Will anyone be able to beat the Kangaroos?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, they won’t. Not in this World Cup, anyway. They’ll win it comfortably. 

if the nsw spine are all fit and willing to take part then i agree- if not there may be a chance of an upset but in reality i fear a record score against us is on the cards- does any one know the biggest winning margin either way?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

if the nsw spine are all fit and willing to take part then i agree- if not there may be a chance of an upset but in reality i fear a record score against us is on the cards- does any one know the biggest winning margin either way?

Whether it’s the NSW spine or one with a sprinkling of QLD players, they should still be relatively comfortable throughout. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Whether it’s the NSW spine or one with a sprinkling of QLD players, they should still be relatively comfortable throughout. 

yes its just that the tedesco mitchell tom turbo plus the penrith half backs seem to be something out of an rl book of magic spells when combined at the min 

They are obviously nailed on favourites, but they’re not unbeatable on any given day, if everything is in their favour (ie off day for Aus and they play their best game) I think Tonga could beat them, and possibly NZ too. England maybe not but we can hope. 

1 minute ago, Rowan said:

Biggest defeat 62-10 in Sydney. Biggest win (I think) 33-10 in Melbourne. I was at both and I know which one I enjoyed most!

team line ups statto?

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

how will the current tonga team look in comparison to the one that pulled off the shock win back then? 

That’s my main concern. How they’re travelling now compared to 2-3 years ago is an issue, as is the emergence of the Australian players in the likes of Luai, Cleary etc. 

Sorry it was 64-10 in July 2002. when we ere Great Britain: Team: Kris Radlinski, Paul Johnson, Paul Wellens, Keith Senior Karl Pratt, Paul Sculthorpe, Ryan Sheridan, Terry O'Connor, Keiron Cunningham, Barry McDermott. Jamie Peacock, Stuart Fielden, Andy Farrell (c) Subs Martin Gleeson, Terry Newton, Chris Joynt, Kevin Sinfield.  Tries Pratt and Sinfied.

The team in Melbourne in 1992: Steadman, Eastwood, Powell, Newlove, Offiah, Schofield (c), Edwards, Skerrett, Dermott, Platt, Betts, McGinty Clarke. Subs: Connolly, Hulme, Lydon, Harrison.  Tries: Steadman, Newlove, Offiah, Schofield, Clarke Goals Eastwood 6. DG Schofield

Attendance 30,257  Princes Park, Melbourne

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I haven’t read the article because I haven’t got much interest in what Gary Schofield has to say, as great a player as he was, but yes Tonga could beat Australia. 

I haven’t read the article either, I’ve got very little time for Schofield, but of course Tonga  or New Zealand could beat Australia, Tonga beat them recently.

56 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

How often do Australia lose in England? 

Well how often do they play over here. Very few will be used our usually wet and cold October/November weather. Look at GF the best teams win that because they are better in poor conditions. And we will only play them once not twice as in other competitions. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Who knows , that’s sport eh ?

Exactly. All this talk of the NSW spine being invincible is annoying. 

In 2008 the Kangaroo spine was Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith and yet they still lost to New Zealand in the final.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Well how often do they play over here. Very few will be used our usually wet and cold October/November weather. Look at GF the best teams win that because they are better in poor conditions. And we will only play them once not twice as in other competitions. 

They coped absolutely fine in 2009, 2013 and 2016. 

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Exactly. All this talk of the NSW spine being invincible is annoying. 

In 2008 the Kangaroo spine was Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith and yet they still lost to New Zealand in the final.

thats a good point - a very good point indeed

Other teams generally get better and improve as tournaments go on and as they play more games. I see England, NZ, Tonga et al getting much better as they begin to gel. 

Yes Australia will be the team to beat, as always, but I wouldn't go overboard due to one SOO match.

Archived