Roll on York.

RogerT

15 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Outstanding win. I thought the man in the middle had stolen that away from us. As stated by others, they scored 2 tries off of blatant forward passes, then he has the audacity to chalk that one of Hall's off, that never looked near going forward!!!!

It's about time the RFL did something about the standard of refereeing. They wonder why people are falling out of love with the game. This weekend I've seen 3 games, all of which have been marred by awful officiating. 

Mikalauskas, Kendall and Grant should be fired for gross incompetence.

Without ref's there would be no game but....Grant! He literally gave bulls the game against Fax at Dewsbury. It's all there on video to be seen and although that game was the most obvious it's not the first time he's been the difference in our games. 🤬

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Without ref's there would be no game but....Grant! He literally gave bulls the game against Fax at Dewsbury. It's all there on video to be seen and although that game was the most obvious it's not the first time he's been the difference in our games. 🤬

hope he is the ref on sunday then 🙂

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Funny we haven't talked about the BJB sin-bin; could somebody post a screen-shot of the incident? If JC had nobody in front of him in their defence and I don't remember there being anyone, then we should have had 6 under the sticks as he would have been favourite to score. There was little chance that his chip over was so strong that it would have gone dead. The ref didn't even consult a linesman for an opinion. Wonder if JC made the point?

I think the ref did ask someone, as l seem to remember him mentioning a penalty try when considering the tackle. I might revisit the game to check. 

I thought we did everything with momentum until York turned it around but we got it back to win the game we defended well first half before we just looked tired without the ball shame scrums aren’t back in the game yet but we will keep improving and knocking off the games keeping the spine fit is the key! 

46 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I think the ref did ask someone, as l seem to remember him mentioning a penalty try when considering the tackle. I might revisit the game to check. 

I thought it should have been a penalty try. But don't know if its still in the rule book.

2 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

And yet no fans ever say that a referee handed their team the game.

Funny that.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

I thought it should have been a penalty try. But don't know if its still in the rule book.

Yes, it is, but the referee has to be convinced that the player would have DEFINITELY scored, not probably. They are very rarely given.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

There's a difference to an obstruction try and a penalty try; if, as I suggest in this case, a player is obstructed in his playing for the ball then it's an obstruction try awarded under the posts. If a player is in the act of scoring ie in possession of the ball and about to put it down, which JC wasn't, and is fouled ie hit round the head, violently attacked or kicked, then that is a penalty try, awarded where the ball hits ground with a conversion to follow then a penalty awarded under the posts following the first conversion attempt. For Jones-Bishop to be the nearest man needing him to take Jonny out to prevent him from regathering the ball suggests that he knew what the outcome would be if he didn't take the attacker out. I believe that the ref was wrong, not meaning to pile blame as I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as he's been made out, can only think of one other instance where he was wrong, 2 mistakes in 80 minutes, if only players made so few....if this had been SL with Video ref and angles I think a try would have been given.

59 minutes ago, phildog said:

There's a difference to an obstruction try and a penalty try; if, as I suggest in this case, a player is obstructed in his playing for the ball then it's an obstruction try awarded under the posts. If a player is in the act of scoring ie in possession of the ball and about to put it down, which JC wasn't, and is fouled ie hit round the head, violently attacked or kicked, then that is a penalty try, awarded where the ball hits ground with a conversion to follow then a penalty awarded under the posts following the first conversion attempt. For Jones-Bishop to be the nearest man needing him to take Jonny out to prevent him from regathering the ball suggests that he knew what the outcome would be if he didn't take the attacker out. I believe that the ref was wrong, not meaning to pile blame as I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as he's been made out, can only think of one other instance where he was wrong, 2 mistakes in 80 minutes, if only players made so few....if this had been SL with Video ref and angles I think a try would have been given.

Can you point me to the appropriate law where this is stated PD?

I am only aware of a penalty try. When an additional penalty kick is awarded under the posts this is where the try has actually been scored but an offence was committed by a defender during the act of scoring; at least that is the way that I have always understood it.

BSJ, I was a ref in the 70's and 80's! As far as I'm aware basic rules haven't changed. We had one last season at home v Eagles when Lunt was pulled back off a loose ball behind the line.

I found a good write up from the York Press
York City Knights beaten 22-20 in dramatic finale against Batley Bulldogs

A DRAMATIC late try saw York City Knights fall to a 22-20 defeat to Batley Bulldogs at the LNER Community Stadium.

Batley led 10-0 at half-time after some clinical work in attack but York rallied to score three times in seven minutes early in the second half.

They looked destined to return to winning ways at that point, only for Ben Jones-Bishop to be sent to the sin bin and the Bulldogs to score immediately after.

Both sides went in search of a late try to seal the game and, despite York bossing the territory, it was Batley’s Lucas Walshaw who grabbed it with five minutes to go.

Despite the distraught at the result, the Knights’ performance was a world away from the one seen in the defeat at Halifax Panthers last time out. However, they remain without a league win over those sides in the Betfred Championship play-offs and again a close affair has been edged by the opposition.

As York fans have become accustomed to this year, the team showed several changes from the trip to Halifax.

The injured Kriss Brining, Brendan O’Hagan and Will Jubb dropped out along with James Green, Joe Porter and Riley Dean - who has returned to Warrington Wolves.

James Ford handed out three debuts, with Jamie Ellis, Jake Sweeting and Tyla Hepi all coming straight in after signing on loan this week.

Adam Cuthbertson returned to the pack, Jason Bass was a late call-up to the bench after Jubb pulled out and Danny Washbrook was back in the halves.

