Will anyone be able to beat the Kangaroos?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s my main concern. How they’re travelling now compared to 2-3 years ago is an issue, as is the emergence of the Australian players in the likes of Luai, Cleary etc. 

I'm sincerely hoping that Luai is partnering Harris-Tevita at half back,with To'o on the wing and Junior Paulo and big Tino upfront. Samoa will be right in the mix

1 minute ago, Route66 said:

I'm sincerely hoping that Luai is partnering Harris-Tevita at half back,with To'o on the wing and Junior Paulo and big Tino upfront. Samoa will be right in the mix

I hope Saints sign Tedesco, Mitchell, Cleary and Grant but then I wake up. 

6 minutes ago, Route66 said:

If they are England could well lose the first game. That team could even include Marty Taupau and Josh Papalii. 

15 minutes ago, Route66 said:

The good news is that there is bags of talent eligible for the Pacific Islands teams playing. If To'o gets picked for Australia then it means that players like Daniel Tupou plays for Tonga (or vice versa).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think a point not referenced enough is the rules being played … likely to massively favour any teams with predominately NRL based players. Captains challenge as an example is something that SL has never used … and we’re still not back on scrums … there’s a few that favour them from memory.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

I haven’t read the article because I haven’t got much interest in what Gary Schofield has to say, as great a player as he was, but yes Tonga could beat Australia. 

What i was about to say, can see england under wane being able to as well

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

If they are England could well lose the first game. That team could even include Marty Taupau and Josh Papalii. 

On paper Samoa could field a team that would comfortably beat England with RTS and NAS as well.

Big Nelson has said he's playing for NZ though and RTS is off to yawnion.

new rise.jpg

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s my main concern. How they’re travelling now compared to 2-3 years ago is an issue, as is the emergence of the Australian players in the likes of Luai, Cleary etc. 

I think is going to be in a better position compared to last WC. Some of their older heads have retired or lost form in Sika Manu and Andrew Fifita but they have a lot of younger talent that's emerged since in guys like Sitili Tupouniua, Keaon Koloamatangi, Mo Fotuaika, Taniela Paseka, etc. Still a problem with spine depth, would've been nice if Manase Fainu behaved better at church dances as he was looking a star at 9.

I still think given how vocal the boys at Penrith have been about representing Samoa, Luai and To'o will line up in blue come the WC irrespective of if they got picked for Aus.

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

On paper Samoa could field a team that would comfortably beat England with RTS and NAS as well.

Big Nelson has said he's playing for NZ though and RTS is off to yawnion.

England have won 8 out of their last 10 games including defeating Tonga, winning 3 out of 4 against New Zealand (with the only loss after the series was already won) and were World Cup finalists last time out.

But sure, at home we would be 'comfortably' beaten by Samoa.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

England have won 8 out of their last 10 games including defeating Tonga, winning 3 out of 4 against New Zealand (with the only loss after the series was already won) and were World Cup finalists last time out.

But sure, at home we would be 'comfortably' beaten by Samoa.

Tbf, that Samoan team is a work of fiction.

Don't forget GB going winless on tour.

new rise.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Tbf, that Samoan team is a work of fiction.

Don't forget GB going winless on tour.

I can never forget that tour (unfortunately).

I think that England vs. Samoa will be a great game and depending on the sides put out one or the other could be favourites (I think home advantage will count though).  But I don't think either team is beating the other comfortably and that is the best thing about this up coming world cup.

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think that England vs. Samoa will be a great game and depending on the sides put out one or the other could be favourites (I think home advantage will count though).  But I don't think either team is beating the other comfortably and that is the best thing about this up coming world cup.

I agree it is a toss up game. However, if England lose it is potential double trouble as they would face Tonga then in the QF before possibly Samoa again in the SF.

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I 100% agree with you.

I'd love to see the very best Samoa but it won't be anywhere near it.

new rise.jpg

20 hours ago, Rowan said:

Biggest defeat 62-10 in Sydney. Biggest win (I think) 33-10 in Melbourne. I was at both and I know which one I enjoyed most!

I was at both games too. In Melbourne it was a cold wet night and Gt Britain took advantage of the conditions with Andy Platt MOM but captain Schofield was not far behind. Shawn Edwards played his first match against Aus behind a dominant all Wigan pack as Andy Gregory was injured together with Ellery Hanley. Mal Reilly was coach against Bobby Fulton for Aus.

As for the the biggest win I would go for the 40-17 win at the SCG in 1958. The same 23 point margin but we won the Ashes series 3-0. I was then living in England and attended all the matches Those were the days!

Tour captain Ellery Hanley played just 17 minutes of that tour. He was injured when the party travelled and was re-injured in the midweek game against Newcastle. Schofield, the one some folk on here think knows nothing about the game, took over as captain and did have a great game that night. As you say, those were the days but since then we have introduced Super League in the hope of seeing off the Aussies. We're still waiting.

I think there are genuinely 5 teams that could reach the Final in this tournament, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa and England. While Australia will be favourites against whoever they face anyone of those sides could beat them.

We’ve had some big RL upsets in Internationals recently, Tonga have beat Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain, Fiji have beaten New Zealand, PNG have beaten Great Britain.

I’m sure one of the so called Tier One Nations will lose to a Tier Two Nation at some point in this tournament.

On 17/06/2021 at 16:37, Hela Wigmen said:

No, they won’t. Not in this World Cup, anyway. They’ll win it comfortably. 

Why are you so confident Australia won’t lose a game? Take a look at these 2 score lines from their recent (in International terms) games. They are the favourites but they are beatable.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/new-zealand-vs-australia/50109

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/australia-vs-tonga/52448

Australia's best 17 are well ahead of the rest and they should be odds-on favourites.

However, many of that best 17 only have a handful of caps and have not won a big tournament game of any note. Clutching at straws maybe but it could mean they slip up at the business end. 

10 years ago there were only 3 teams capable of reaching a World Cup Final, Australia, England and New Zealand.

The same 3 teams are still ahead of the others but Tonga have shown they’re capable of a shock result and hijacking someone in a semi final.

Not far behind Tonga we also have Samoa, Fiji & PNG who have made huge strides forward in terms of depth, quality, skills and experience.

If France get their act together they certainly have the depth, skills and experience to be alongside Samoa etc...

Its feasible that if one of the big three has issues or just plays poorly they could be beaten by one of the 2nd tier countries.

I think Tonga are the second best team but are the most vulnerable to depth issues particularly in the spine where their first choice players need to get close to the level they did in the win over Australia on a consistent basis if they are to win the whole competition.

On 17/06/2021 at 16:37, Hela Wigmen said:

No, they won’t. Not in this World Cup, anyway. They’ll win it comfortably. 

I've said this before the biggest challenge the Kangaroos will have is complacency. 

If they treat it like an extended holiday and booze it up we or NZ might shock them

Cleary, Turbo and a few others have a bit of form for naughty-ish stuff. Let's issue them with £3k of pub vouchers each on arrival at the airport

Archived