontal? 2 degrees? 7.3 degrees? 

I do think, though under the new societal norm of "burn the wizard, burn the witch" he'll get a ban. 

40 minutes ago, JonM said:

Yes. Highlights reel of this match, especially the first two tries, would look pretty impressive.

Followed by a bunch of miserable old folks moaning about the quality of the game, the ref, the day the game is being played, the lack of characters these days, the ball not being played properly 😉 ?

Yes, but questions to be asked.

Cas rubbish one game, brilliant next, rubbish the following one.  Hull sort out Leeds, double tap wipe out by Saints (who were marmalised by the Dragons on the way) then give a good seeing to last night to Cas.

Meantime Wire had already beat Cas, hammered Salford then inept this time against Cas.

And of course because of Covid, 4 teams will have to squeeze games in, and we find Wigan not playing for 2 weeks.  If I may remind people I suggested that all loops should have been dropped and only 22 games this season to give space for fixtures to be fitted in.

Funny old game.

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Can't agree. Where do the officials draw the line?  Where does this start. 1 degree past horizontal? 2 degrees? 7.3 degrees? 

I do think, though under the new societal norm of "burn the wizard, burn the witch" he'll get a ban. 

Yes.  And how late is 'late' especially in a moving situation when attempting to bring down a player.

12 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

You choose that one moment to comment about Connor? The young lad was great on his feet and would probably have beaten most in a one on one.

Connor went on to be hugely influential in Hull's win and I thought should have at least been a MOM candidate.

Not a very inspiring game sadly but one or two enjoyable tries

If he's got asperations to play full back at international level these things can't be ignored, he did lots of good things and his dealing with high kicks is sublime at times, you would hope with Hodgson as his coach that he is going to become the finished article, I don't have a problem with his 'niggle' I think at international level it's a useful tool to have and something we have lacked for quite a while, everything else we have tried for the last dozens of years has failed.

I always think that a all in brawl in the first couple of tackles is what we need to upset the Aussies, even in these sanitised times your unlikely to get sent off, a couple of yellows maybe but make a statement, rile them, present a new challenge out of their comfort zone, that's where Connor could come in with his constant chatter.

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Sky pick the fixtures they want to view and decide which gets moved to a Thursday, not the RFL.

Yeah, your right but my point stands, whoever is the decision maker.

It’s all about the spectacle.  Do we want to see fit players performing to their max or burned out, injured players on the touchlines and blow out scores.

It might not matter to Sky.  Their sports news at 0530 this morning showed 10 secs of Fonua going over the last 2 yards and then a 1 minute piece on RU showing Eddie Jones carrying a bag.

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Not to my knowledge.

Anyone with experience of playing centre fancy a run out for Hull next week?

That's Griffin, Tuimavave and Scott injured. Jude Ferriera would have been next in line for a debut but he's hurt too. We don't have any second rows who are particularly suited to playing centre either. Jake Connor may well have to slot in there for a few games. I don’t want to move him from full back but we are really struggling for options.

15 hours ago, JonM said:

He came through Cas U-16s, and his parents are Fijian. His mum will be the proudest woman in Yorkshire today, I reckon.  

She looked chuffed to bits.

His try was fantastic, classic in and away and he had the pace and confidence to pull it off.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

35 minutes ago, MZH said:

Anyone with experience of playing centre fancy a run out for Hull next week?

That's Griffin, Tuimavave and Scott injured. Jude Ferriera would have been next in line for a debut but he's hurt too. We don't have any second rows who are particularly suited to playing centre either. Jake Connor may well have to slot in there for a few games. I don’t want to move him from full back but we are really struggling for options.

Real shame for Cam Scott. Thought he looked the part last night and really seemed to be enjoying himself. Fonua was outstanding at centre last night. Probably his best game since his first spell at the club.

Agree about not wanting to move Connor but him at centre and Connor Wynne at full back wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Real shame for Cam Scott. Thought he looked the part last night and really seemed to be enjoying himself. Fonua was outstanding at centre last night. Probably his best game since his first spell at the club.

Agree about not wanting to move Connor but him at centre and Connor Wynne at full back wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Took the words out of my mouth mate.  Wynne was there last night.  But....

Sneyd & Houghton have to get past the forwards union at disciplinary yet and will Reynolds be fit?  He struggled first half.

11 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Who....him?

May be an image of 3 people, people playing sport and outdoors

To be quite honest, I'd rather he cut some of his antics out but only if it didn't affect his game.

He's a match winner and does stuff that only Jake Connor can do.

He's not difficult to like when he's on your side.

Brett Hodgson was pretty clear that he's not going to try and coach that edge out of him (I doubt anybody could anyway), quite right too. As for last night I thought he was a joy to watch. Ran through his repertoire of skills and showed his strength scoring a try while Peachey was trying to pull his head off.

19 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

True but Connor made up for it several times over. I'm surprised he didn't get the MoM award. He won't be selected at FB for England but I'd certainly have him in the squad he can cover a few positions.

Cas left out their entire spine and moved their best player McShane to half back where his effectiveness was much reduced. The result was that they had next to nothing to offer on attack.

Hull didn't have a lot to beat but that's not to say Cas didn't try they were stubborn at times. The result was never in doubt and when I saw Hull offered at -2 it looked like easy money and so it proved.

Shaun Wane commented that there are some things Connor needs to get out of his game before he's considered for England. We all know what he means but at the same time he's selected two of the biggest gob shites in the game ahead of Connor.

When you look at some of the mediocrity selected in the backs in the England squad you just wonder how we can leave out somebody with that much talent.

Evalds, O'brien, Trueman, Millington, matagi, Smith, Turner all missing, 5 of which played in the semi. Methane at half back and a 17 Yr old winger adds some perspective.

Now I'm very grateful for the Wembley appearance but not at the expense of relegation.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 11/06/2021 at 08:07, Hughsehhh said:

There can't be any ambiguity in cases like this imo. Should be a yellow card minimum

Sneyd no charge at the RFL Disciplinary.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived