Scottish Domestic RL

36 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

You decide, please, which side of the fence you stand on? Are you for us, or agin us?

He's on here to stick the boot in at any and every opportunity. A miserable malevolent troll who is unfathomably allowed to spew his hatred of league on a daily basis. Why he is tolerated to do down the game on a pro-RL forum is a mystery to everyone except the site administrators.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

👍🏽

I guess to the non-Scottish audience on here, these sports seem really obscure, but obviously in Scotland both have a considerably higher profile than Rugby League.

As I said, I agree with you that the game should get SportScotland funding, but if the clubs want to access that they need to get creative around youth initiatives, diversity programmes etc.

The national team would probably have got some funding ahead of the planned World Cup, as normally high performance programmes are supported at least in some form.

48 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

@fighting irish

What on earth are you talking about???

These are facts. It is a leisure pursuit for amateur adult male players. 

There is no high performance angle.... And no very little junior development. Additionally, Women's RL does not exist in the country. 

In the 1 domestic competition they have, there are teams who do not fulfil fixtures. 

Any sport which fits that description is unlikely (in my experience) to secure much, SportScotland funding.

I wish some people would do some research before they blindly criticise.

Scotland RL already receives Sport Scotland funding and have done for the past few years, albeit minimal.

Also, Scotland RL does have a strategy, and that is by becoming a diverse, multi-disciplinary organisation with focus on mens, womens, wheelchair, students, juniors (u19, u16), PDRL, LDRL with also a schools programme. I think they're also trying to get a tag league started or maybe X League. All these initiatives take time to embed and grow, and covid has stalled some but there are plenty of initiatives even if it doesn't suit your agenda

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Scotland RL already receives Sport Scotland funding and have done for the past few years, albeit minimal.

Also, Scotland RL does have a strategy, and that is by becoming a diverse, multi-disciplinary organisation with focus on mens, womens, wheelchair, students, juniors (u19, u16), PDRL, LDRL with also a schools programme. I think they're also trying to get a tag league started or maybe X League. All these initiatives take time to embed and grow, and covid has stalled some but there are plenty of initiatives even if it doesn't suit your agenda

This is fantastic news. Is it published anywhere, would be very interested to read the plan. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I am fully aware it gets SportScotland funding, and mentioned as much in my post.

I am also fully aware that it is minimal. 

There is no agenda. Scotland RL has been going since the 1990s. There has been a men's competition. There has been some wheelchair activity. There has been (in the past) some representative student activity.

In 2021 there is not 1 Rugby League club in Scotland that has a women's team, or junior Rugby League. No university has a Rugby League club. 

Scotland RL can be "committed to becoming" whatever they like. At the moment, Rugby League being played in Scotland amounts to adult male players, playing at a participation level, as a leisure activity. 

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

To be fair, this is a discussion forum and much of what is said is true. People should respond with the facts that rebuke any dodgy claims. 

I've seen plenty of positive developments, junior work in schools, wheelchair activity, and I think they advertised for women's RL but I'm not sure if that is delayed through covid. But it doesn't change the fact that RL is an absolutely tiny thing in Scotland. I wish it wasn't, but it is, and that's fine, it's where we are. 

But I'm not sure why anything said on this thread has become contentious. 

14 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I am fully aware it gets SportScotland funding, and mentioned as much in my post.

I am also fully aware that it is minimal. 

There is no agenda. Scotland RL has been going since the 1990s. There has been a men's competition. There has been some wheelchair activity. There has been (in the past) some representative student activity.

In 2021 there is not 1 Rugby League club in Scotland that has a women's team, or junior Rugby League. No university has a Rugby League club. 

Scotland RL can be "committed to becoming" whatever they like. At the moment, Rugby League being played in Scotland amounts to adult male players, playing at a participation level, as a leisure activity. 

Not in your previous post you didn't, it was me who advised that was the case in this thread.

You choose whatever narrative you wish, with or without taking into account the effects of covid, everyone knows which one you'll choose.

I'm merely correcting some of the misinformation that you've posted

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, this is a discussion forum and much of what is said is true. People should respond with the facts that rebuke any dodgy claims. 

I've seen plenty of positive developments, junior work in schools, wheelchair activity, and I think they advertised for women's RL but I'm not sure if that is delayed through covid. But it doesn't change the fact that RL is an absolutely tiny thing in Scotland. I wish it wasn't, but it is, and that's fine, it's where we are. 

But I'm not sure why anything said on this thread has become contentious. 

Noone is denying RL is tiny in Scotland.

If people prefer to be negative about the sport, then that's their wish, but I prefer not engage with those

Great article and confirms their intention to run 2 teams, one in the Scottish League and another in NERL

In relation to TV, YouTube could be looked into,  Fosroc super 6 utilise this last year getting 2k+ for live games and much more for highlights, not that I’m suggesting RL will get this but the idea is there. Also there are plenty of colleges/Universities with media programs which could be linked into to provide coverage. And give a platform to grow

But all in all a great article and positive words about the future of RL

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2021 at 03:08, The Frying Scotsman said:

Interesting to hear him say they hosted Aspatria. I didn't know they had a Rugby League club there. Are they any good?

Aspatria Hornets. Been going a while - since 1891, according to their Twitter account - in their local league. Fair to say they're not as strong as the amateur rugby league clubs in west Cumbria, although they do have a range of junior teams. Cockermouth, another Cumbria town more readily associated with rugby union (albeit at a much lower level than Aspatria RU have reached), also has an amateur rugby league club.

Archived