Sun 20 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That ref obviously working by NRL pacifist interpretations 

I don't think Thaler actually saw it - touch judge plus the reaction of the Sheffield players (who presumably didn't see it either).

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sprung to his feet after the stretcher came on for him 😂😂

In fairness, if I ran into the back of Adam Lawton, I don't think I'd be getting up too quickly either.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

In fairness, if I ran into the back of Adam Lawton, I don't think I'd be getting up too quickly either.

Same goes for me but just stop after the word ‘  up ‘ 

13 hours ago, crashmon said:

However attendance 😞  was really hoping more people would have taken advantage of the 4 for £60 offer but did not see it... 300 would be my estimate 😞, and considering you could have a ticket for £15, I really don't know where the club can go from here.  

Agree. It feels like the beginning of the end. My guess is a lot of London fans travel a fair distance to watch them and that’s had an impact due to the disruption of COVID. I very much doubt they’ve picked up many local fans even though there is a massive housing estate next door.

I know this is a competitive sport but I would love everyone involved in RL in London to come together and try to work out the best way forward for the game - even if it means focusing on the amateur game. 

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Next year if Broncos arent "adult season ticket with kids free" then what the duck are they doing?

Out of interest I checked out what Ealing rugby union do - they are a direct and exact comparison (second tier in their code). Under 16s go FREE! 

Newcastle Thunder and Fev are £5 for kids, York is free 

I repeat there were virtually no kids/families at the ground yesterday and attendances have collapsed - coincidence? I very very nearly didn't go because of it as I had planned on bringing my kids. How many others decided the other way? 

Going to do some serious thinking this week before the next game. Like so many other long term Broncos fans I'm thinking of jacking it in - might increase my number of games at Skolars. Broncos seem to not want any fans

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

Agree. It feels like the beginning of the end. My guess is a lot of London fans travel a fair distance to watch them and that’s had an impact due to the disruption of COVID. I very much doubt they’ve picked up many local fans even though there is a massive housing estate 

I know this is a competitive sport but I would love everyone involved in RL in London to come together and try to work out the best way forward for the game - even if it means focusing on the amateur game. 

You might be right. We can focus on being an amateur powerhouse and jack the pro team idea

I always enjoy watching Hemel etc play anyway so that might be me going forward 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You might be right. We can focus on being an amateur powerhouse and jack the pro team idea

I always enjoy watching Hemel etc play anyway so that might be me going forward 

It would be a real shame to lose London as a professional club. 

27 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

It would be a real shame to lose London as a professional club. 

It would be but I now accept it is near the end. Certainly as a full time club with proper support. 300 yesterday and of course large amounts of those will be player's families/WAGs/mates. My local union club had easily that number for the first few games back watching the seconds

How many were true paying fans? Of those most were middle aged/older men by themselves or with other middle aged/older men. No families and crucially no kids running about 

This is after being starved of the oppurtinity to watch live sport for 16 months....

12 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I'm one of the missing dads and lads.

Watching on ouRLeague, I think the Broncos are left with around 150 fans - vast majority white, male and over 50. Sad thing is, I think they like it that way.

As am I.

I couldn't even be arsed watching my team on Our League.

The endless moves and lack of consistent promotion of the sport in Londonand building roots locally has to take its toll. The Bronco's experiment is at tipping point. After all the venue changes there is no way a move to Wimbledon without a huge amount of effort - which there won't be - will change anything.

Makes me wonder what Skolars could have achieved with a little more investment or for that matter, the fact that we both have the same active number of fans and we achieved that with a fraction of the investment.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It would be but I now accept it is near the end. Certainly as a full time club with proper support. 300 yesterday and of course large amounts of those will be player's families/WAGs/mates. My local union club had easily that number for the first few games back watching the seconds

How many were true paying fans? Of those most were middle aged/older men by themselves or with other middle aged/older men. No families and crucially no kids running about 

This is after being starved of the oppurtinity to watch live sport for 16 months....

Sadly BB I agree and also what Archie Gordon said white over 50 (And thats being generous) its so sad to see the club who are doing a brilliant job at academy level with so few fans it seems like an old fart UKIP meeting:( (Not that I have ever or would attend one:) 

Solution IMHO for what its worth.

* Ditch Wimbledon it isn't going work would love to see it but I just cannot 

* Sign a new long term lease at either Ealing/Harlequins or Richmond 

* Bring in a full on London based commission only marketing company to increase awareness (There is nothing like a results only business) London has some fantastic events companies who I am certain would take a punt on it 

The club needs to prepare for life without David Hughes down the line a decent Championship club with a chance of making the play offs can easily be run on a budget of 1 million a season which in the London market is peanuts.

On a playing front a combination of academy coming though the ranks and some decent Aussie/kiwi/French imports would do the job it doesn't need to waste money on lads (No disrespect) from traditional RL areas up north who are tied to mums apron strings.The club seems to have stopped looking for wild out of the box talent and there is plenty of it in London.

The RFL having at least 1 or even 2 (Better) Internationals in London a year would do wonders for RL in London and the Broncos.

Paul

London last played Haven just before the Lockdown started (Feb 2020), and attendance was 735.  So in 15 months have lost 435 paying fans (assuming Haven brought same amount of fans). This is what happens when you increase ticket costs by over 100%, and decide to move the club with the weakest squad we have ever had.

I think that says it all from 735 to approx 300 (being generous)

Do I need to apologise for being white and 45 then?

Mind you - as someone who is half middle eastern - I did openly laugh at the taking the knee for diversity.

Tickets are pricey - they have doubled to £20 a game on the season ticket - but I still travel in from Tunbridge Wells to watch with my cousin.

I can't see why true "fans" are that bothered about an extra bit of travel here and there for, realistically including holidays, 10 games a season. All seems like excuses.

I would agree that - with the crowds and no chance of promotion - a move is odd.

Although if there are no crowds then does it really matter where they play?

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Do I need to apologise for being white and 45 then?

Mind you - as someone who is half middle eastern - I did openly laugh at the taking the knee for diversity.

Tickets are pricey - they have doubled to £20 a game on the season ticket - but I still travel in from Tunbridge Wells to watch with my cousin.

I can't see why true "fans" are that bothered about an extra bit of travel here and there for, realistically including holidays, 10 games a season. All seems like excuses.

How long have you been following London Broncos / Crusaders / Harlequins / Fulham ?

15 minutes ago, Leonard said:

4 years. Went to odd game prior to that in Barnet and Harlequins.

So you will have some inkling why 'true' fans are fed up with the umpteenth move over the years with little rationale; a complete dis-attachment to the rank and file; no discernible plan to improve crowds and profile; gradual slide in the quality of the playing squad. It's gone beyond a little bit of extra travel.

I get that - but I don't get it in the sense that if I want to watch RL then that is the option, bar Skolars or amateur.

I spend 6 hours of the day because I enjoy the sport - not sure a move from Ealing to Wimbledon overly bothers me, indeed Wimbledon is far easier to get to and better served by overground and tube lines (Wimbeldon and Tooting areas).

Archived