That left York forced into fielding their seventh different pairing at half-back from just 14 games this year.

Ellis almost immediately showed his top-flight class by breaking the Batley line but Jones-Bishop’s pass that put Matty Marsh in space was ruled forward.

Batley had their share of the territory from then on as Tom Gilmore’s neat kick won a drop out. But York capably dealt with the pressure they were under and managed to hold up hooker Ben Kaye in the Bulldogs’ most promising play.

Knights chances were also limited in an opening 20 minutes that contained practically no errors. They chose to run a penalty in front of the posts, culminating in Ellis misjudging a cut-out pass that flew into touch.

Midway through the half, Batley broke the deadlock in a score that came very much against the run of play. Some incisive runs from Jones-Bishop and Washbrook put them on the front foot and Ellis attempted an early chip over the line.

But Luke Hooley cleverly read the play and charged down the kick before racing away to score under the posts and convert his score.

York’s build-up play was encouraging but their last tackle plays, perhaps understandably given another new half-back pairing, were not troubling Batley.

From an Ellis kick which lacked the distance, York were caught offside and Batley clinically punished them. Tom Gilmore threw a brilliant cut-out pass to allow Jack Logan to put Jodie Broughton in for a walk over.

Near the touchline, Hooley missed the conversion.

York ploughed on for the remainder of the half as they looked to post some points. In good ball though they were struggling to find that last pass.

Sam Scott knocked on as the Knights spread it wide 10m out while an Ellis grubber was well taken by Hooley just a metre away from his own line, leaving Batley 10-0 up at half-time.

York were given an early chance after the restart when Batley knocked on and were penalised in their own half, but the move fell away when Hepi knocked on.

Marching upfield, the Bulldogs continued to be smartly led by the experienced Gilmore whose kick wide won a drop-out, with his subsequent chip being well fielded by Jones-Bishop.

A dozen minutes into the half, York finally found their groove and three tries in quick succession suddenly changed the complexion of the game.

On the repeat set, they again spread the ball to the right and this time Jones-Bishop grabbed himself a deserved try after wrestling off tackles by the corner.

Straight from the restart they stormed upfield Marsh’s grubber took a fortunate bounce which saw Dixon leap and ground the ball.

Then, last but not least, York’s crisp passing put them close and when Dixon was in the corner, he stepped inside past two defenders and managed to wriggle over the line.

The winger converted all three scores and, in a flash, York had an eight-point lead.

You would be forgiven for thinking that the contest was now heading in only one direction for this point but Batley put paid to any such thoughts.

The impressive Jones-Bishop was sin-binned for a tackle without the ball on Johnny Campbell as the pair chased the latter's in-goal grubber.

From the next set, Batley, now with the numerical advantage, switched play to the opposite flank for Broughton to cross for his second try.

Hooley’s conversion left the visitors only two behind, though that deficit was extended to four when Dixon knocked over a penalty goal after a late shot on Washbrook with 10 minutes to go.

Late on, there were hearts-in-mouths scenes as Hooley broke the line and put Elliot Hall in the clear, only for the referee to rule the simple pass as forward, much to the relief of the home fans.

York then almost sealed the points when Marsh broke free, but on the next play Jack Teanby knocked on as attempted to barge over, with an over-lap available down the flank.

With five minutes to go, Batley clinched it. With bodies everywhere in broken field, Batley kept it alive and as Dane Manning threw an offload under the posts which Lucas Walshaw grounded before Hooley crucially converted.

The Knights threw everything but the kitchen sink at Batley. They won the short kick-off, a repeat set and a drop out as the pressure mounted on the Bulldogs line.

With seconds to go, a last-ditch offload from Adam Cuthbertson on the line fell to Batley hands and as the final hooter sounded, York’s players fell to the ground in despair.

York: Marsh, Jones-Bishop, Atkins, Salter, K. Dixon, Washbrook, Ellis, Cuthbertson, Sweeting, Teanby, Clarkson, Scott, Spears.

Subs (all used): Bass, Baldwinson, Stock, Hepi.

Tries: Jones-Bishop (52), K. Dixon (55, 59)

Goals: K. Dixon (4/4)

Sin bins: Jones-Bishop (62)

Batley: Hooley, Campbell, Walshaw, Logan, Broughton, White, Gilmore, Everett, Kaye, Blagbrough, Manning, Buchanan, Flynn.

Subs (all used): Hall, Leak, Lillycrop, Ward.

Tries: Hooley (18), Broughton (30, 63), Walshaw (75)

Goals: Hooley (3/4)

York’s Star Man: Kieran Dixon. Another great performance by the winger who set the tone with his early-set carries and was perfect with the boot.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

On 21/06/2021 at 20:47, phildog said:

BSJ, I was a ref in the 70's and 80's! As far as I'm aware basic rules haven't changed. We had one last season at home v Eagles when Lunt was pulled back off a loose ball behind the line.

So you can't point out where the appropriate law states this distinction? 

No wonder that you are no longer refereeing. 

😘

Match Highlights

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

BSJ a) too old b) no longer have a rule book. YOU could get one and read up on it if you think I'm talking out of my....or try and find the highlights of Batley v Sheffield 2020 and look at the Lunt try. My case rests.

12 minutes ago, phildog said:

BSJ a) too old b) no longer have a rule book. YOU could get one and read up on it if you think I'm talking out of my....or try and find the highlights of Batley v Sheffield 2020 and look at the Lunt try. My case rests.

The laws are all posted on the RFL web site. Your recollection of them has obviously faded with age.

Archived