Sun 20 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

SUNDAY 20th JUNE
Dewsbury Rams v Featherstone Rovers KO 15:00
London Broncos v Whitehaven KO 15:00 (OurLeague)
Newcastle Thunder v Oldham KO 15:00
Swinton Lions v Halifax Panthers KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00 (OurLeague)
York City Knights v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00 (OurLeague)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dewsbury Rams 10-48 Featherstone Rovers 
London Broncos 42-16 Whitehaven 
Newcastle Thunder 30-18 Oldham 
Swinton Lions 14-38 Halifax Panthers 
Widnes Vikings 40-10 Sheffield Eagles 
York City Knights 30-20 Batley Bulldogs

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Dewsbury Rams 12-36 Featherstone Rovers 
London Broncos 50-10 Whitehaven 
Newcastle Thunder 28-20 Oldham
Swinton Lions 16-38 Halifax Panthers 
Widnes Vikings 34 - 14Sheffield Eagles 
York City Knights 22-20 Batley Bulldogs 

Dewsbury Rams v Featherstone Rovers - Can't see anything but an easy Fev win. Dewsbury are in danger of been in a relegation battle this season. Fev by 36.
London Broncos v Whitehaven - Easy London one in this one, as spirited as Haven are its a tough ask for them. London by 24.
Newcastle Thunder v Oldham - Probably the game of the round both teams can do their relegation hopes a boost here. Thunder by 8.
Swinton Lions v Halifax Panthers - Fax with the 3rd best attack and 3rd best defence should rack up a lot of points in this one but Swinton is traditionally a bit of a bogey fixture for us. I would say at the moment we are playing too well to have a loss in this game but you never know. Fax by 40.
Widnes Vikings v Sheffield Eagles - Easy Widnes win for them to gain a bit of confidence. Sheffield playing like a team that could get in relegation trouble but they should be ok. Widnes by 20.
York City Knights v Batley Bulldogs - Batley should have too much for York but a York loss in this one sets them adrift from the top 6 so could almost be a must win game for them. Batley by 10.

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

SUNDAY 20th JUNE
Dewsbury Rams16 v Featherstone Rovers 44KO 15:00
London Broncos24 v Whitehaven 26KO 15:00 (OurLeague)
Newcastle Thunder 26v Oldham 16KO 15:00
Swinton Lions 12v Halifax Panthers 34KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings22 v Sheffield Eagles KO18 15:00 (OurLeague)
York City Knights 28v Batley Bulldogs 18KO 15:00 (OurLeague)

There's a lot of variance in Championship teams' performances this year isn't there?

The Bradford that capitulated to Sheffield and Fev v the Bradford that won 6 in a row

The Halifax that lost to Oldham and self-destructed at Bradford v the Fax that has beaten several top 6 challengers by good margins

The Batley that thrashed Widnes v the Batley that got hammered by London

The London that got hammered by Fax and Bradford v the London that won at Batley and Widnes

The Widnes that got thrashed by Batley, Toulouse and York v the Widnes that gave Fev a fright (in the 1895 Cup)

The Sheffield that thrashed Bradford and beat York v the Sheffield that have been well beaten by several teams since

I know that a lot of these have been largely down to injuries but I can't remember a season where there have been so many wild form swings for so many teams.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

There's a lot of variance in  Championship teams' this year isn't there?

The Bradford that capitulated to Sheffield and Fev v the Bradford that won 6 in a row

The Halifax that lost to Oldham and self-destructed at Bradford v the Fax that has beaten several top 6 challengers by good margins

The Batley that thrashed Widnes v the Batley that got hammered by London

The London that got hammered by Fax and Bradford v the London that won at Batley and Widnes

The Widnes that got thrashed by Batley, Toulouse and York v the Widnes that gave Fev a fright (in the 1895 Cup)

The Sheffield that thrashed Batley and beat York v the Sheffield that have been well beaten by several teams since

I know that a lot of these have been largely down to injuries but I can't remember a season where there have been so many wild form swings for so many teams.

Sheffield 18 v 30 Batley, but I take your general point. Lots of inconsistency this season.

Dewsbury Rams v Featherstone Rovers KO 15:00
London Broncos v Whitehaven KO 15:00 (OurLeague)
Newcastle Thunder v Oldham KO 15:00
Swinton Lions v Halifax Panthers KO 15:00
Widnes Vikings v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00 (OurLeague)
York City Knights v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00 (OurLeague)

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 16/06/2021 at 16:36, The Phantom Horseman said:

I wonder how much is down to just not having played for a year too. A number of teams look to have started out pretty rusty and got better. Halifax look miles better than they did in the opening weeks, so do Bradford. The Widnes that lost to London & Fev in the last two weeks would've put 60+ points past the Widnes that lost to Dewsbury a couple of months back - one of the worst performances by a Widnes team in decades IMO. York & Fev look like they still have scope to get better as the season goes on. That's why I think it's too early to be saying Swinton are relegated - they have a good coach and good players and will improve.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just looked at Batley's next 4 games. York Fax Bradford and Toulouse.  If they win two of those I think we can pencil them into the playoffs. 

And if they lose them all, what then?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think London will get more than the Dewsbury game as the 4 games for £60 was a good deal and one we have taken (3 of us).. I also know a couple of other small groups who also have taken up the offer..

However will get to 500, don't think so, but 350 to 400 should be dooable which would be another 100 fans on top of the dewsbury game...

I don't think they will hit 500 until York game, but could be wrong.  But tomorrow will be our first game attending so will report back on how it goes... Can't see London losing this one, but I also do not underestimate Haven at all, and I think the score could be a lot closer than people think

57 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

How many do you think you can get at Wimbledon when you play there? 

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure mate, I am not a fan of the move 

For a minute there i thought you were replacing Rafa Nadal BB 😂

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

As much as I am no fan of London I think we all want the Broncos to be successful . My worry is the amount of rent Broncos are paying for everything they use and how much they need to make to break even.

The worry ain't the money it costs..... It's the worry that Hughes will bail 

14 hours ago, crashmon said:

I think London will get more than the Dewsbury game as the 4 games for £60 was a good deal and one we have taken (3 of us).. I also know a couple of other small groups who also have taken up the offer..

However will get to 500, don't think so, but 350 to 400 should be dooable which would be another 100 fans on top of the dewsbury game...

I don't think they will hit 500 until York game, but could be wrong.  But tomorrow will be our first game attending so will report back on how it goes... Can't see London losing this one, but I also do not underestimate Haven at all, and I think the score could be a lot closer than people think

I agree the summer pass is a good deal particularly as the price of a season ticket has increased significantly this season. I assume season ticket sales will have been down this year. 
Looking at those numbers it just makes it all the more unfathomable why we are moving to somewhere like Wimbledon. Nevertheless I am going to enjoy my last 3 or 4 trips to trailfinders as a Broncos fan! Broncos to win by 24.

Archived