Rovers v Bradford

Andrew Vause

Hoping to get at least 2 people reading this and at least one reply but the idiom is your favourite recollections of Rovers v Bradford. 

My earliest memory was the 73 final which still must rank as one of the most comprehensive CC final victories. 

Other recollections or me. 

Mick Morgan as a prop getting a hattrick of tries in 1981, and Keith Mumby landing a kick where the ball got impaled on the railings at the POR end. 

Steve Quinn played in an unusual position in this game either stand off or fullback. Jimmy Thompson was sent off for nutting Paul Coventry. 

81/82 usual struggle for survival, narrow defeat at Odsal, Francis Jarvis scoring for Rovers, but pulling his hamstring and hopping the last 10 yards. 

1983 The semi final. Hanley's try and Terry's winner in the corner. Alex Murphy giving the entire Rovers backline different forenames in John Gilbert's try. 'Alan Hudson, Nigel Banks' etc. 

1984 Rovers needing to beat both Bradford and Fulham to stay up, just 12 short months after the eutopia of Wembley, Rovers losing to Bradford deep in our own half in the last play. Alan Banks made the break and fed Dave Barrends who against his former club ran 40 yards to secure a last ditch victory. 

1985 last game of the season Rovers unusually safe in mid table, with our new stand off Andy Macintosh outclassing 50 try Ellery Hanley for the afternoon. 

1989 ish. Jeff Grayshon playing against his lad Paul. 

93 or 94 Newy playing against us for the first time and getting some right stick from the Bullock shed, Martin Pearson doing his knee. 

A challenge cup game in the 00s where Rovers took the lead but Bradford, the super league's blue eyed boys came back with 70 or 80.

The first team to play on the extended pitch ca. 2014 

And finally Dane running them ragged in one of his first Rovers games. 

Your memories please. 

They served both 

1. Nathan Graham 

2. Dave Barrends 

3. Neil Summers

4. Paul Newlove 

5. Keith Whiteman

6. Dane Chisholm 

7. Deryck Fox

8. Jamie Peacock 

9. Keith Bridges 

10. Jimmy Thompson 

11. David Hobbs

12. Jeff Grayshon

13. Kyle Briggs

Many others no doubt Trevor Clark, Matt James etc 

41 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Hoping to get at least 2 people reading this and at least one reply but the idiom is your favourite recollections of Rovers v Bradford. 

My earliest memory was the 73 final which still must rank as one of the most comprehensive CC final victories. 

Other recollections or me. 

Mick Morgan as a prop getting a hattrick of tries in 1981, and Keith Mumby landing a kick where the ball got impaled on the railings at the POR end. 

Steve Quinn played in an unusual position in this game either stand off or fullback. Jimmy Thompson was sent off for nutting Paul Coventry. 

81/82 usual struggle for survival, narrow defeat at Odsal, Francis Jarvis scoring for Rovers, but pulling his hamstring and hopping the last 10 yards. 

1983 The semi final. Hanley's try and Terry's winner in the corner. Alex Murphy giving the entire Rovers backline different forenames in John Gilbert's try. 'Alan Hudson, Nigel Banks' etc. 

1984 Rovers needing to beat both Bradford and Fulham to stay up, just 12 short months after the eutopia of Wembley, Rovers losing to Bradford deep in our own half in the last play. Alan Banks made the break and fed Dave Barrends who against his former club ran 40 yards to secure a last ditch victory. 

1985 last game of the season Rovers unusually safe in mid table, with our new stand off Andy Macintosh outclassing 50 try Ellery Hanley for the afternoon. 

1989 ish. Jeff Grayshon playing against his lad Paul. 

93 or 94 Newy playing against us for the first time and getting some right stick from the Bullock shed, Martin Pearson doing his knee. 

A challenge cup game in the 00s where Rovers took the lead but Bradford, the super league's blue eyed boys came back with 70 or 80.

The first team to play on the extended pitch ca. 2014 

And finally Dane running them ragged in one of his first Rovers games. 

You're memories please. 

The match in which Mick Morgan scored a hatrick was in November 1980 and against Dewsbury. And, it was away so the Keith Mumby reference is a different match, possibly 5/4/81 when Mumby kicked 5 goals at POR. Steve Quinn played at stand-off in both those games. That season Steve Quinn played 12 games at stand-off and 2 at fullback.

41 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

They served both 

1. Nathan Graham 

2. Dave Barrends 

3. Neil Summers

4. Paul Newlove 

5. Keith Whiteman

6. Dane Chisholm 

7. Deryck Fox

8. Jamie Peacock 

9. Keith Bridges 

10. Jimmy Thompson 

11. David Hobbs

12. Jeff Grayshon

13. Kyle Briggs

I have 86 players who have played for both clubs:

Joe Arundel Vic Darlison Bill Hutchinson Matt Ryan
Cory Aston Jack Dennis Matt James Jarrod Sammut
Bill Atherton Anthony England Francis Jarvis Bill Sherwood
Jordan Baldwinson Steve Evans Craig Kopczak Harry Siejka
David Barends Connor Farrell Jordan Lilley Ian Slater
Sam Barlow Dale Fennell James Mendeika Tommy Smales
Eric Batten Dale Ferguson Richard Moore Cameron Smith
Chris Birchall Brett Ferres Dennis Morgan Bob Spurr
Danny Bridge George Flanagan Anthony Mullally Gareth Stanley
Keith Bridges Colin Forsyth Paul Newlove Charlie Stone
Kyle Briggs Jamie Foster Mikolaj Oledzki Neil Summers
Sam Brooks Deryck Fox Jamie Peacock Liam Sutcliffe
Matt Calland Nathan Graham Roy Powell Paul Sykes
Keal Carlile Jeff Grayshon Karl Pratt A Tasker
Dane Chisholm James{2} Green Terry Ramshaw Colin Taylor
Mitchell Clark Carl Hall Gareth Raynor Jimmy Thompson
Trevor Clark Gareth Handford Stuart Reardon Simon Tuffs
Geoff Clarkson Paul Harkin Craig Richards Etuate Uaisele
Terry Clawson Iestyn Harris Colton Roche Chris Ulugia
Jason Crookes Johnny Heritage Neil Roebuck Kris Welham
John Crossley Jy Hitchcox Jim Rudd Matty Wildie
Steve Crossley David Hobbs    

43 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

They served both 

1. Nathan Graham 

2. Dave Barrends 

3. Neil Summers

4. Paul Newlove 

5. Keith Whiteman

6. Dane Chisholm 

7. Deryck Fox

8. Jamie Peacock 

9. Keith Bridges 

10. Jimmy Thompson 

11. David Hobbs

12. Jeff Grayshon

13. Kyle Briggs

Roy Powell 

Keith Bell being sent off at Odsal and having to run the gauntlet of home supporters climbing the steps on the terraces when the changing rooms were in the house right at the top of the car park!

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

I remember setting off for Odsal on a crisp sunny winter day and the closer to there we got the weather started turning. It then started snowing and my feet were getting more and more cold I have been to matches in bad weather but this place on a bad day it seems like  the end of the earth . I cannot remember who were playing, I just kept willing the time to pass.

9 hours ago, fevnut said:

The match in which Mick Morgan scored a hatrick was in November 1980 and against Dewsbury. And, it was away so the Keith Mumby reference is a different match, possibly 5/4/81 when Mumby kicked 5 goals at POR. Steve Quinn played at stand-off in both those games. That season Steve Quinn played 12 games at stand-off and 2 at fullback.

More of a correction then rather than a recollection. 

8 hours ago, fevnut said:

I have 86 players who have played for both clubs:

Joe Arundel Vic Darlison Bill Hutchinson Matt Ryan
Cory Aston Jack Dennis Matt James Jarrod Sammut
Bill Atherton Anthony England Francis Jarvis Bill Sherwood
Jordan Baldwinson Steve Evans Craig Kopczak Harry Siejka
David Barends Connor Farrell Jordan Lilley Ian Slater
Sam Barlow Dale Fennell James Mendeika Tommy Smales
Eric Batten Dale Ferguson Richard Moore Cameron Smith
Chris Birchall Brett Ferres Dennis Morgan Bob Spurr
Danny Bridge George Flanagan Anthony Mullally Gareth Stanley
Keith Bridges Colin Forsyth Paul Newlove Charlie Stone
Kyle Briggs Jamie Foster Mikolaj Oledzki Neil Summers
Sam Brooks Deryck Fox Jamie Peacock Liam Sutcliffe
Matt Calland Nathan Graham Roy Powell Paul Sykes
Keal Carlile Jeff Grayshon Karl Pratt A Tasker
Dane Chisholm James{2} Green Terry Ramshaw Colin Taylor
Mitchell Clark Carl Hall Gareth Raynor Jimmy Thompson
Trevor Clark Gareth Handford Stuart Reardon Simon Tuffs
Geoff Clarkson Paul Harkin Craig Richards Etuate Uaisele
Terry Clawson Iestyn Harris Colton Roche Chris Ulugia
Jason Crookes Johnny Heritage Neil Roebuck Kris Welham
John Crossley Jy Hitchcox Jim Rudd Matty Wildie
Steve Crossley David Hobbs    

All those from memory, you're a genius. 

The 2016 home game which resulted in an epic 20-0 victory and sent us to the play-offs and Bradford into a financial nosedive which you could argue they're still recovering from. Bradford's starting 13 included some fellas named Welham, Chisholm and Ferguson, wonder where they are these days (not playing on Sunday is the answer!).

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The 2016 home game which resulted in an epic 20-0 victory and sent us to the play-offs and Bradford into a financial nosedive which you could argue they're still recovering from. Bradford's starting 13 included some fellas named Welham, Chisholm and Ferguson, wonder where they are these days (not playing on Sunday is the answer!).

Saved me typing that out, large Bradford following were very confident they'd win that day👍

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Great day

Also remember standing on the terraces at Odsal in the mid 1980s when Steadman, I think not long after he joined us, put on a masterclass and all the Northern fans stood around me were moaning because their marquee stand off signing John Woods was being totally outshone and they were wishing they had signed Steadman instead. Don't know why I remember that but it's like it happened yesterday.

Quick glance at the Fev Archive site suggests it must have been April 1986 when we won 8-4, Steadman scored a try and Keith Bell added two drop goals.

11 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

Yes indeed. Was it a night match? I'm sure the new floodlights were on.

Not sure it was 40 yards, but if that's what DB claims, I'm not arguing. 

It was a vital win.

Mick Atherton  prop Ginger hair played 12 games for Northern 81/82 season then signed for us 1983 season and played a few first team games.My half cousin i think my step mother was mick's mothers sister who lived on the same estate as me in one of the nicer areas of Wakefield between Pugney's country park and Newmillerdam.

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Saved me typing that out, large Bradford following were very confident they'd win that day👍

That game remains one of my favourite ever selection bloopers, when Bradford coach Rohan Smith elected to leave out Adam O'Brien, who has been a regular starter in SL ever since, preferring to play guys like Lewis Charnock and Stuart Haworth, with Danny Addy asked to play hooker.

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

That game remains one of my favourite ever selection bloopers, when Bradford coach Rohan Smith elected to leave out Adam O'Brien, who has been a regular starter in SL ever since, preferring to play guys like Lewis Charnock and Stuart haworth, with Danny Addy asked to play hooker.

Haha yeah. 👍 mamy very bitter Bradford fans departing POR that day. 

It was a great victory but it led to us getting hammered by Leeds at home in the playoffs didn't it? 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Haha yeah. 👍 mamy very bitter Bradford fans departing POR that day. 

It was a great victory but it led to us getting hammered by Leeds at home in the playoffs didn't it? 

Yes but it was at a time when there was a huge difference in central funding if you finished in the top four, and at the time I think we very much needed that extra money. Bradford went bust not long afterwards

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes indeed. Was it a night match? I'm sure the new floodlights were on.

Not sure it was 40 yards, but if that's what DB claims, I'm not arguing. 

It was a vital win.

No it was an afternoon match. We were more or less doomed. It was the last play on our 10 it was in the corner between the old main stand and POR end uphill. They were 9-7 up or something stupid like that. Fox fed Banks who shimmied past their stand off he fed Quinn who outstripped their defence (A lad called McGowan I think, he looked more like a Springwatch reporter than a Rugby player) and fed Barrends onthe Bullock shed side. He raced in and saved the day. 

I might have exaggerated the 40 yards, it's a long time ago, I was 17 and am now 54. 

The night games I recall that season were a defeat v Wakefield, the opening ceremony of lights, and a hammering off of Leigh that should have been on Scrumdown but wasn't shown in the end. Drummond ran Rovers ragged that day, and it was the first time I'd ever heard disgusting racism aimed at David Barrends from a Leigh player. The whole of the main stand was aghast. 

Wigan I also remember was a night game, Steve Hampson made an horrific mistake for one of our trys, and Shaun Edwards played at POR for the first time. I think Marshy and Banky got a try that night, again a long time ago. I remember being sat in the mainstand with Jon Sharp and another lad and a Wigan bloke just started effing and blinding at us. The other lad made the wiganer realise he'd made the wrong choice.

I remember also a game at Warrington on a Friday night towards the end of winter, that was on Scrumdown I think we lost narrowly 20-19 or of that order. 

There was a night game under the lights v Bradford in ca. Sept 85 iirc. Boring as hell game with a poor crowd and a scraped victory. 

And also a night game in April 87 which sealed our relegation. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

All those from memory, you're a genius. 

Oh no I'm not! I have a database of all Fev players and, where known, it includes other clubs that they have played for. So, it's just a matter of doing a query on the database!!

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Even if we had won that game writing was already on the wall for the club. Rohan Smith dropped Adam O'brien one of our most creative players that season. To this day majority of Bulls fans don't understand why. 

11 hours ago, roversspud said:

Keith Bell being sent off at Odsal and having to run the gauntlet of home supporters climbing the steps on the terraces when the changing rooms were in the house right at the top of the car park!

Good memory for an old man lol 😆 

6 hours ago, fevnut said:

Oh no I'm not! I have a database of all Fev players and, where known, it includes other clubs that they have played for. So, it's just a matter of doing a query on the database!!

Where the hell did Fev records page on Rovers website go? It was on a few years ago then disappeared, had top points scorer, top points in a season, same for tries, goals, appearances etc . 

Archived