Bullock to Warrington

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/will-joe-bullock-leave-wigan-warriors-to-join-warrington-wolves-3241565%3famp
Surprised at this. Whenever my team faced Wigan, Bullock was the forward I really took notice of. 
I haven’t seen as much of him this season but I am surprised Wigan haven’t secured him long term. I know they have lots of quality young forwards developing but Wigan’s more experienced props like Clubb and Singleton look to bring carrying too much weight IMHO, I would have thought Bullock offered real middle ground. 

Good wire signing.

3 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/will-joe-bullock-leave-wigan-warriors-to-join-warrington-wolves-3241565%3famp
Surprised at this. Whenever my team faced Wigan, Bullock was the forward I really took notice of. 
I haven’t seen as much of him this season but I am surprised Wigan haven’t secured him long term. I know they have lots of quality young forwards developing but Wigan’s more experienced props like Clubb and Singleton look to bring carrying too much weight IMHO, I would have thought Bullock offered real middle ground. 

Good wire signing.

The one prop we have that can bend/break the line,crazy decision to let him go and yet another example of Radlinski’s ineptitude when it comes to player recruitment/retention.

A bit of a middle of the road signing, but I'd trust Powell to make this sort of signing work over an unproven Aussie assistant (who would be used to having players presented to them already at a higher standard).

Holmes and Mata'utia look nailed on for an imminent announcement so I can see that Powell is prepared to shake things up with the senior players at Warrington.   What we lack at Wire is a few real leaders, and Holmes seems to fit that bill.   Hopefully there will be a couple more to come.

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

A bit of a middle of the road signing, but I'd trust Powell to make this sort of signing work over an unproven Aussie assistant (who would be used to having players presented to them already at a higher standard).

Holmes and Mata'utia look nailed on for an imminent announcement so I can see that Powell is prepared to shake things up with the senior players at Warrington.   What we lack at Wire is a few real leaders, and Holmes seems to fit that bill.   Hopefully there will be a couple more to come.

I wouldn’t say middle of the road myself, solid maybe but yes I would expect a coach like Powell to get the best from him. Reminds me a little of Paul Wood. 

Just now, Waynebennettswinger said:

I wouldn’t say middle of the road myself

I meant it in the sense of not being a 'star' prop to replace Hill, but certainly better than most young props available.   As you say, Powell is the man to make the difference between average and good on younger players.

39 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

That’s fair comment and I know it depends where others contracts are up to but personally I would have tried to keep him 

May be they did.   I've always liked him.  So sad to see him go. But we don't know what financial pressures there are and we do not know who may come in.

At 28 it's a good time maybe for Warrington who presumably are short of a prop. And a good time for Bullock to seal a good deal, or the best one he can get.

He can play well for Wire, he has a chance to show he is worth it for this season, although I don't really feel he has kicked on as he might.  But as I say, I like him and at 28 he ought to be at his prime.  

It all depends on 2 things we don’t know - how much are Wire paying him and who will we replace him with? There was hardly a fanfare when we picked up from Barrow, so I am guessing we can find someone else to take his place and bring them on. 

27 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It all depends on 2 things we don’t know - how much are Wire paying him and who will we replace him with? There was hardly a fanfare when we picked up from Barrow, so I am guessing we can find someone else to take his place and bring them on. 

True enough. Warrington maybe paying over the odds and Wigan might have a world beater lined up. My opinion of course but I would have let others go before him. As a fan of rival club, I always thought his performances stood out compared to most of the other more experienced Wigan forwards, but there may be others moving on too.

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I meant it in the sense of not being a 'star' prop to replace Hill, but certainly better than most young props available.   

Not exactly young, he'll be 29 by the time he joins Wire next season.

Having said that he's a decent pick up from Wire given the age of their current props

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Nathan Mason from Leigh apparently

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not exactly young, he'll be 29 by the time he joins Wire next season.

I didn’t realise he’d been around that long. Good job he’s a prop as they tend to peak late 20s anyway.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

Letting him go is a stupid decision.

Clubb is well past it, Singleton just isn't good enough and our much vaunted youngsters are all raw penalty machines.

Typical of Wigan lately.

Totally agree and his rumoured replacement is a 27 yr old who’s played a lot of his career on loan to Championship clubs.

In addition to Bullock, another odd proposed in and out at Wigan:

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-linked-with-former-manly-winger-40131/

Manfredi is a quality winger and was retained ahead of Davis and Burgess, presumably Miski is going to be on a lower wage if he's coming from London.

In addition, Mitch Clark has just been packed off to Newcastle, Gildart and Hastings are off to Wests, Leuluai will likely retire and there are others out of contract this year including the coach. 

Along with the Bullock situation, then maybe they are trying to either balance the books or saving up to pay William's a very big wage.

9 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

In addition to Bullock, another odd proposed in and out at Wigan:

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-linked-with-former-manly-winger-40131/

Manfredi is a quality winger and was retained ahead of Davis and Burgess, presumably Miski is going to be on a lower wage if he's coming from London.

In addition, Mitch Clark has just been packed off to Newcastle, Gildart and Hastings are off to Wests, Leuluai will likely retire and there are others out of contract this year including the coach. 

Along with the Bullock situation, then maybe they are trying to either balance the books or saving up to pay William's a very big wage.

Wigan appear to be 'gutting' a squad that quite frankly doesn't need to be. You could understand it at a club like Leeds who have fallen a long way since their glory days but Wigan are still consistently challenging for the title each year. Personally I think their issues lie off the field (Lam / Radlinski) rather than the playing squad they currently have.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

12 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Letting him go is a stupid decision.

Clubb is well past it, Singleton just isn't good enough and our much vaunted youngsters are all raw penalty machines.

Typical of Wigan lately.

Agree with that, and the love in still seems to be very to the fore with Smithies, he burst onto the scene with all the promise in the world I for one - maybe on my own - have not seen any improvement in him since.

Archived