Euros or RLWC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a massive football fan but I do like England to do well.

BUT!!!!

Beating the Aussies in the final would result in tears and emotion not seem since the kid was born, I’d be there in the stadium with my best mate and may make it home a few days later.

After a quick kip it’s a plane to Aus to stand on Bondi wearing a John McClain style advertising board with “‘Ave It You Convicts” proudly displayed.

One can dream. 

If England win the Rugby World Cup...

- The wider public will say "there are only 3 teams who can win it anyway".

- Some on here will say "Its because we have a few players playing in the NRL".

If England don't win the Rugby World Cup....

- The wider public will say "England can't even win a 3 horse race".

- Some on here will say "It's because we had too many SL players in the squad".

The answer is the RLWC by the way - England and modern football are awfull to watch.

I can understand why people would pick the football. It would be such a nationwide felt celebration. I do love the interest and how everyone is in s great mood after a good win. There was a real feel-good factor the last World Cup.

I'd still pick the RLWC because it means more to me personally

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

21 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

- Some on here will say "Its because we have a few players playing in the NRL".

If England don't win the Rugby World Cup....

- The wider public will say "England can't even win a 3 horse race".

- Some on here will say "It's because we had too many SL players in the squad".

The answer is the RLWC by the way - England and modern football are awfull to watch.

So to summarise, England winning the World Cup will be negative, England not winning the World Cup will be just as negative but you would prefer that to the even more negative alternative. 

That's a cheery outlook!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I don’t agree . People will be absolutely chuffed that we’ve won the World Cup. Any WC is celebrated as it’s not a common occurrence . It’ll be massive .And in probably the most open and competitive WC ever .

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t agree . People will be absolutely chuffed that we’ve won the World Cup. Any WC is celebrated as it’s not a common occurrence . It’ll be massive .And in probably the most open and competitive WC ever .

Completely agree. The public loves success for the national team and they won't question its merits in any way.

Some may criticise, but those are the people who would hate an English RLWC win and we know who they are already so sod 'em.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I remember social media after 2017 when there were loads of negative comments about RL when I was expecting positive comments.

The worst was the BBC HYS RL thread but luckily most true RL fans dont go on there anymore.

No one will be supporting England more than me though but I bet the NRL lovers on here will have something to say either way....

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

For example, how many people pay attention to how many other countries can afford to participate in the Olympic sports (such as rowing) that we traditionally do well in?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Oceania Cup, the development in the PNG Hunters, the development of the Kaiviti Silktails, actually, y’know, playing international games against actual countries and having a proper, long-term plan in place is the development of international rugby league. 

But yeah, we’ll play eight games in the three available (Covid allowing) years between our World Cup Final appearance and the first game of this World Cup, we’ve just about got a mid-season game and we’re refusing to participate in the growth of the game on this side of the equator by playing a team of players mashed together. Remember though, it’s Australia with the chip on their shoulder, not us. 

I sincerely hope England fail in this World Cup and there’s actual, quantifiable change moving forwards because we desperately need it. 

You're a glass have empty guy/gal ain't you HW? 😁

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You're a glass have empty guy/gal ain't you HW? 😁

Not in the slightest. If you can find anything England and The RFL do well at when it comes to International Rugby League, be it playing games consistently, advertising and marketing their games, developing the sport and producing and implementing a plan, I’d be interested to hear it because it would be a nice piece of fiction. 

I want the game to grow and the game to thrive. England seemingly don’t and while they behave in that way, I won’t back them. 

36 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not in the slightest. If you can find anything England and The RFL do well at when it comes to International Rugby League, be it playing games consistently, advertising and marketing their games, developing the sport and producing and implementing a plan, I’d be interested to hear it because it would be a nice piece of fiction. 

I want the game to grow and the game to thrive. England seemingly don’t and while they behave in that way, I won’t back them. 

And to think, the RFL were going to appoint you the England cheer leader. 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Completely agree. The public loves success for the national team and they won't question its merits in any way.

Some may criticise, but those are the people who would hate an English RLWC win and we know who they are already so sod 'em.

I don’t even think there’s many of them, most Union fans I know would still want England to win the rlwc. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Well imagine how great it would be if they won despite all that 

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think most I know either wouldn't care or would be pleased for England to win. The odd **** would love them to be awful though 

You say ****, but I want England Union side to lose every game, I just have to pretend I don’t to mates who I’ve managed to get watching RL. 

RLWC - not even close

I'll watch a few of the Euro's but not follow it

I hope the England Women do well, and if the Wheelchair RL team do win I hope thats its all over the tv and media, as well as general good coverage of the 3 competitions. I think the BBC will do a decent job of it

Archived