Welsh Youth Pathways

Great to read and hear....well Done Wales Rugby League - and great link up for Salford to create that pathway.

Im continually bewildered as to why The RFL or even the rest of Super League clubs don't invest and have a development / scouting system in South Wales given the history of successful converts from Union into League.

Of course, the ideal scenario would be to have Crusaders (North Wales) and Raiders (West Wales) and another in the South fully pro in the championship/ Super League. Sadly so many mismanaged projects gone by over how ever many years on clubs in Wales.

I for one, hope this proves really fruitful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/57414278

Great little vid. They seem to be doing things right in Wales, good luck to all concerned. 

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Great little vid. They seem to be doing things right in Wales, good luck to all concerned. 

I still associate Welsh accents saying why they play RL with the "converts" of the past, where interviews were a painstaking exercise in not appearing venal and not offending anyone in their new surroundings or back home.

So to hear the two young players in this video is rather wonderful.

BTW, listening to the development manager featured at the end, do all Welshmen mispronounce Salford? I suppose a far greater number of Welsh place names will be misrendered by Englishmen.

Perhaps there`s a Welsh language explanation. Maybe Salford was known by the ancient Welsh as something like Sywlgffydd.

14 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Great to read and hear....well Done Wales Rugby League - and great link up for Salford to create that pathway.

Im continually bewildered as to why The RFL or even the rest of Super League clubs don't invest and have a development / scouting system in South Wales given the history of successful converts from Union into League.

Of course, the ideal scenario would be to have Crusaders (North Wales) and Raiders (West Wales) and another in the South fully pro in the championship/ Super League. Sadly so many mismanaged projects gone by over how ever many years on clubs in Wales.

I for one, hope this proves really fruitful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/57414278

Hull FC have been taking kids on from Wales.  I think the last one was last year from Torfaen (Jermaine Chatham) and there were 2 brothers (Batham I think) a couple of years ago.

Archived