NRL Match Thread - Round 15 - 2021

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Are you asking in what way a ridiculous ruling that reduces one team by one player ruins the contest?

The 10 minutes following the ruling featured some mesmerizingly exciting play, and the score at the end of that period was 20-12. That`s neither ruining the spectacle nor the contest.

Whether some of these high shot calls are reasonable is a different matter.

In general the crackdown just makes it a bit harder to legally complete a defensive set. When a team can`t manage it, they have to defend with 12 players for 10 minutes. Depending on circumstances, that`s as likely to enhance the spectacle and open up the contest.

As usual, you see everything in RL through a negative prism. 

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The 10 minutes following the ruling featured some mesmerizingly exciting play, and the score at the end of that period was 20-12. That`s neither ruining the spectacle nor the contest.

Whether some of these high shot calls are reasonable is a different matter.

In general the crackdown just makes it a bit harder to legally complete a defensive set. When a team can`t manage it, they have to defend with 12 players for 10 minutes. Depending on circumstances, that`s as likely to enhance the spectacle and open up the contest.

As usual, you see everything in RL through a negative prism. 

There were 14 points scored whilst he was sin binned, but that’s beside the point for you isn’t it? You simply love to disagree with me don’t you. It’s more than a hobby, it’s like a sport to you. You thrive on it. 

I thought the Cowboys - Sharks game was a good watch , and Penrith back to full strength just got back in their groove . Once they get into their stride they’re a juggernaut to stop . But really , two instances I found really irritating and quite depressing . The Reece Robson yellow card where Tolman basically tunnelled into a tackle at knee height … I mean what’s the bloke meant to do ? That is plain ridiculous , so there’s no such thing as an accident now ? The clampdown has removed all nuance , common sense and empathy with the game and is fast becoming counter productive in some ways . You’re even being encouraged to tackle low , and you’ve no idea what the ball carrier will do in a split second before contact . But you still get penalised and binned - you’ve literally done noting wrong .My initial thought was Tolman may have even did that to get some high contact as the Sharks we’re going nowhere then. I like Tolman so I’m not saying that , it was just a perception but who knows nowadays ? The Taukeiaho one , again what can a player do , especially in those conditions players will slip . So there are no accidents now in rugby league , officially ? It looks just awful and that had a material bearing on the game . I feel sorry for officials they’re having to implement rules without any common sense that they probably know are total rubbish , and all the knowledge of the game they’ve garnered over the years means nothing . You will robotically do this … end of . Stuff happens in a sport like rugby league , no amount of zero tolerance crackdowns will change that , but it will ruin the spectacle and nature of the game 

34 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

There were 14 points scored whilst he was sin binned, but that’s beside the point for you isn’t it? You simply love to disagree with me don’t you. It’s more than a hobby, it’s like a sport to you. You thrive on it. 

I`ve agreed with many points you`ve made on this forum and reacted or said so accordingly.

In this instance, I`m challenging your view of what "ruins the spectacle and the contest" of a RL game.

It`s worth comparing this year`s NRL with 2018. The final ladder had 2 points between 1st (Roosters 34) and 8th (Warriors 32). Parra took the wooden spoon on 14. And from memory, the tighter ladder was reflected in many more tighter games. There were far fewer lop-sided scores.

So by your reckoning, that year ought to have prompted an explosion of joy and celebration.

What it actually lead to was acres of carping in the media and on message-boards that too many teams were of the same standard. The salary cap was stifling progress, preventing clubs from building elite teams who could play the sort of spectacular attacking football that would blow the opposition off the park and excite audiences. Close low-scoring games were boring. Viewers were turning off in droves.

So it seems that some people will talk the game down, whatever the outcomes. - They simply love to do it, it`s more than a hobby, like a sport, they thrive on it.

24 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`ve agreed with many points you`ve made on this forum and reacted or said so accordingly.

In this instance, I`m challenging your view of what "ruins the spectacle and the contest" of a RL game.

