Euros or RLWC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who are fans of just one or the other will want England to win their chosen sport and not care about the other. Those fans of both like me want double glory. The question is would an England euro win help or hinder the profile of the RL world cup or perhaps neither. Would a taste of glory for Southgate's boys galvanise the country to get behind Wane's lads, or if England crumbled in the Euros would the RL boys shine by comparison as heroes,  assuming we get to the final, or again maybe it doesn't matter either way. I notice Sky are showing non stop build up to the Euros even though they won't be showing any of it,  wonder if they'll do that in the autumn. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Which would you choose if you could only choose one though? 

RLWC and it's not even close.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Euros. By far. And even then, I’m not exactly  an England Football fan. A RLWC win would be papering over cracks, to say the least. 

Agreed. Also I'm old enough to remember GB winning in 1972, but just not old enough to remember '66 and all that. To see England actually win to silence the Germans,  Italians,  French, Spanish,  Portuguese et al would  be cool. The downside would be the media would still be going on about it this time next year. 

In order of preference, England winning the Rugby League World Cup 

then England winning the Rugby League World Cup 

in fact to paraphrase the turtle infinite regress "it's RLWC all the way down" 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

English football is already saturated with media coverage and awash with money, so while I’d like it to happen I don’t think a Euros win would change much, especially as this is by far the lowest key major football tournament that I can remember. An England WC win on the other hand could be great for the game in this country.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I know some of you are football fans and others not, but to those who are, would you rather England win this year’s Euros or the RLWC? 

I’d go RLWC. 

Good God the latter of course but I hate football so.... 

The real question would be if I prefer a RLWC England win or say one or two Broncos SL titles over the 4 year cycle..... I think I'd want Broncos to do it 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

English football is already saturated with media coverage and awash with money, so while I’d like it to happen I don’t think a Euros win would change much, especially as this is by far the lowest key major football tournament that I can remember. An England WC win on the other hand could be great for the game in this country.

A RLWC win would I hope boost participation and viewership/attendance signifacantly in RL - maybe 30%? (out of thin air!) Surely it would boost the chances of more test series against Aus/NZ..... maybe the TV deal too? 

In fact it makes so much sense for IRL and do RL in general that didn't it make sense they rig it so we win? Maybe hypnotise/bribe/temporarily poison the Aussies? 😁

I have absolutely no faith in those in governance in the sport to capitalise on a World Cup win. We couldn’t even make any ground after a World Cup Final appearance (which went largely unnoticed by the whole country) and have played five games in the four and a half years since. We’d almost certainly find a way to turn any new people away and mess up what is a metaphorical tap-in. Not that I think we deserve it (a RLWC win) in the first place given our governance and the lack of games and lack of interest we have in international rugby league. If anything, an early exit may well ignite and force the change we desperately need.

The Kumuls to win it, for me. I’d love them to win it but realistically, Australia are a safer bet and a fantastic side to watch, plus actually do have a plan for International Rugby League, so them please. 

RLWC

not interested in Euros  already sick of hearing about it, and Quicker England  get knocked out the better for me. 

much more looking forward to the Olympics hoping GB dominance on the Velodrome continues. 
plus on the Track the GB women Dinah asher smith 200m gold favourite, 100m medal contender, plus Gemma Reekie 800m Laura Muir 1500m  KJT heptathlon.

shame we have little to offer on the men.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Which would you choose if you could only choose one though? 

Football in England doesn’t need the English National football team to win euro20 to make football more popular while England winning the RLWC would hopefully make RL in England more popular so on this basis I choose RLWC

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I have absolutely no faith in those in governance in the sport to capitalise on a World Cup win. We couldn’t even make any ground after a World Cup Final appearance (which went largely unnoticed by the whole country) and have played five games in the four and a half years since. We’d almost certainly find a way to turn any new people away and mess up what is a metaphorical tap-in. Not that I think we deserve it (a RLWC win) in the first place given our governance and the lack of games and lack of interest we have in international rugby league. If anything, an early exit may well ignite and force the change we desperately need.

The Kumuls to win it, for me. I’d love them to win it but realistically, Australia are a safer bet and a fantastic side to watch, plus actually do have a plan for International Rugby League, so them please. 

Picking players that have represented other countries for state of origin isn’t international rugby league.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Picking players that have represented other countries for state of origin isn’t international rugby league.

The Oceania Cup, the development in the PNG Hunters, the development of the Kaiviti Silktails, actually, y’know, playing international games against actual countries and having a proper, long-term plan in place is the development of international rugby league. 

But yeah, we’ll play eight games in the three available (Covid allowing) years between our World Cup Final appearance and the first game of this World Cup, we’ve just about got a mid-season game and we’re refusing to participate in the growth of the game on this side of the equator by playing a team of players mashed together. Remember though, it’s Australia with the chip on their shoulder, not us. 

I sincerely hope England fail in this World Cup and there’s actual, quantifiable change moving forwards because we desperately need it. 

50 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

A RLWC win would I hope boost participation and viewership/attendance signifacantly in RL - maybe 30%? (out of thin air!) Surely it would boost the chances of more test series against Aus/NZ..... maybe the TV deal too? 

In fact it makes so much sense for IRL and do RL in general that didn't it make sense they rig it so we win? Maybe hypnotise/bribe/temporarily poison the Aussies? 😁

Yes a World Cup win would guarantee more test matches against the Kangaroos. 

Can't see it been scripted like WWE or something though, a script or any form of rigging could never be kept quiet and would sooner or later leak. 

Yes Club football is OK. But christ International football, boring or at least pretty unattractive football been played, massive humongous bandwagon. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I know some of you are football fans and others not, but to those who are, would you rather England win this year’s Euros or the RLWC? 

I’d go RLWC. 

RLWC. I never really watch Euros. It doesn't interest me much and i just generally follow the qualifiers. On the other hand World Cups in rugby league is much better to follow because you have much more exciting games.

Archived