Uncertainty remains over the Red Devils stadium future

23 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I thought the debt to Salford Council for the AJ Bell was in the region of £25M (with the rest owed to Peel) so i'm sure if the stadium was sold the council could use some of that towards the cost any any new joint stadium for Salford, Swinton & Salford FC.

To put it into context, Saints new stadium cost in the region of £30M and that included the cost of also buying the land, and that was for a bespoke design. Salford could build one for half of that (al la Warrington with their Ikea flat pack 4 boxes design).

There are still plenty of parcels of undeveloped land across the city. The RHS managed to purchase 156 Acres for their new Bridgewater site and a new stadium probably only needs 5% of that amount.

EDIT - Actually thinking about it not far from Salford FC's stadium is the old Salford Sports Village with acres of derelict land next door - possibly an ideal location for a joint community stadium still within the city boundary ?

I suspect the derelict land you see there is actually part of the Irwell's flood basin - an area that is deliberately flooded in order to protect residential properties in the area when the river gets too high - so it wouldn't be possible to build there. You've seen the bizarre conspiracy theory responses of a few Wakefield fans on here to Salford postponing their next two matches because of Covid - it's a kind of WAnon thing - so imagine how they'd react if a match had to be postponed because the stadium had been deliberately flooded. It could send them over the edge, and they'd go storming RFL headquarters dressed as shamen or something.

• Haha 1

From the thread you can more or less say that Sale and Salford FC are buying the ground and that Salford are looking into buying Moor Lane if it could be reconfigured to SL standards.

So what was rumoured really.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

8 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

From the thread you can more or less say that Sale and Salford FC are buying the ground and that Salford are looking into buying Moor Lane if it could be reconfigured to SL standards.

So what was rumoured really.

Unless Salford City just sell it for housing because Salford Red Devils can’t raise the money. 

20 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Unless Salford City just sell it for housing because Salford Red Devils can’t raise the money. 

Possible but where would that leave Salford and their fans?

It would mean that mean Gary Neville was just posturing when going on his crusade against money spoiling sport.

Does he look like a hypocrite who was just defending the lot of his paymasters? Oh hang on

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

My word. Who budgeted on 8,000+ average crowds?!

It's not uncommon for clubs to budget for wildly increased attendances at new grounds. Coventry City sold a perfectly fine stadium in the centre of the city to move to a rented stadium outside the city where they needed 22,000 average just to break even. And everything went wrong from there on out.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

10 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

My word. Who budgeted on 8,000+ average crowds?!

David Tarry,the then CEO.

Salford had attracted 10k + for a game against Catalans, the last game played at The Willows.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

And not one word about our friends in sport!

If it's so this doesn't disappear to CCZ no need to worry there'll be all the threads about Moor Lane and SL standards to get your teeth into.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

David Tarry,the then CEO.

Salford had attracted 10k + for a game against Catalans, the last game played at The Willows.

They didn’t have an 8k crowd for the rest of the year in their final year at The Willows, they had three 5k+ attendances (a 7,496 vs Warrington) and six crowds of less than 4,000 that year from twelve home games. 

It looks a very bizarre figure to pluck from the sky. I’m not sure where they expected an increase of 2,500 to come from and consistently. 

Edited by Hela Wigmen

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

And not one word about our friends in sport!

If it's so this doesn't disappear to CCZ no need to worry there'll be all the threads about Moor Lane and SL standards to get your teeth into.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

It only mentions two, no? National Speedway Stadium and Manchester Regional Arena. What is the third?

MRA would be bad for RL.  If you are going to let a team play in the middle of Manchester it cant be called Salford. 

You would have just wasted the biggest opportunity to have a new team to commercially expand the game, provide a new rivalry for Salford and RL to sell whilst Salford would be miles away from home. 

A massive no from me. 

• Like 2