Ben Flower

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

His contract isn’t valid to play in Super League. He’s turning up to work every day and is available to play Championship games as is stated in his contract. Flower has done nothing wrong, if Leigh want him to play in Super League they need to give him a Super League contract.

You clearly know nothing about the RFL contract system. Every player in SL has to have the signed the proscribed full time SL contract, the template for which is issued by the RFL. That contract is then registered with the RFL. If they don’t sign it then their registration is refused and the club can release them without penalty. It is impossible for any player at a SL club to have a contract to play Championship RL, the system doesn’t allow it. So, quite frankly, you are talking absolute rubbish.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

34 minutes ago, Derwent said:

You clearly know nothing about the RFL contract system. Every player in SL has to have the signed the proscribed full time SL contract, the template for which is issued by the RFL. That contract is then registered with the RFL. If they don’t sign it then their registration is refused and the club can release them without penalty. It is impossible for any player at a SL club to have a contract to play Championship RL, the system doesn’t allow it. So, quite frankly, you are talking absolute rubbish.

But if he signed for Leigh when they were a Championship club playing in the Championship he won’t have a Super League contract, this is exactly the point I was making 

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

But if he signed for Leigh when they were a Championship club playing in the Championship he won’t have a Super League contract, this is exactly the point I was making 

He signed for Leigh on the 1st of December, with Leigh given the nod of super league on the 14th of December.

Are we suggesting that he was unaware that IF Leigh's super league bid was successful, he would ergo become a super league player rather than a championship player?

2 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

He signed for Leigh on the 1st of December, with Leigh given the nod of super league on the 14th of December.

Are we suggesting that he was unaware that IF Leigh's super league bid was successful, he would ergo become a super league player rather than a championship player?

Leigh produced the contract not Ben Flower

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That doesn’t matter one jot. To be registered as a SL player with Leigh on their salary cap he had to have signed a subsequent mandatory SL contract. Otherwise Leigh could have declared his contract null and void with the RFL’s blessing.

It’s not difficult to understand, you can’t be officially registered with a SL club without signing a SL contract. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

I thought most players wanted to play at the highest level possible ? 

Well, he did sign for Leigh.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you reckon as a professional paid full time player, he wouldn't give his all in every game he plays in, I go to watch the community game Irish and those lads who pay to play not the reverse give it their all for the club, their teammates and most importantly for themselves.

What a very strange suggestion you make, makes me wonder what the mentality of the team's you have been involved with have/had.

Come off it 'Arry.

If you played professionally, you know that players play for money.

A player's career is short and his responsibility (to himself and his family) is to make as much money out of plying his trade as he possibly can.

I don't know, but I'd bet (you can confirm or deny it) that you had your own business and during your own working life, you employed other men?

The way this story is told, typically, depends on which side of the fence you sit on?

In the old days, the press would often report ''the company offered 2% but the union members absolutely refused to work for less than 4%''.

Hardly ever would you see ''the union offered to work for 4% but the company demanded they work for 2%''.

The press always presented the case, from the point of view of the employers.

In that kind of stand-off the men with the money and the power and their confederates in the press hold the men asking for more in contempt 'Arry and are unwilling to share the spoils. It's clear from your comments that you hold Ben Flower (and other players) in contempt for wanting a share.

You think, you are some kind of sophist 'Arry, laughing at other posters here, but you're not that clever, because your slip is showing. . 

Don't try to distract our audience here with rubbish about the kind of teams I played for, that's nothing but a big red herring.

Tell me 'Arry, when you were considering how much to charge for your services, did you ask for as much as you could get, or did you ask for minimum wage?

Why did you become an entrepreneur? To maximise your income?

So it was ok for you, but Ben Flower is an odious character for wanting the same thing? 

I just wanted to add, regarding Ben Flower.

Can I tell you what I call a person, who asks for what he thinks he's worth?

A man.

What 'Arry wants, isn't a man, it's a servant, or a slave, someone who doff's his cap, when the Masser' walks by. Who knows his place and doesn't get uppity around wage negotiation time.

Someone with no options, so he can be manipulated and made to work for whatever 'Arry deigns to give him. A contractor in the gig economy. 

Never mind what the ''market'' says he's worth, or how profitable the business is, or what others in the same competition are earning. 

