Ben Flower

Unless he’s been signed on a part-time deal  (with an eye on his post career) and has had it upgraded once Leigh’s ‘promotion’ was sealed, I can’t see what he’s on about tbh. 

He really does come across as an odious fella with a heightened sense of his own importance. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Unless he’s been signed on a part-time deal  (with an eye on his post career) and has had it upgraded once Leigh’s ‘promotion’ was sealed, I can’t see what he’s on about tbh. 

He really does come across as an odious fella with a heightened sense of his own importance. 

Leigh were full time before being given the SL slot , 

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

There's a rumour going round here that the Pope has signed for Catalans. Another one that the Queen was spotted in the St Ives branch of Ann Summers. 

If true, etc etc... 

I haven't heard about those John!, but In a small place like Leigh the information I have passed on does seem to have some substance to it.

50 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would wager he is on more money than some who have represented Leeds this season.

That’s completely irrelevant, all Leeds players will have Super League contracts.

47 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It doesn’t matter if it’s full time or part time. If his contract is to play Championship Rugby League it’s not valid for Leigh’s season in Super League. Derek needs to stop being tight and pay Flower a Super League wage for a Super League contract to play Super League games.

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s completely irrelevant, all Leeds players will have Super League contracts.

It doesn’t matter if it’s full time or part time. If his contract is to play Championship Rugby League it’s not valid for Leigh’s season in Super League. Derek needs to stop being tight and pay Flower a Super League wage for a Super League contract to play Super League games.

Well, that’s not true at all. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I haven't heard about those John!, but In a small place like Leigh the information I have passed on does seem to have some substance to it.

It may ( or may not) be that the originator of the rumour does not have Flower's best interests at heart.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's all over the works canteen!  😄

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He won't have a contract to play in the Championship, he will have a contract to play professional Rugby League.

I guess his argument will be that he signed for a certain value and now that Leigh are in a different division with more income this should be increased due to the demands of the league and the available funds.

The contract will be valid though.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A Super League contract will pay significantly more than a Championship contract. If the rumours are true my guess would be he signed a contract with Leigh to play in the Championship, Leigh we’re then gifted a Super League place despite not earning it on the field. Leigh are then asking Flower to play in Super League on his Championship contract. Good on Ben Flower for standing his ground and holding out to be paid properly to play in Super League. If Leigh have given players contracts which state they are to play in the Championship they are not valid for this year.

W.T.F?????????🙉

This really is a storm in a teacup.

He probably signed for Leigh Harry, because at the time it was the best offer on the table.

Now his employers want him to face much stiffer competition, week in week out (and he knows they've had a sudden financial windfall from the Super League) which means, physically and mentally more demanding work  (and bigger audiences at LSV).

He wants a cut of the ''new pie'' commensurate with the additional effort he's expected to put in and in light of the extra income coming into the club.

What's wrong with that? Wouldn't you want more money for more work?

That doesn't make him an odious character. It sounds to me, like he's acting on his own behalf, as his own agent.

Any decent employer would get around the table with him and thrash out a new deal or like Canberra and George Williams, send him home on severance pay.

Why isn't Derek talking to him?

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

He won't have a contract to play in the Championship, he will have a contract to play professional Rugby League.

I guess his argument will be that he signed for a certain value and now that Leigh are in a different division with more income this should be increased due to the demands of the league and the available funds.

The contract will be valid though.

If that was true he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on and Leigh wouldn’t be paying his wages 

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If that was true he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on and Leigh wouldn’t be paying his wages 

I suspect he doesn't have a legaleg to stand on. But most employee disputes have a period of conciliation before they go to legal.

And this is sport where the balance tends to be a little more to 'player power'.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Well if the contract isn’t valid then the club shouldn’t have to pay his wages

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Pretty sure the whole squad are on full time contracts. Some were initially signed up to part time deals but were either upped to full time or released to play part time elsewhere 

47 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Well if the contract isn’t valid then the club shouldn’t have to pay his wages

His contract isn’t valid to play in Super League. He’s turning up to work every day and is available to play Championship games as is stated in his contract. Flower has done nothing wrong, if Leigh want him to play in Super League they need to give him a Super League contract.

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

What's wrong with that? Wouldn't you want more money for more work?

So you reckon as a professional paid full time player, he wouldn't give his all in every game he plays in, I go to watch the community game Irish and those lads who pay to play not the reverse give it their all for the club, their teammates and most importantly for themselves.

What a very strange suggestion you make, makes me wonder what the mentality of the team's you have been involved with have/had.

Archived