Batley this Sunday

georgeb1

Hard to sum today up. Would’ve preferred to play boring and get the 2 points, but overall much better to watch.

There were some really big efforts today, I’ve been critical of BJB however he was much improved - by the way thought the ref got it spot on with his sin bin from where I was sat. Cuthbertson using his size to more effect. K.Dixon great in attack, shame the player ran straight through/past him very similar to the Fev game, he really needs more support from his centre. I thought it was a great effort from Bass who looked to be playing hooker in the 2nd half, apart from 1 bad pass he filled in well. 

The big area we are struggling in is support play, both in defence and attack. We are making too many breaks without anyone backing up. Likewise in defence we are often seeing one player tackling the opposition, while the rest watch on thinking tackle is completed and then suddenly he offloads the ball. I think that happened for the last Batley try.

Referee - Batley fans saying he gave York rub of the green, and probably York fans saying vice versa. As above BJB sin bin was the right decision. One of York’s tries looked forward. But Batley can count themselves lucky not to have had a sin bin themselves, on 2 occasions they kicked the ball away. Also around the 30 minute mark Chris Clarkson lost a boot, a Batley player picked it up and threw it as far as he could in the opposite direction, not very sporting (and no he wasn’t chucking it to the sideline). 

I hope we stick with the same side because we need a settled side. Next week at Haven will be tough, lose and things are going to become difficult. Simply put we have to win. 

Someone said the crowd was less than 500?!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously we did not get the result we all wanted today but it was a much improved performance. We had a new half back partnership (again) and Ellis showed glimpses of what he can do and Washy was dependable but does not have the pace to threaten but his distribution was a lot better getting the ball out to the edges. We also had 2 new hookers in Sweeting and Bass mostly all attacking threats come from your 6-7-9 and to say only two of these joined Thursday it’s was not too bad. I’m sure Bass has never played hooker before and I think he showed up well.

I think we are on the cusp of getting it right, today you could tell the whole place seemed a bit subdued maybe nerves, even the stadium announcer sounded depressed but I believe a win can turn it around and we can get on a roll.

Im ever the optimist and think we can make the playoffs baring Fev and Toulouse away the rest of the games are winnable and as we have seen before when you start to win it becomes a habit let’s hope it starts next week at Whitehaven.

36 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

There were some really big efforts today, I’ve been critical of BJB however he was much improved - by the way thought the ref got it spot on with his sin bin from where I was sat.

Sin bin was correct, however. The play leading it up to it was questionable for me. Watching on OL, after the Batley breaks, he's stopped, but his arm never touches the floor and the ref shouts "play on" two or three times, to witch the Batley player then plays the ball. Is that not a penalty to us in that situation?

9 hours ago, AB Knight said:

There were some really big efforts today, I’ve been critical of BJB however he was much improved - by the way thought the ref got it spot on with his sin bin from where I was sat.  

Referee - Batley fans saying he gave York rub of the green, and probably York fans saying vice versa. As above BJB sin bin was the right decision. One of York’s tries looked forward. But Batley can count themselves lucky not to have had a sin bin themselves, on 2 occasions they kicked the ball away. Also around the 30 minute mark Chris Clarkson lost a boot, a Batley player picked it up and threw it as far as he could in the opposite direction, not very sporting (and no he wasn’t chucking it to the sideline). 

Next week at Haven will be tough, lose and things are going to become difficult. Simply put we have to win. 

Someone said the crowd was less than 500?!

I was surprised that Hooley went around BJB so easily when he took off after grabbing Ellis's kick. Maybe just wrong footed.

Thought the iffy decisions evened themselves out but would like to look again at Dixon's grounding of one of his tries and what Manning doing in trying to prevent the touchdown ??

Deffo a sin binning I'm afraid for BJB, Campbell would have scored, he measured that grubber kick superbly.

Luke Hooley was the 'welly-wanger' but he had a cracking game. Played against us for Dewsbury on loan from Wakey a couple of seasons ago and I was impressed then too.

Dont want to worry you but we haven't won at Haven since, er, about 1664.

Nah, I'd have said 1150.

Thought Matty Marsh was superb again today and Scotty grafted as hard as ever. Good to see Spearsie approaching his best, we so need his influence.

Still can't believe Lillycrop's fly hack forward and the favourable bounce he got, Fortune favours the brave, they say..

41 minutes ago, andyacko said:

Thought the iffy decisions evened themselves out but would like to look again at Dixon's grounding of one of his tries

Dont want to worry you but we haven't won at Haven since, er, about 1664.

If it's the one in the corner you are referring to his grounding was fine, I was perfectly in line with it. He took it very well and was amazed at how he grounded it given his position when he caught the ball.

Am I right in thinking as well that we have never won at Whitehaven since reforming as YCK?

