Bentley to Leeds

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2021/06/18/leeds-rhinos-secure-bentley-on-two-year-deal/

Bentley to Leeds on a two year deal. 

When he first broke through at Saints, I thought he was too small for the modern game but this lad leaves nothing out on the field, he has been exceptional.

Sad to see him go but you can’t knock a lad for joining the team he has supported all his life. Hope he recovers well from his injury and continues to develop.

Good luck to him. 

Leeds have doubled his money and Saints won’t be held to ransom. After a bit of a breakthrough year, he was wanting a large increase which we weren’t prepared to offer. I suppose it’s the salary cap and a sustained period of success come into effect and players on middling contracts want a big increase, as is the case with Fages, too, and it’s up to Saints to decide what they can do and what they can’t. 

His numbers defensively are very good, a few too many penalties conceded at times but he’s still young and has only had a year or two playing at the top level. Attacking wise, they’re not as good and it’s certainly an area he needs to/will improve. 

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Disappointed by this; he’s a really good talent. Far from the finished article though. So not devastated as I don’t think he’ll develop as well in the current Leeds set up.

The current Leeds set up under Agar is all about bringing young players through so I think he'll do nicely.

41 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Good luck to him. 

Leeds have doubled his money and Saints won’t be held to ransom. After a bit of a breakthrough year, he was wanting a large increase which we weren’t prepared to offer. I suppose it’s the salary cap and a sustained period of success come into effect and players on middling contracts want a big increase, as is the case with Fages, too, and it’s up to Saints to decide what they can do and what they can’t. 

His numbers defensively are very good, a few too many penalties conceded at times but he’s still young and has only had a year or two playing at the top level. Attacking wise, they’re not as good and it’s certainly an area he needs to/will improve. 

I don't know about doubling his money but Saints certainly intimated that Leeds offered significantly more than what they were prepared to pay him.

As you said defensively he's been great but there are still plenty of aspects of his game that he can improve on in terms of his attack and his temperament. I understand him wanting to go to his hometown club and taking the big money on offer, just not sure Leeds / Agar is the best place for him to develop to his potential. I think his game is actually quite well suited to the NRL and he should have tried his luck there first before going to somewhere like Leeds.

Saints have got 2 pretty good young 2nd rowers coming through in Jake Wingfield and Matty Foster. Foster in particular I think will come to the fore in the next few years, he's very much in the Bentley mould, very aggressive in the tackle and leaves nothing in the tank.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

11 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I don't know about doubling his money but Saints certainly intimated that Leeds offered significantly more than what they were prepared to pay him.

As you said defensively he's been great but there are still plenty of aspects of his game that he can improve on in terms of his attack and his temperament. I understand him wanting to go to his hometown club and taking the big money on offer, just not sure Leeds / Agar is the best place for him to develop to his potential. I think his game is actually quite well suited to the NRL and he should have tried his luck there first before going to somewhere like Leeds.

Saints have got 2 pretty good young 2nd rowers coming through in Jake Wingfield and Matty Foster. Foster in particular I think will come to the fore in the next few years, he's very much in the Bentley mould, very aggressive in the tackle and leaves nothing in the tank.

I’ve been told they’ve doubled his money, whereas we offered a significant increase but wouldn’t stretch to what Leeds offered, which I’m fine with. 

Top signing for Leeds, we will miss him. He's an 80 minute player which is rare for a second rower. Plenty of development still in his game, especially in his attacking game. If Leeds can harness that, he will get even better.

Can't hold it against him at all, the pull of signing for your team is very difficult to resist. Hope he goes well.

2 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2021/06/18/leeds-rhinos-secure-bentley-on-two-year-deal/

Bentley to Leeds on a two year deal. 

When he first broke through at Saints, I thought he was too small for the modern game but this lad leaves nothing out on the field, he has been exceptional.

Sad to see him go but you can’t knock a lad for joining the team he has supported all his life. Hope he recovers well from his injury and continues to develop.

Interesting thought when he was captain of FEV's scholarship and academy before RFL told FEV to scrap THEM he was a hooker or number 9 as it's now known

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

I don't get why Saints fans are saying this stuff about Agar despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Don't want to get over my skis too much but I'm pretty confident that the young, British Leeds pack that's been assembled, assuming it can keep clear of injury, will be pretty much the best in the league in a couple of years.

21 minutes ago, POR said:

Interesting thought when he was captain of FEV's scholarship and academy before RFL told FEV to scrap THEM he was a hooker or number 9 as it's now known

Saints gave him a few run-outs at 9 but he's not a great hooker. His speed of passing off the ground and passing accuracy just weren't up to scratch, but he was defensively very sound in the middle.