He wants amateurs playing for nothing, in the pro' league, so he can maximise his share of the take. 

A throw back to the good old RaRa amateur days, when players were ostracised (banned for life) for taking the shilling.

13 hours ago, FearNothing said:

It's such a shame he's come out over the last several years of being a bit of a k-nob - in his early days at Cru (and even Wigan until they infected him) he had so much potential...I mean, who in their right mind would turn down playing for your country 'coz either your team mates and/or the opposition were inferior?? (in his opinion)

Well.... Maybe someone who needs to stay fit to maximise his earnings, and whose national team plays on a fairly crappy little rugby union ground, and don't pay their players?

13 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A Super League contract will pay significantly more than a Championship contract. If the rumours are true my guess would be he signed a contract with Leigh to play in the Championship, Leigh we’re then gifted a Super League place despite not earning it on the field. Leigh are then asking Flower to play in Super League on his Championship contract. Good on Ben Flower for standing his ground and holding out to be paid properly to play in Super League. If Leigh have given players contracts which state they are to play in the Championship they are not valid for this year.

No - they had to sign new SL contracts with big SL words in them. If he signed one then he is bound if not then he shouldnt have played the games he did ( for games substitute 'few minutes' ), we did lose players who knew SL was a bridge too far and hope this is just a silly rumour.

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I just wanted to add, regarding Ben Flower.

Can I tell you what I call a person, who asks for what he thinks he's worth?

A man.

What 'Arry wants, isn't a man, it's a servant, or a slave, someone who doff's his cap, when the Masser' walks by. Who knows his place and doesn't get uppity around wage negotiation time.

Someone with no options, so he can be manipulated and made to work for whatever 'Arry deigns to give him. A contractor in the gig economy. 

Never mind what the ''market'' says he's worth, or how profitable the business is, or what others in the same competition are earning. 

He wants amateurs playing for nothing, in the pro' league, so he can maximise his share of the take. 

A throw back to the good old RaRa amateur days, when players were ostracised (banned for life) for taking the shilling.

Most of us will have believed our value to be greater than reality - we generally change jobs as a result. The key will be did he sign a SL contract or not, and if not can he actually play in SL?

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Most of us will have believed our value to be greater than reality - we generally change jobs as a result. The key will be did he sign a SL contract or not, and if not can he actually play in SL?

Ah the art of negotiation!

I'd suggest, you get your bloke, to talk to him, until they agree.

17 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

His contract isn’t valid to play in Super League. He’s turning up to work every day and is available to play Championship games as is stated in his contract. Flower has done nothing wrong, if Leigh want him to play in Super League they need to give him a Super League contract.

How do you know what's stated in his contract - are you his solicitor, his manager or a director at Leigh ??

If your not any of the above (which i suspect you aren't) then you've just made that up

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Hard to know what to believe with rumours. When Flower left Wigan it seemed very likely that he wanted to play in the Championship because he was struggling in Super League. He'd had quite a few injury problems including a back/neck injury that caused real trouble and knee and hamstring issues and spent a lot of time at Wigan playing while injured.

If he signed for a Championship club to continue his career in a less demanding league I can understand why he'd be unhappy now given he'd be in a similar position to his last couple of years at Wigan.

Whatever you might think of Ben Flower as a person, as far as I'm aware he has never before been in a conflict with a club over contractual issues.

On the other hand, didn't Leigh end up going to tribunal a few years ago because they tried to force players to accept severance packages or reduced contracts, after they failed to achieve promotion?

That seems like a far more relevant example of past conduct of one of the parties to this dispute, if it is indeed true.

2 hours ago, damp squib said:

Whatever you might think of Ben Flower as a person, as far as I'm aware he has never before been in a conflict with a club over contractual issues.

On the other hand, didn't Leigh end up going to tribunal a few years ago because they tried to force players to accept severance packages or reduced contracts, after they failed to achieve promotion?

That seems like a far more relevant example of past conduct of one of the parties to this dispute, if it is indeed true.

No they didn’t go to tribunal

What a pointless thread this is. When I took our Dogs out for a walk earlier I bumped into Fred Tipping, who has informed me that my beloved football team Hartlepool United are hoping to appoint Sir Alex Ferguson as a 'director of football' next season, but only if we win the play-off final on Sunday.

Archived