Match Thread: Championship Round 10, Dewsbury v Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Sunday-20th-June-2021

marklaspalmas

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, The Grinder said:

If Fev and Toulouse both lose the same number of games this year the “Difference Percentage” will never come into play. This is because Fev will have played more games than Toulouse and therefore our “Win Percentage” will be greater putting us top of the league. 

The only two scenarios where the “Differene Percentage” would come into play are:

1) If both teams end up on 100% win percentage, which could happen if the Fev v Toulouse game was cancelled due to COVID-19.

2) If Fev have to cancel games due to COVID-19 and end up playing the same number of games as Toulouse with the same numbers of losses.

Therefore I’d not worry about how many points we concede in any one game as long as we keep winning.

This is a great bit of analysis, and also highlights the fact that, as long as we don't have to cancel any games due to Covid, if we beat Toulouse we can afford to lose 1 game because as The Grinder says we will then have lost the same number of games as Toulouse but won more and thus have a higher win percentage.

Of course we are still missing one vital piece of information. Let's say Fev and Toulouse finish first and second, thus getting a 1st-round bye in the play-offs, and then both win their semi finals. Where will the Grand Final/Million pound game be played? Will it be on a neutral ground or at the ground of the highest-seeded team?

I can't find this information anywhere on any RFL documentation. I asked Matthew Shaw and Aaron Bower, two of the better-informed RL journalists, both of whom follow the Championship closely, and neither of them knew. If the final is going to be at a neutral ground, the advantage of finishing first rather than second is minimal; if it's to be played at the top-seeded ground it's huge.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is a great bit of analysis, and also highlights the fact that, as long as we don't have to cancel any games due to Covid, if we beat Toulouse we can afford to lose 1 game because as The Grinder says we will then have lost the same number of games as Toulouse but won more and thus have a higher win percentage.

Of course we are still missing one vital piece of information. Let's say Fev and Toulouse finish first and second, thus getting a 1st-round bye in the play-offs, and then both win their semi finals. Where will the Grand Final/Million pound game be played? Will it be on a neutral ground or at the ground of the highest-seeded team?

I can't find this information anywhere on any RFL documentation. I asked Matthew Shaw and Aaron Bower, two of the better-informed RL journalists, both of whom follow the Championship closely, and neither of them knew. If the final is going to be at a neutral ground, the advantage of finishing first rather than second is minimal; if it's to be played at the top-seeded ground it's huge.

PH,

It was reported back in March by Martyn Sadler that the game would be at the highest placed finalist, see here: https://www.totalrl.com/championship-deserves-a-neutral-grand-final/

So you are correct if we beat TO in our one league game against them we can lose one game (assuming TO do not lose any other games) and still finish top of the league (regardless of the "Diff %") providing we don't have games hit by Covid.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

18 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

PH,

It was reported back in March by Martyn Sadler that the game would be at the highest placed finalist, see here: https://www.totalrl.com/championship-deserves-a-neutral-grand-final/

Ok thanks for that. Do you know if the RFL ever got around to actually confirming it, as Sadler said they were "about to" do so?

It's just asking for every conspiracy theorist of whatever persuasion to come out of the woodwork and allege bias if it's not confirmed until we know which club looks likely to top the table (ie after our game against Toulouse).

7 hours ago, POR said:

A pleasing aspect about yesterday after all the furore in the past craig got his kicking boots out of the bag

In fairness Dewsbury's pitch is so narrow, it's like evey kick is in front of the posts!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

7 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

In fairness Dewsbury's pitch is so narrow, it's like evey kick is in front of the posts!

That's true but he went through a patch when he was missing them more than the harder kicks

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Couple of late thoughts having watched the replay.

Interesting that Tom Holmes seemed to be captain in Locky's absence (over the likes of Koppy and Hall).

My eyesight isn't what it used to be but was that Greg Stebbings reprising his gameday role or have we hired someone who looks (and runs) like him?

Did we get someone put on report about twenty yards out to the main stand side of the field nearest the main road posts.Ref  put both hands in the air but couldn't see if he crossed them.

The Dewsbury faithful  think the referee had a hand in their defeat

first minutes or so of the 2nd half the game stopped being a contest thanks largely to the ref.

Normally you watch the highlights and realise the ref was right, but not sure the officials will want to watch some of this.

the referee  influenced Fev’s win 

A couple of quite controversial refereeing decisions

So lets not get too big headed and remind ourselves we are only unbeaten because we are the ref's favourite pet

2 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Did we get someone put on report about twenty yards out to the main stand side of the field nearest the main road posts.Ref  put both hands in the air but couldn't see if he crossed them.

JUNIOR got put on report when he was  3rd man in tackle rams lad needed some treatment but was ok 

On 21/06/2021 at 11:46, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ok thanks for that. Do you know if the RFL ever got around to actually confirming it, as Sadler said they were "about to" do so?

It's just asking for every conspiracy theorist of whatever persuasion to come out of the woodwork and allege bias if it's not confirmed until we know which club looks likely to top the table (ie after our game against Toulouse).

PH,

I‘be done a quick google and I have been unable to find anything that backs up Sadler or that contradicts him. Had a look in the 2021 operational rules abs again found nothing specific for the championship GF.

so conspiracy theories can still abound.

That said in this case I’m tempted to put credence in Saddler’s reporting given the 6 team play-off structure announced for 2020 is still available, the RFL have not announced anything different and though we are almost halfway through the season there is no ticketing info for a neutral venue.

on that basis I have booked some holidays around the GF just in case we make the final and it is played in France. So that COVID-19 allowing I can get to the final.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

48 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

PH,

I‘be done a quick google and I have been unable to find anything that backs up Sadler or that contradicts him. Had a look in the 2021 operational rules abs again found nothing specific for the championship GF.

so conspiracy theories can still abound.

That said in this case I’m tempted to put credence in Saddler’s reporting given the 6 team play-off structure announced for 2020 is still available, the RFL have not announced anything different and though we are almost halfway through the season there is no ticketing info for a neutral venue.

on that  basis I have booked some holidays around the GF just in case we make the final and it is played in France. So that COVID-19 allowing I can get to the final.

Good idea TG but would have thought if covid was still raising it's  ugly head and travel restrictions were still in place FULL time TO will have to play the final in england

We have to accept that this season is very difficult to organise while still battling the Pandemic.Teams not playing each other twice and limited attendances with some late cancellation's more in S.L than Championship have added to the confusion.However now is the time to put out a statement regarding the venue for the play offs and the venue for the Final.Another month and we should be getting back to something like normal.

On 22/06/2021 at 17:51, Drifter said:

Its a sad state of affairs when even people connected with the game don't know what the hell is going on. From one year to the next it's a lottery as to what is going to happen. At least the football pyramid is easy to understand and clubs can plan long term if they wish

You've got to understand D that the  world famous well respected organisation 

THE RUGBY FOOTBALL LEAGUE 

couldn't run a proverbial in a brewery

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

I agree with you though it doesn't help that when you go to the shiny new RFL website and click on "Championship", at the bottom of the page there's a link inviting you to "Download the Guide" to promotion, relegation and the play-offs - click on the link and it brings you to this page https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/docs/2020 Structure League Structure V2.pdf

which is the link to the 2020 play-off structure with 5 teams qualifying not 6🙄

Archived