19 minutes ago, POR said:

The academy situation is disgraceful IMHO.

Bentley covered at 9 (mostly if not always from the bench.) He also covered in the centres but wasn’t convincingly. He is a strong runner of the ball, absolute workhorse in defence and is best suited at second row. I like him and I am disappointed that he is going but in a salary capped sport in particular every player has their value. Saints didn’t believe he was worth what he wanted, Leeds did.  Not going to get into calling another club (on this occasion 😊), he has the opportunity to earn what he thinks he is worth at a club he supports, good luck to him and the Rhinos. 

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

I don't get why Saints fans are saying this stuff about Agar despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Don't want to get over my skis too much but I'm pretty confident that the young, British Leeds pack that's been assembled, assuming it can keep clear of injury, will be pretty much the best in the league in a couple of years.

Probably a little bit tinged with disappointment he is going. Reality is he is a good young player and the Rhinos pack is developing really well, he will only add to that. 

The main concern for Bentley and Leeds is that he recovers well from injury. 

Leeds didn’t have their best year last time out but still took out the Challenge Cup. If they can get the right quality in the experience they bring in in other positions then there is no reason why they can’t be challenging again. 

12 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Leeds didn’t have their best year last time out but still took out the Challenge Cup. If they can get the right quality in the experience they bring in in other positions then there is no reason why they can’t be challenging again. 

The half backs are the main challenge, the pack even this year has shown itself as competitive which can only get moreso if the young players continue their current trajectory. Gale won't be around that much longer which means we'll need to find a long-term solution to both positions from somewhere.

Maybe Jack Sinfield will be part of the answer at some stage if he sticks around.

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

The half backs are the main challenge, the pack even this year has shown itself as competitive which can only get moreso if the young players continue their current trajectory. Gale won't be around that much longer which means we'll need to find a long-term solution to both positions from somewhere.

Maybe Jack Sinfield will be part of the answer at some stage if he sticks around.

What do you think of the situation at 9? I can’t see Leeming or Dwyer staying as bit part players. I think they both have real qualities, do you see either capable of a positional change if a young 9 comes through. Rightly or wrongly, I was more concerned when Leeds seemed to move Leeming to 1/2 at some point in the Challenge Cup game, is that an option with a strong experienced half? 

I think the Saints top brass are a little miffed that he's leaving them for a club currently quite far off being at Saints' level.   I'm not convinced of the money rumours, that's usually sewing circle talk but Bentley seems excited and quite openly admits he wants to "join the club I've always dreamt of playing for".   If he's being genuine then I actually think that bucks the trend of recent transfers.   He almost certainly won't be as successful in the short-term but he might be happier at work, which is really what it's all about.

9 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

What do you think of the situation at 9? I can’t see Leeming or Dwyer staying as bit part players. I think they both have real qualities, do you see either capable of a positional change if a young 9 comes through. Rightly or wrongly, I was more concerned when Leeds seemed to move Leeming to 1/2 at some point in the Challenge Cup game, is that an option with a strong experienced half? 

Leeming/Dwyer is an ok combination as hookers. I don't think Leeming has quite ended up as good as had been hoped, although there's improvement in him. Dwyer is a great bench player who really can turn a game so is a useful weapon to have. As a starting 9 he's an absolute turkey though. Leeming in the halves - don't think so tbh, although we've not really tried it that much.

55 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Good player but isn’t it always a bit risky signing someone before they’ve recovered from serious injury?

I’m sure that will be factored into the contract he’s been given, Gary Hetherington is a shewed businessman in that way, that’s one of the reasons Leeds have been the most successful club in Super League, along with the fact they produce more professional players than any other club.

35 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’m sure that will be factored into the contract he’s been given, Gary Hetherington is a shewed businessman in that way, that’s one of the reasons Leeds have been the most successful club in Super League, along with the fact they produce more professional players than any other club.

Yawn - here we go again 

If your that great at producing them why do you have to sign so many ? Its only a few weeks ago you were trying to sign a certain young half back from Cas. Surely you can produce 1 decent one of your own if you produce that many ?? 

2 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

😂 I always thought I would find him annoying if he played elsewhere. He’s that kind of player isn’t he? 

I loved watching LMS when he was at the Broncos and when he played for Ireland in the World Cup it reminded me of how entertaining he is as a player. If only he hadn’t sold his soul...

Archived