It`s worth comparing this year`s NRL with 2018. The final ladder had 2 points between 1st (Roosters 34) and 8th (Warriors 32). Parra took the wooden spoon on 14. And from memory, the tighter ladder was reflected in many more tighter games. There were far fewer lop-sided scores.

So by your reckoning, that year ought to have prompted an explosion of joy and celebration.

What it actually lead to was acres of carping in the media and on message-boards that too many teams were of the same standard. The salary cap was stifling progress, preventing clubs from building elite teams who could play the sort of spectacular attacking football that would blow the opposition off the park and excite audiences. Close low-scoring games were boring. Viewers were turning off in droves.

So it seems that some people will talk the game down, whatever the outcomes. - They simply love to do it, it`s more than a hobby, like a sport, they thrive on it.

But that is simply untrue isn’t it? Just like your claim that the Panthers scored just 8 points during the sin bin period tonight.

That 2018 season was heralded by myself and any RL fan I know for its closeness. The race for the top 4 in the final weeks of the regular season was enthralling. I recall no such negativity and only praise. 

TV audiences were up and had eclipsed the AFL audiences for the first time since 2010, so no, people were not turning off in droves and it is nonsense to say that they were because the competition was too close.

For a moment, you had me thinking, am I the only one that thinks these high tackle rulings are a problem. Well no I didn’t actually, I remembered the scores of similar opinions in the press, forums and socials that agree with me. Just like DavidM does in his post directly above yours.

Not that any of this makes me right, it just means my opinion is not that of a small minority that you think is persistently negative about the game.

25 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I recall no such negativity and only praise. 

TV audiences were up and had eclipsed the AFL audiences for the first time since 2010, so no, people were not turning off in droves and it is nonsense to say that they were because the competition was too close.

Again you`re misreading that paragraph. I was detailing what I read in the media and on message boards. And there was a lot of it. The style of play in particular was under sustained attack. Some miserabilists also claimed refs were making calls to ensure games were closer.

31 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

For a moment, you had me thinking, am I the only one that thinks these high tackle rulings are a problem.

I did say the high shot rulings were a separate matter.

For what it`s worth, I think some of them are intrinsically a problem. 

This all reminds me of a similar blitz we had over here in the early 90s, which involved a mandatory 8 match ban for a send-off. It made little difference to the number of high tackles, but did result in some of the best players in our league spending protracted periods on the sidelines. Needless to say after a few months the RFL backed off, and after a further few months we`d forgotten the whole thing.

fa3q8fa67e57rfhng6ke.gif          4fq08jf7yneojbjom2at.gif

Knights: 3. Kurt Mann 2. Dominic Young 4. Enari Tuala 12. Brodie Jones 5. Hymel Hunt 6. Jake Clifford 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Mitchell Barnett 16. Sauaso Sue

14. Connor Watson 15. David Klemmer 17. Jack Johns 18. Josh King.

18th man: 21. Tex Hoy

Warriors: 1. Reece Walsh 2. Marcelo Montoya 4. Euan Aitken 21. Adam Pompey 5. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 6. Kodi Nikorima 7. Sean O’Sullivan 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Jazz Tevaga 10. Ben Murdoch-Masila 11. Bayley Sironen 12. Tohu Harris 13. Josh Curran

14. Eliesa Katoa 15. Leeson Ah Mau 17. Kane Evans 22. Taniela Otukolo.

18th man: 18. Edward Kosi

29min: Lachlan Fitzgibbon try.

Warriors were trapped in their own in-goal after the restart from their try. It's very windy today in Newcastle and nobody wanted to catch the kickoff. Two line dropouts later the Knights scored.

Clifford misses the conversion.

Knights 4 - 6

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I couldn’t separate these two before kick off and it looks like they won’t be separated by much at HT either.

I tipped the Knights mainly because if history teaches us anything, it's this: Don't tip the Warriors.

HT:   Warriors  6    Knights   4

Mixed feelings. No. Never. Not in my lifetime. When Hell freezes over. Not as long as my ass points toward the ground.

No more Balmain club hero connections.

Archived