Sun 20 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Going to stick my neck out and say Newcastle will be playoffs next year.  I think they will win enough extra games this season  (3 or 4) to stay up and with central funding over, they will have the budget to get into the playoff mix. 

• Like 1

Just back from 1st game this season I've seen at Trailfinders (last game I attended was the fev game pre-covid).  First half was probably the worst london performace I have ever seen (and I've seen some hammerings in the past), but 2nd half different game and London running in tries at will, some good tries with good skills as will, and they could have had more, but queue on rack in last 10 mins.

Was lucky was against a team who could not take more advantage of just how bad London was first half, a team like Fev or Tolouse / Bradford / Fax / York would have put 30+ on us in that first half, but will take the win and lots of positives in 2nd half.

However attendance 😞  was really hoping more people would have taken advantage of the 4 for £60 offer but did not see it... 300 would be my estimate 😞, and considering you could have a ticket for £15, I really don't know where the club can go from here.  

15 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Just back from 1st game this season I've seen at Trailfinders (last game I attended was the fev game pre-covid).  First half was probably the worst london performace I have ever seen (and I've seen some hammerings in the past), but 2nd half different game and London running in tries at will, some good tries with good skills as will, and they could have had more, but queue on rack in last 10 mins.

Was lucky was against a team who could not take more advantage of just how bad London was first half, a team like Fev or Tolouse / Bradford / Fax / York would have put 30+ on us in that first half, but will take the win and lots of positives in 2nd half.

However attendance 😞  was really hoping more people would have taken advantage of the 4 for £60 offer but did not see it... 300 would be my estimate 😞, and considering you could have a ticket for £15, I really don't know where the club can go from here.  

Yeah I reckoned 300.i It felt flat though decent noise at times I also noticed there were virtually no kids. Hardly surprising it is now £15 for any kids over 5. That is why mine didn't come with our group today

First half we just kept choosing bad options, countless lunges for the line that weren't on, passes near ankles and at times on the right we didn't concentrate, why did Lovell kick on the second? 

Second half great fun though. The full timeness came through and we dominated their pack. Despite their fans moaning the ref was decent

Anyone know why there was no stall selling merch? I was going to buy a cap and a shirt

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Sounds like a good game at York. Im surprised they got so close to Batley but maybe even though its a loss this could kick start their season showing they can compete with the top teams.

Batley V fax next week the big one and might be an indicator to see if Fax have improved from when Batley hammered us in the cup at the start of the season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I'll say again. Why on earth are kids over five a £15 ticket? It was noticeable the usual 'dad's with lads' was not there

No family ticket even??

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'll say again. Why on earth are kids over five a £15 ticket? It was noticeable the usual 'dad's with lads' was not there

No family ticket even??

We are a different type of group (2 adults + one senior), so we don't bring kids so I did not even know that they are charging that anount for kids.  But yes I saw very few families today, and very few kids. 15GBP is alot for kids over 5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Widnes 30 Sheffield 20 FT.

Much better second half, both teams definitely stepped up a gear.

Adam Lawton sent off after the hooter for an off-the-ball tackle. Sheffield score a try in the corner from the resulting penalty.

The sending off 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That ref obviously working by NRL pacifist interpretations 

I don't think Thaler actually saw it - touch judge plus the reaction of the Sheffield players (who presumably didn't see it either).

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sprung to his feet after the stretcher came on for him 😂😂

In fairness, if I ran into the back of Adam Lawton, I don't think I'd be getting up too quickly either.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonM said:

In fairness, if I ran into the back of Adam Lawton, I don't think I'd be getting up too quickly either.

Same goes for me but just stop after the word ‘  up ‘ 

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No family ticket even??

Next year if Broncos arent "adult season ticket with kids free" then what the duck are they doing?

13 hours ago, crashmon said:

Agree. It feels like the beginning of the end. My guess is a lot of London fans travel a fair distance to watch them and that’s had an impact due to the disruption of COVID. I very much doubt they’ve picked up many local fans even though there is a massive housing estate next door.

I know this is a competitive sport but I would love everyone involved in RL in London to come together and try to work out the best way forward for the game - even if it means focusing on the amateur game. 

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Next year if Broncos arent "adult season ticket with kids free" then what the duck are they doing?

Out of interest I checked out what Ealing rugby union do - they are a direct and exact comparison (second tier in their code). Under 16s go FREE! 

Newcastle Thunder and Fev are £5 for kids, York is free 

I repeat there were virtually no kids/families at the ground yesterday and attendances have collapsed - coincidence? I very very nearly didn't go because of it as I had planned on bringing my kids. How many others decided the other way? 

Going to do some serious thinking this week before the next game. Like so many other long term Broncos fans I'm thinking of jacking it in - might increase my number of games at Skolars. Broncos seem to not want any fans

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

Agree. It feels like the beginning of the end. My guess is a lot of London fans travel a fair distance to watch them and that’s had an impact due to the disruption of COVID. I very much doubt they’ve picked up many local fans even though there is a massive housing estate 

I know this is a competitive sport but I would love everyone involved in RL in London to come together and try to work out the best way forward for the game - even if it means focusing on the amateur game. 

You might be right. We can focus on being an amateur powerhouse and jack the pro team idea

I always enjoy watching Hemel etc play anyway so that might be me going forward 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You might be right. We can focus on being an amateur powerhouse and jack the pro team idea

I always enjoy watching Hemel etc play anyway so that might be me going forward 

It would be a real shame to lose London as a professional club. 

• Like 1

I'm one of the missing dads and lads.

Watching on ouRLeague, I think the Broncos are left with around 150 fans - vast majority white, male and over 50. Sad thing is, I think they like it that way.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

It would be a real shame to lose London as a professional club. 

It would be but I now accept it is near the end. Certainly as a full time club with proper support. 300 yesterday and of course large amounts of those will be player's families/WAGs/mates. My local union club had easily that number for the first few games back watching the seconds

How many were true paying fans? Of those most were middle aged/older men by themselves or with other middle aged/older men. No families and crucially no kids running about 

This is after being starved of the oppurtinity to watch live sport for 16 months....

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco