RFL praises Coventry Bears

48 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I really like what Coventry is doing. Organic, sustainable growth based - first and foremost - on playing the sport, and with no daft plans for world domination.

What's wrong with world domination? 

23 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

What's wrong with world domination? 

I refer to the silly talk from some of our Canadian cousins who mouth off about rivalling Super League within 10 years before they've even got a playing squad together, let alone played a game.

I believe sport is about players and playing the game so I applaud Coventry's growing of grassroots.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I really like what Coventry is doing. Organic, sustainable growth based - first and foremost - on playing the sport, and with no daft plans for world domination.

Little by little and slow and steady growth both on and off the pitch is the way to go for Coventry and any other club for that matter that don’t have a wealthy benefactor.

The really pleasing part of watching the off field growth of teams like the bears and the thunder is that they both see more potential for future growth both within their respective cities and beyond.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Little by little and slow and steady growth both on and off the pitch is the way to go for Coventry and any other club for that matter that don’t have a wealthy benefactor.

The really pleasing part of watching the off field growth of teams like the bears and the thunder is that they both see more potential for future growth both within their respective cities and beyond.

The key point about growing RL in Coventry, Newcastle and London is local playing participation and youth development. It's the cultural glue that holds it all together.

It's been shown time and again that putting a first XIII together and calling it 'Team X' with nothing beneath it does not work long-term in British rugby league.    

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The key point about growing RL in Coventry, Newcastle and London is local playing participation and youth development. It's the cultural glue that holds it all together.

It's been shown time and again that putting a first XIII together and calling it 'Team X' with nothing beneath it does not work long-term in British rugby league.    

What about Salford? 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

They’ve got a first team with nothing beneath it, and they’re doing well enough. 

They're surrounded by community clubs and professional clubs so getting players is much easier for them, although they're struggling to become a top club as they don't have the player development of Wigan, Saints, Leeds etc.

Clubs in development areas need a big emphasis on development so they can become self sufficient 

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

With two major finals in the last two years, better than Leeds, Wigan or Warrington. 

Leeds, wigan and Warrington all have academy and scholarship sides running alongside grassroots development programs.

I’m pretty sure these clubs will be better served in the future than those that don’t have these in place.

55 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Leeds, wigan and Warrington all have academy and scholarship sides running alongside grassroots development programs.

I’m pretty sure these clubs will be better served in the future than those that don’t have these in place.

Agreed, I’m just saying salford have shown it’s possible to succeed with just a first team. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, I’m just saying salford have shown it’s possible to succeed with just a first team. 

They have a development academy, though to be fair it’s not a very productive one.

What Salford has now is a team of rejects that looks likely to be relegated, if not this season then in the next few years.

Archived