Nigel Wood OBE (sic)

I've no real feel for whether he should get an award or not but when so much of the venom aimed at him relates to stuff he didn't do or had no control over or references his weight I'm kinda not minded to side with the haters.

3 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Whoever decided he was worthy must be a Bradford fan, maybe it was Boris Johnson I’ve heard he’s a fan of bull manure…

Well not all Bradford fans would be so quick to give him an award.

Interestingly the official club press release today says Nigel has been "at the forefront" of the clubs actions to try and come back to Bradford since 2019, despite insisting previously he was very hands off until a couple of months ago. 

Anyway, I'm sure it's all above board and fine and that's all I'll say about that. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

2 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

What are the reasons behind his OBE? 2013 World Cup was a success and magic has been brilliant but other than that I’m struggling

Long term contribution to the sport , not always positive , but nobody's perfect 

16 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

What are the reasons behind his OBE? 2013 World Cup was a success and magic has been brilliant but other than that I’m struggling

Delivered the current TV deal which, in retrospect (and at the time tbh) turned out to be a stroke of genius.

Not sure doing your job really well qualifies for an OBE. However Wood has been a leading light in preserving the game's history and, from the top, in establishing all sorts of stuff like Rugby League Cares and making the sport one of the absolute leaders in dealing with mental health.

42 minutes ago, M j M said:

Delivered the current TV deal which, in retrospect (and at the time tbh) turned out to be a stroke of genius.

Not sure doing your job really well qualifies for an OBE. However Wood has been a leading light in preserving the game's history and, from the top, in establishing all sorts of stuff like Rugby League Cares and making the sport one of the absolute leaders in dealing with mental health.

Evening Nigel.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Evening Nigel.

Sorry but it's very tiring when all sorts of people have agendas for all sorts of reasons and can't see when people like Wood actually do some good - even if they may have been poor at other times.

7 hours ago, M j M said:

I've no real feel for whether he should get an award or not but when so much of the venom aimed at him relates to stuff he didn't do or had no control over or references his weight I'm kinda not minded to side with the haters.

I dislike the guy for being paid £300k a year plus a £500k payout to leave the IRL (RLIF) when you could run a dozen or more counties on that money.

He hired the first RLIF CEO basically as a placeholder for himself to take the money.

new rise.jpg

6 hours ago, M j M said:

Sorry but it's very tiring when all sorts of people have agendas for all sorts of reasons and can't see when people like Wood actually do some good - even if they may have been poor at other times.

I agree with the physical digs but he hasn't really got the best of records.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

I agree with the physical digs but he hasn't really got the best of records.

I think it's mixed rather than poor. 

The man at the top is a lightening rod and that comes with the territory but Wood just gets continual abuse which is out of kilter with the facts in my view.

Like above, where someone said they disliked him because he got paid to do his job. Really?

14 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Far more deserving is the award to Stephen Ball, but 3 at one sitting is nosebleed time for the sport (but not for Nige)

There's six with some kind of RL connection. Rimla Akhtar is a RFL non-exec director, Martin Blondel is the GM of the Steve Prescott Foundation and former Cas Winger Simon Middleton got a gong for coaching the England Women's RU team.

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

I dislike the guy for being paid £300k a year plus a £500k payout to leave the IRL (RLIF) when you could run a dozen or more counties on that money.

He hired the first RLIF CEO basically as a placeholder for himself to take the money.

He’s not going to turn a big salary or pay off down though, I wouldn’t and nor would most people? 

14 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

He was the International board chairman wasn't he?  Fairly standard. 

I imagine Ralph will get one in due course when he retires. 

I should add that I just went to look on Wikipedia to check his official title and they listed him as Ralph 'Rimming'.  

I kid you not.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

There's six with some kind of RL connection. Rimla Akhtar is a RFL non-exec director, Martin Blondel is the GM of the Steve Prescott Foundation and former Cas Winger Simon Middleton got a gong for coaching the England Women's RU team.

When I glanced at the story last night it only listed three, Blondel is a genuine RL article, Akhtar is by association and is probably rewarded for other matters whilst Middleton chose to move to the dark side so therefore can't be included to my mind.

Archived