England squad

The England squad for the Combined Nations game has been named

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie (all Warrington Wolves), Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors), Luke Gale, Ash Handley (both Leeds Rhinos), Toby King (Warrington Wolves), Morgan Knowles (St Helens), Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity), Jonny Lomax (St Helens), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos), Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves), Dan Sarginson (Salford Red Devils), Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Jake Wardle (Huddersfield Giants), Joe Westerman (Wakefield Trinity), George Williams (Free agent).

Personally I would line up like this

1. Tomkins

2. Makinson

3. King

4. Wardle

5. Davies

6. Lomax

7. Gale

8. Walmsley

9. Clark

10. Oledzki

11. Bateman

12. Currie

13. Knowles

14. McShane

15. Cooper

16. Philbin

17. Ratchford

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect Wane will go with Gale but I'd like to see what hooker-half McShane could do with Williams, Lomax and Tomkins in the spine (given Williams and Lomax are more stand-offs than scrum-halves).

A smarter player than Clark, who's essentially a scoot merchant. 

1 minute ago, Southerner said:

I’m astonished no Hardaker or Widdop.

Not sure you can make a competitive team from that lot unfortunately. 

Suggests Widdop is off to Australia (but could still be in the squad come the World Cup, of course).

Not sure what happened with Hardaker. Maybe the head butt on Samkins did for him. 

2 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Weakest squad we’ve had in a long while.

Bear in mind there’s no NRL players in it. But to some extent I agree, McGillvary, Handley and Lyne are not international standard at the moment 

4 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I’m astonished no Hardaker or Widdop.

Not sure you can make a competitive team from that lot unfortunately. 

If Widdop isn't off, it could be a political thing with Warrington wanting Widdop for the Thursday night game vs Leigh. He really should be in the squad on form and class.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If Widdop isn't off, it could be a political thing with Warrington wanting Widdop for the Thursday night game vs Leigh. He really should be in the squad on form and class.

Well he should be ahead of Gale for sure 

28 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

No Roby, hopefully not playing him to keep the number of games he plays this season down.

Come the WC it should be Roby and Clarke all day long.

You would think so yes. Roby has nothing to prove internationally. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I see the BBC have just announced that the ‘unattached fly-half George Williams’ is in the squad … come on BBC, you can do better than that.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I see that Wane's much-predicted pro-Wigan bias has raised its ugly head. :kolobok_unsure:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived