Whitehaven Resignations

Hadn't seen this, but Whitehaven's Chairman (Tommy Todd) and their bar manager (also the licensee) quit last week over what looks like boardroom in-fighting. 

Today, it appears 4 more directors have also quit and from the (2nd) article below it looks like no-one has overall ownership control at the club.

This sounds like quite a mess, does anyone know what's going on and likely implications for the club?

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/whitehaven-chairman-resigns-amidst-ongoing-situation/

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/five-directors-quit-whitehaven/

47 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Hadn't seen this, but Whitehaven's Chairman (Tommy Todd) and their bar manager (also the licensee) quit last week over what looks like boardroom in-fighting. 

Today, it appears 4 more directors have also quit and from the (2nd) article below it looks like no-one has overall ownership control at the club.

This sounds like quite a mess, does anyone know what's going on and likely implications for the club?

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/whitehaven-chairman-resigns-amidst-ongoing-situation/

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/five-directors-quit-whitehaven/

None of the directors who’ve resigned have invested large sums of money into the club but obviously carried out various duties within the club so hopefully the impact will be minimal although Todd going is sad,I’ve heard a few rumours but that’s all they are at the moment.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

None of the directors who’ve resigned have invested large sums of money into the club but obviously carried out various duties within the club so hopefully the impact will be minimal although Todd going is sad,I’ve heard a few rumours but that’s all they are at the moment.

Is there an entity or person who does have actual overall control?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Is there an entity or person who does have actual overall control?

Don’t think so,two of the directors are the largest investors but couldn’t tell you who are the largest shareholders.

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

An entity ? Sounds spooky 

Whitehaven Rugby (Grand Cayman) Ltd

for example ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Another load of directors have walked today, leaving only 4 from the original 12 at he start of the season.

Why's this happening?

I hear, probably third hand, that those who wield the shares want to call the shots but don't want to do the hard work. Those who have left were the ones actually holding the club together over the years by sheer graft.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I hear, probably third hand, that those who wield the shares want to call the shots but don't want to do the hard work. Those who have left were the ones actually holding the club together over the years by sheer graft.

You heard wrong

2 groups basically in the 12 directors trying to get the overall power of the club so the chairman had enough and walked, also heard one of the directors threw a pint over a member of staff hence why the licencee pulled the licence cos of staff safety.

26 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

You heard wrong

Fair enough. What are the actual reasons then, please?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fair enough. What are the actual reasons then, please?

Reason I said that is from observation. Just what I’ve seen the guy who is possibly the main shareholder has done a helluva lot of work while he’s been down there. I couldn’t knock him at all. In fact some of those that’s left could learn from him. Just my opinion of course I’ve no inside information

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What’s this article that Whitehaven have mentioned in their press release?

Looks like the newspaper has removed it, presumably pending legal advice. Allegations of bullying I think.

9 hours ago, dkw said:

Another load of directors have walked today, leaving only 4 from the original 12 at he start of the season.

12 directors is about 8 too many 

So the numbers are now spot on 

Archived