Jason Bass Fan Club - member #001

Agree that we were much improved from the Fax game but thats a no brainer, and overall it was a good, free flowing and entertaining match to watch between two evenly matched sides. BUT, allowing for the fact that this is the strongest Batley side for years, on paper we have the players to win these games at home and yet we are still only playing well in patches. As has been mentioned many times it hasn't helped that we have had so many different combinations in the halves, but l often think that one of our biggest problem areas is in the pack, simply because we are usually not the biggest. When we do manage to get into our opponents 20 how many times do we see a prop busting tackles and charging over the line? In those frantic last few minutes Teanby was killing himself trying to get through and it was left to one of our older players, Cuthbo, to try and break the line. I've thought all season that we need more grunt up front. As some have noted Ellis didnt look match fit but it was good to see some nice touches and his organizing ability, knowing our luck this season we'll get him match fit then Leigh will call him back!

8 hours ago, Toby The Tram said:

If it's the one in the corner you are referring to his grounding was fine, I was perfectly in line with it. He took it very well and was amazed at how he grounded it given his position when he caught the ball.

Am I right in thinking as well that we have never won at Whitehaven since reforming as YCK?

No, sorry, didnt mean Kieran's grounding, but the attempt to prevent him doing so.

No, pretty sure we haven't.

2 hours ago, RogerT said:

That's the trouble with loans, yes you do have injuries but so do we.

I was actually quite shocked to see how many injured players Batley had missing.

A much better performance from the Knights, Ellis is class and if we can keep him for longer than the 2 weeks he will make a difference once he's fit, the players looked up for it and some had their best game for a while, regarding Whitehaven away and not winning there for a long time, if I remember we had not won at Barrow for a long time and we won there twice in a season not so long ago, we are getting there and with a couple more players back we will be O.K. 

4 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

All the old has beens are still above your team and don't forget they beat you at your place, even after they drew their pensions 🙂 🙂

Imagine going onto a forum to gloat when your own team got 68 put past them. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

You were all gobbing off pre season how you were going to rip up the championship with the likes of BJB how he would be the best winger in the championship, how your ground is above and beyond any ground in the championship, your fast becoming self entitled numpties 

Done nowt, won nowt, entitled to... You guessed it.. Nowt

Yes my team got battered for the 2nd week running.. So what?? 

We were expected to so no surprise 

You expected to beat Batley.. And you didn't, you need to learn a certain level of realism that your simply not as good as you think

🤔🤔

Arrogance doesn't become you🤔🤔

13 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Very enjoyable game today, and , after Swinton away, probably the best Knights performance. We didn't get the run of the ball at times, but to suggest we are lucky to have Oldham and Swinton to hold us up is, in my opinion, wide of the mark. It was obvious today that Ellis and Hepi lacked match fitness, but Ellis showed enough to suggest if we can hang on to him he could go a long way to solving the problem we have at half back. Do that and we will be winning games again and have an outside chance of making the top 5.

One gripe today, is why we didn't take the easy 2 points from the penalty we were given when it was still 0 - 0.  We could have had points on the board, and we would have got the ball back to start again. Was it the difference between winning or not?

Ellis and Hepi are probably lacking match fitness,but are only here for 2 weeks and we are back in the same position with who we play in the halves,can't keep bringing in new players in every couple of weeks and expecting them to hit the ground running,got to be looking to bring someone in for least a month or longer term to get continuity in the team .

9 minutes ago, coolie said:

You were all gobbing off pre season how you were going to rip up the championship with the likes of BJB how he would be the best winger in the championship, how your ground is above and beyond any ground in the championship, your fast becoming self entitled numpties 

You expected to beat Batley.. And you didn't, you need to learn a certain level of realism that your simply not as good as you think

🤔🤔

Wet the bed again?

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

12 minutes ago, coolie said:

🤔🤔

Nice bit of bait there lad, but you're going to have to try better 

18 minutes ago, coolie said:

🤔🤔

Can you please show us all the things we were supposed to be spouting off about, or is it all in your sad little head.

1 minute ago, spanishknight said:

Can you please show us all the things we were supposed to be spouting off about, or is it all in your sad little head.

He’s just trolling. I spent 8 lovely years working in the Dewsbury/Ossett area, there’s really not much going on there....both in the area and inbetween their ears. 

1 minute ago, AB Knight said:

He’s just trolling. I spent 8 lovely years working in the Dewsbury/Ossett area, there’s really not much going on there....both in the area and inbetween their ears. 

He's just a sad pathetic person, at the start of the season he was boasting about how good the Rams were and York would lose their first 5 games.

3 hours ago, spanishknight said:

On 27/02/2021 at 11:38, spanishknight said:

Anyone know the date of the playoff final please?.

HTH

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

HTH

Is that the only bit of "gobbing off pre-season" you can find then, someone asking the date of the play-off final?

Archived