Wales RL Academy - BBC Feature

Great news there, dont know the full extent to Salford's involvement but they should be trying to take at least one super league game a season into the valleys, similar to the aussie teams when they play outside their own stadiums 

26 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Great news there, dont know the full extent to Salford's involvement but they should be trying to take at least one super league game a season into the valleys, similar to the aussie teams when they play outside their own stadiums 

You think Salford would be a big draw in South Wales?

27 minutes ago, Route66 said:

They’d need the Millenium stadium for that. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’d need the Millenium stadium for that. 

I know Featherstone wouldn’t need much work to double as a film set for a 1980’s Valleys village, but I’m not sure what it would achieve in this scenario. 

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Would think they would get as many as they get for a normal league game,if you want to expand you have to try different things, I would have each super league team play one home game elsewhere 

7 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Would think they would get as many as they get for a normal league game,if you want to expand you have to try different things, I would have each super league team play one home game elsewhere 

I’m not so sure about that. If Salford can’t get their own fans to attend home fixtures not sure the people of South Wales will be in a mad rush to see them.

I do remember a wigan v St. Helens drawing a good crowd in either Swansea or Cardiff during the super league “on the road” campaign in the late 90’s I believe. 

26 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Agreed, I’d have a 14 team SL, 26 regular games plus magic but each team plays one home game elsewhere, they could do why they wanted as a strategy, they could team up with an Elite 1 side and play as a double header with them for example, could take games to Spain, Holland, Ireland, Serbia or wherever - you could have SL double headers in those countries also. 

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Whatever happened to all those welsh youngsters that signed for super league academies about 3-4 years ago?

I remember Hull fc signed a few including 2 props that were twins. Remember recently reading that they’d signed a young winger as well.

Let me detail it for you…

Both Badham twins (West Wales Raiders - one on loan from Hull FC)

Kyle Huish (Wigan academy)

Three back with Wales RL academy

The rest… back in the amateur game

3 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Let me detail it for you…

Both Badham twins (West Wales Raiders - one on loan from Hull FC)

Kyle Huish (Wigan academy)

Three back with Wales RL academy

The rest… back in the amateur game

That’s a poor return but better than nothing I guess.

one of the Badman twins looked unstoppable last year in the academy.

8 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

They do have something to work from

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15702955.newport-rfc-hero-dai-watkins-a-star-in-rugby-union-and-rugby-league-receives-special-honour/

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

You can’t expect all, or even half of people to join academies to turn pro, more like 10% I’d have thought? 

9 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Salford would probably get a similar attendance in Wales as they do in Salford 

9 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Whatever happened to all those welsh youngsters that signed for super league academies about 3-4 years ago?

I remember Hull fc signed a few including 2 props that were twins. Remember recently reading that they’d signed a young winger as well.

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

What percentage of academy players go on to play professionally? I don’t know but believe it’s a fairly small figure 

14 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Regan grace - back to back champion

Callum wellington signed for that Canadian team that didnt join league 1

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Salford would probably get a similar attendance in Wales as they do in Salford 

What percentage of academy players go on to play professionally? I don’t know but believe it’s a fairly small figure 

Depends on which academy, Saints and wigan is a higher percentage than say Cas which I read the other day was 0 in 5 years.

Practically every team in SL has ex saints players and ex academy products.. added to wigan i am confident that both clubs have produced players for every team competing in SL this season.

10 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Depends on which academy, Saints and wigan is a higher percentage than say Cas which I read the other day was 0 in 5 years.

Practically every team in SL has ex saints players and ex academy products.. added to wigan i am confident that both clubs have produced players for every team competing in SL this season.

Leeds produce more players than Saints. 

50 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Regan grace - back to back champion

Callum wellington signed for that Canadian team that didnt join league 1

That isn’t what he meant. He was on about the seventeen who signed at academies around 3/4 years ago.

Its also Calvin, he’s at Workington this year.

37 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

One guy, who played 40 years ago???

🙄

I thought he was a bit more successful than the more recent head coach at Salford, and the Welsh national side,Iestyn Harris.

Maybe not,then.😷😛😁

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived