Matt Dufty or Corey Norman for Super League?

Both full back Matt Dufty and five eighth Corey Norman have just been told that they are not wanted beyond this season by St. George-Illawarra rugby league club.

Dufty, who is not on big money, has only been in conversations with Canberra Raiders. No other club has shown interest. This means that he cannot demand a financially extravagant contract.

Norman’s agent has been trying to find another NRL club for him, but has found no interest. Norman will thus not be demanding a huge financial deal.

This suggest that both players, who are still in their prime, could be attracted to good offers from Super League clubs.

Which clubs are most likely to put in an offer to them?

I like Matt Dufty, and reckon he'd fit well into SL, the way he plays.

Cory Norman, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much x-factor to him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pretty sure Norman was part of St George’s plan to get Widdop back, but Warrington didn’t want to play ball.

Maybe Canberra will take one of Norman or Dufty when Williams heads to the HJ later this week.

4 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Pretty sure Norman was part of St George’s plan to get Widdop back, but Warrington didn’t want to play ball.

Maybe Canberra will take one of Norman or Dufty when Williams heads to the HJ later this week.

Georgie Williams to where?

19 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Georgie Williams to where?

Halliwell Jones stadium. I thought everyone knew it as that? Maybe you’re based in Aus but that is Warrington’s home ground, FYI.

dufty is far too good for sl - he might as well be given man of steel as he leaves the airport in sydney- am sure he will find another club in the nrl easily enough

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

33 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

dufty is far too good for sl - he might as well be given man of steel as he leaves the airport in sydney- am sure he will find another club in the nrl easily enough

The extent to which NRL stars can maintain their quality when moving to SL depends on how well they settle, and in particular their families. Some do well, many turn out terrible irrespective of how good they have been in the past. It’s usually the bad boys who adjust easily as they tend to be more resilient.

I like Dufty but if he was a Super League player we would be told he was nowhere near good enough for the NRL... he has an exciting running game but his positional play and speedbump defence makes him pretty average overall.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I like Dufty but if he was a Super League player we would be told he was nowhere near good enough for the NRL... he has an exciting running game but his positional play and speedbump defence makes him pretty average overall.

Like Bevan French or Ben Barba…?

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Like Bevan French or Ben Barba…?

Sorry, not sure what your point is.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Dufty should be at the Dragons and Griffin shouldn’t if he wants rid of him. They’re bang average and ditching their most potent attacking link . He can’t do this and he can’t do that ... he CAN do what none of the rest can do . If they shove him out id be very surprised if he doesn’t get picked up . As for Corey Norman , the bloke has coasted a living there since day one and I really wouldn’t bother with him 

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Has Corey Norman ever been in his prime ?

Bang average player at his best.

I've already made my feeling known over Dufty, great in attack, very suspect in defence.

As for Norman - bang average is being kind - he's pi$$ poor. Had 1 good season years ago, got himself a big contract and has regressed ever since.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds are in the market for a new half back for 2022 with Rob Lui leaving to move back to Australia, I’m not sure whether Corey Norman will be on the radar or not.

Please god let him sign for Leeds 😆

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

It's interesting how the perceptions work on here.

Matt Dufty had his best season in the NRL is 2018 when he played 26 games.  In that year he had 22 tries or try assists and 23 line breaks or line breaks assists.

In 2014 Sam Tomkins played 24 games in the NRL and had 26 tries or try assists and 26 line breaks or line break assists.

But Sam Tomkins was a flop in the NRL and Matt Dufty is far too good for Super League.

While I agree with the point the post above is making about Tomkins and Dufty, it is worth remembering the price tag and expectations that were on Tomkins. Didn't help commentary about his performance.

I personally think he performed well in an erratic team, but also fair to say he didn't quite live up to the hype either. Good enough for the NRL? Definitely. Good enough for the chunk of salary cap he took up? Maybe not. 

Anyway, to the topic at hand! Dufty would light up Superleague, Norman would be ordinary. His attitude is poor. He always seems to play in losing teams, pretty much wherever he goes. 

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It's interesting how the perceptions work on here.

But Sam Tomkins was a flop in the NRL and Matt Dufty is far too good for Super League.

tomkins was not a flop in the nrl- i watched all the games he played in and the warriors were a far better team with him in the side- the flop tag is very cruel but unfortunately labels stick 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived