Thu 17 Jun: SL: St Helens v Warrington Wolves KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/06/21 at 19:15

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

In an attempt to turn the conversation away from straw clutching, was that a really good game or really bad game?

I'm honestly not sure what I think. Thought it was quite tense towards the end but wonder what the neutral view was?

Bad, missed tackles, basic one up rugby, slow ruck, poor kicking on last, stopping the game pretending to be injured, poor refereeing to allow all of the above and more.

Just now, Chris22 said:

In an attempt to turn the conversation away from straw clutching, was that a really good game or really bad game?

I'm honestly not sure what I think. Thought it was quite tense towards the end but wonder what the neutral view was?

I think you could lump it into the same category as the 2019 cup final, and several of the grand finals. Tense, low scoring and defensive. Technically a classic but not one that will suddenly pop into your head when reminiscing.

17 minutes ago, hullste said:

To be fair Warrington did stop the game a number of times when they were defending their line with so called injuries. Like watching Catalans a few years ago who were Masters at it. Toby King ran back 40 yards on one occasion to collapse on his line to make sure the ref had to stop the play. 🤔 

Should get a retrospective 5 game ban for this to stamp it out of the game

Just now, Chris22 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great defence from both teams, an abundance of tries doesn't always make for a great game the same as the lack of tries doesn't always mean it's a poor game.

The number of repeat sets that Saints had without really troubling the Wire line must give concern to Woolfe. Looked to me like the usually inspirational Lomax was perhaps carrying an injury, Fages was ordinary without him being on form.

Well done Wire.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

No, you said some stuff which was your opinion which no one agreed with. If you get challenged over a penalty which you think should have been given just state your reasons. Instead you went into flippant comments not related to the game. 

But I’m being unfair. Start again and take a step back from the emotion, explaining the issue.

Opinions which the commentators also said live but they refused to talk about it and made sure the saints interviews were not live so could also sensor them

8 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I enjoyed it.

9 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great defence from both teams, an abundance of tries doesn't always make for a great game the same as the lack of tries doesn't always mean it's a poor game.

The number of repeat sets that Saints had without really troubling the Wire line must give concern to Woolfe. Looked to me like the usually inspirational Lomax was perhaps carrying an injury, Fages was ordinary without him being on form.

Well done Wire.

Due to poor ruck control from the ref and 'injuries'

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I think it should have been a try regardless, I would sooner watch a game with trys, we call union for tgis but our game is turning into it.

Several acts of gamesmanship in multiple games this season Gaskell being the worst for me running into a player and falling down like he had been shot.

To have been a penalty try, the referee has to be certain in his mind that a try would have been scored but for foul play.

Even if you argue that the shoulder barge was illegal, there was no way it could be argued a try was definite.

Your second line regarding Gaskell, well, I doubt anyone could argue with that

13 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

But apart from all that you think warrington we're great?

Nope, just borderline cheated their way through.. not warringtons fault the ref let them get away with it so dont blame them. If warrington had been one of the supposed weaker clubs they would have been penilised off the park

7 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

To have been a penalty try, the referee has to be certain in his mind that a try would have been scored but for foul play.

Even if you argue that the shoulder barge was illegal, there was no way it could be argued a try was definite.

Your second line regarding Gaskell, well, I doubt anyone could argue with that

Sin bin for the barge?

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Due to poor ruck control from the ref and 'injuries'

No,down to great Wire defence,does the fact that your literally the only person blaming the ref for Saints defeat not suggest something mate.

Just now, yipyee said:

Sin bin for the barge?

If the ball was sitting there waiting to be touched down then possibly although, as I said earlier, both players were running back so I wouldn't have been surprised either way, penalty or no penalty.

As it was, the ball was running dead so no possibility of a try.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

No,down to great Wire defence,does the fact that your literally the only person blaming the ref for Saints defeat not suggest something mate.

I've just had a nosey on the redvee saints forum, it's quite a toxic venue, and many share yipyee's view, sadly.

A few others do think that's them making excuses for saints poor attacking performances under Wolfe.

16 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Various posts deleted.

Way too much personal abuse creeping in here.

Stick to discussing the game.

Next one who throws an insult in here will be getting 7 days on the sidelines.

John, my post seems to be one of those you have deleted.  Why?

I asked yipyee to give an answer to the question Padge had posed; why, under the laws of the game, should the ref have given Saints a penalty try?  You also seem to have removed Padge's contribution.  Why?

What was wrong with my comment (or Padge's come to that)?

If you are suggesting I was personally abusing yipyee, then I resent that deeply.  "Stick to discussing the game", you say.  Well, how about, 'Why under the laws of the game do you think Saints should have been given a penalty try?'

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Great game, best I’ve seen in some time. Shame the clowns on commentary couldn’t appreciate it and talked it down 

The game was very very similar to last year's Grand Final. 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I asked yipyee to give an answer to the question Padge had posed; why, under the laws of the game, should the ref have given Saints a penalty try?  You also seem to have removed Padge's contribution.  Why?

If you are suggesting I was personally abusing yipyee, then I resent that deeply.  "Stick to discussing the game", you say.  Well, how about, 'Why under the laws of the game do you think Saints should have been given a penalty try?'

I wouldn't worry too much about it, perhaps your post contained a quote from said Saints fan that he couldn't leave in.

I wouldn't fancy moderating any sort of internet forum, they get very messy at times.

15 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I've just had a nosey on the redvee saints forum, it's quite a toxic venue, and many share yipyee's view, sadly.

A few others do think that's them making excuses for saints poor attacking performances under Wolfe.

Saints have a gameplan thats hard to stop, some saints fans (me included) find it a bit dull but its effective. In my opinion the referee let warrington stop this gameplan unfairly.. I get warrington fans may think otherwise but warrington didnt outplay saints, just stopped saints from playing by gamesmanship, 

20 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

If the ball was sitting there waiting to be touched down then possibly although, as I said earlier, both players were running back so I wouldn't have been surprised either way, penalty or no penalty.

As it was, the ball was running dead so no possibility of a try.

One was running quicker than the other, it was stopping a try scoring opportunity, if the ball was bouncing dead quicker the defender wouldnt have done it..

13 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Saints have a gameplan thats hard to stop, some saints fans (me included) find it a bit dull but its effective. In my opinion the referee let warrington stop this gameplan unfairly.. I get warrington fans may think otherwise but warrington didnt outplay saints, just stopped saints from playing by gamesmanship, 

Saints got a number of cheap 6 again calls in the 2nd half despite them being just as guilty of slowing the ruck.

28 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

A whole swathe of posts got deleted, because when we delete problematic post(s), we also have to delete those who were quoting or responding to them, even if those posts themselves weren't problematic, otherwise they wouldn't make sense in isolation.

43 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

These people never disappoint.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived