Club songs

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Cronulla have adapted Roll out the Barrel for their club song. Always good to work from an out-of-copyright original melody.

Dunno what I was listening to when I typed that in, but it sounds nothing like the glorious Up Up Cronulla that gets boomed out by the crowd after victories at Shark Park.

However, the best entrance I have ever seen is Virginia Tech Gridiron. Would love to see examples of other clubs/sports demonstrate anything similar.

A fantastic example of how to make your home games an event. Utterly enjoyable for your own fans, yet totally inhospitable to the players of the opposing team.

17 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I have heard their fans sing it, at the old Parkside, but couldn't for the life of me sing it myself.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

At Hilton Park it used to be ' send in the gladiators ' which was often referred to as ' the circus clown song ' 

Wire used to come out to that at Wilderspool too.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

7 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

I used to watch Featherstone in the seventies and seem to remember them coming on the pitch to a trumpet solo. Or had I had too much ale in the rovers social club.

We used to run out to The Hustle in the 70,s when i was on the supporters club committee. 

On 14/06/2021 at 16:39, latchford albion said:

Wire used to come out to that at Wilderspool too.

Seriously?

I thought all the references to that song were sarcasm.

I can’t think of a more inappropriate tune to come out to!

I don’t remember any game-opening tunes at Wilderspool until the early 2000s when Sean Mellor started using The Prodigy and Duran Duran. I think we used Tom Hark for tries scored from the start of Super League.

38 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Seriously?

I thought all the references to that song were sarcasm.

I can’t think of a more inappropriate tune to come out to!

I don’t remember any game-opening tunes at Wilderspool until the early 2000s when Sean Mellor started using The Prodigy and Duran Duran. I think we used Tom Hark for tries scored from the start of Super League.

Afraid so.  In the early 70s at least.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

On 13/06/2021 at 21:56, Man of Kent said:

Have to say Old Faithful is my favourite club song.

Who would have thought a song - which must be about 100 years old - about a man’s love for his dying horse would endure.

Do we know when it was first sung by Hull FC fans?

On 13/06/2021 at 22:01, Barley Mow said:

Old Faithful was written by Gene Autry in 1933 and 1st sung by Hull FC about Joe Oliver, who played for them 1928-37 and 1943-45, so must have been between 1933 and 1945.

I'm proud to say that, about 20 years ago, I was called to a job in the Avenues area of Hull to check on a faulty security light for a customer. After talking to her for some time, it transpired that she was 94 years young, and remembered her dad taking her to the Boulevard in the 1930's where she remembered seeing Joe Oliver play.

It was an absolute privilege talking to her, although it was tempered somewhat when the following conversation took place...

94 year old lady : "Thanks for doing the job but I'm not really sure if I should have bothered as I don't think I'll be here much longer"

Me : "Don't be daft, you seem like a really sprightly lady to me, I'm sure you'll be around for a good while yet!"

94 year old lady : "Oh, I didn't mean that, I'm moving to Doncaster in a few weeks"

Me : speechless.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Swinton - Wonder of you, fans sing a version called wonder of blue 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2021 at 04:03, Futtocks said:

Cronulla have adapted Roll out the Barrel for their club song. Always good to work from an out-of-copyright original melody.

I was reminded of your comment when the origin of the Sharks song came up in a podcast. Turns out you are bang on the money. Whatever I first listened to sounded nothing like the Sharks song (perhaps there was a long intro) but when I found “Skoda Lasky” (the original lyrics to “Roll out the Barrel”) sung in Czech, there it was in all its glory. 

Following up on Sports Prophet's post, I Googled the composer and was somewhat amazed to find that he died as late as 1988.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The old Canberra Raiders song.. before The Mighty Green Machine song.

Plus the victory song.

Club Victory Song

Leader: Raiders have the forward pack;
Rest: Raiders have the forward pack;
Leader: Always working never slack;
Rest: (repeat above);
Leader: Raiders have the back line;
Leader: We’re the boys that like to shine;
Leader: Raiders boys are big & mean;
Leader: ‘cos we are the men in GREEN!
Leader: Raiders boys are full of class;
Leader: ‘cos we just kicked the (opponents);
Leader: Don’t you know!
Rest: That’s the sound of the men working on the Chain....Gang
Rest: That’s the sound of the men working on the Chain....Gang
All: Oo-Ah, Oo-Ah, Oo-Ah, Oo-Ah……………………………

On 13/06/2021 at 20:04, Lowdesert said:

Last time I was there, I seem to think I Hulls walk on was Baba O’Riley by the Who.

Apparently it was based on life around the Whalebone pub.

Wasn't Baba O'Riley chosen by the announcer who sadly passed a few years ago at a youngish age?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 13/06/2021 at 19:49, Phil said:

In soccer parlance they’re called “walk ons” so in our game we’ve got Hull FC - Old Faithful, HKR - The Red Red Robin, Hunslet - We’ve ploughed the seas before boys, St Helens - When the Saints go marching in, Leeds - Marching on Together.

Any others current or historical? 

don't think hunslet fans will be pleased with your interpretation  of there song. personally I think it more appropriate. Well done

do the Bradford bulls still come out to . brother can you spare a dime

LEEDS used to come out to  keep right on to the end of the road 

On 16/06/2021 at 15:15, sweaty craiq said:

I always liked the owd Wiggin fans song that went something like “We come from Scholes and Whelley, we’re ugly and we’re smelly, we rob our neighbours telly, the Wiggin family da da da etc” Always like fans who tekk P out of themselves

was it not  The Martians have landed in Wiggin 

Archived