England squad

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Southerner said:

I’m astonished no Hardaker or Widdop.

Not sure you can make a competitive team from that lot unfortunately. 

Hardaker cannot play because of his suspension makes him unavailable. 

There may be limitations on having abilability of numbers per club.  Presumably this had to be agreed between coaches.  So may be Widdop for what every reason missed out.

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I had a similar thought the other day. He's done.

Not in the league.  He may be at Leigh next season

I'd like to see how McShane goes.

I'd also like to see how Widdop and Williams go as well, but ...

How does the covid within the Leeds camp affect the team selection?  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Not in the league.  He may be at Leigh next season

I'd like to see how McShane goes.

I'd also like to see how Widdop and Williams go as well, but ...

Roby won’t go elsewhere. He’ll finish at Saints and walk away from the sport, he’s got his fingers in a few business ventures with his wife away from the game, playing part time almost certainly won’t be for him. 

Looking at the England squad, the make up of the six player availability rule they’ve brought in, the Combined Nations team can pick from the following clubs. 

Wigan - 4 players. 
Warrington - 0. 
Catalans - 4. 
Leeds - 3. 
Saints - 2. 
Wakefield - 4. 
Catalans - 5. 
Salford - 5. 
Huddersfield - 4. 
Hull FC - 6. 
Hull KR - 6. 
Cas - 6. 

I’m expecting a heavy Hull FC influence on the CN team. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Roby won’t go elsewhere. He’ll finish at Saints and walk away from the sport, he’s got his fingers in a few business ventures with his wife away from the game, playing part time almost certainly won’t be for him. 

I'm just being a bit droll.

On a related matter about the concept.   It's a pity that an official club cannot be created to play appropriate matches (at whatever level) and organise charity events... and promote fellowship.    It could build up an ethos so that at 1st grade level there is a point to games like this one.

Personally however, irrespective of anything, I'd like to see our own version (of some sort) of State of Origin.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Looking at the England squad, the make up of the six player availability rule they’ve brought in, the Combined Nations team can pick from the following clubs. 

Wigan - 4 players. 
Warrington - 0. 
Catalans - 4. 
Leeds - 3. 
Saints - 2. 
Wakefield - 4. 
Catalans - 5
Salford - 5. 
Huddersfield - 4. 
Hull FC - 6. 
Hull KR - 6. 
Cas - 6. 

I’m expecting a heavy Hull FC influence on the CN team. 

Catalans doing a lot of the heavy lifting then

I haven't studied the England squad in detail, but I am guessing that the Catalans 5 should be Cas, and the Cas 6 should be Leigh.

29 minutes ago, Southport Tiger said:

Catalans doing a lot of the heavy lifting then

I haven't studied the England squad in detail, but I am guessing that the Catalans 5 should be Cas, and the Cas 6 should be Leigh.

Yeah, you’re right. I’d wrote it on a piece of scrap paper when sat on a company meeting so have messed it up. 

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I know, he’s still finished right now. He’s literally just a pair of hands. I can’t see him playing at the World Cup at all. 

Yep you must be correct - a washed up player who captins the best team in SL, is arguably the best player in the best team in SL and is in the current England squad.... I wish I was as washed up as he apparently is.

9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep you must be correct - a washed up player who captins the best team in SL, is arguably the best player in the best team in SL and is in the current England squad.... I wish I was as washed up as he apparently is.

I watch him week in, week out. The last couple of years have really taken it out of him and the general consensus is this year is probably one too many. 

You’ll never be in a position to be washed up. Mainly because you get offended that people have different opinions to you. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I watch him week in, week out. The last couple of years have really taken it out of him and the general consensus is this year is probably one too many. 

You’ll never be in a position to be washed up. Mainly because you get offended that people have different opinions to you. 

Thats your opinion.... but its wrong.

1 hour ago, TBone said:

A rag tag bunch of players brought that meet up in a pup just before the game to decide who plays in what position.

Will the best player in the game get the pup to take home with them as a prize?

On 18/06/2021 at 11:12, Southerner said:

I’m astonished no Hardaker or Widdop.

Not sure you can make a competitive team from that lot unfortunately. 

Where would you play Hardacre? Definatley not FB while Tomkins is available, and he is never a centre as long as he has an hole where the sun doesn't shine.

On 18/06/2021 at 11:17, DoubleD said:

Bear in mind there’s no NRL players in it. But to some extent I agree, McGillvary, Handley and Lyne are not international standard at the moment 

Hi DD, the highlighted bit is very subjective, what is international standard?

Judging by the player's in our squad and so obviously deemed by the selector to be of international standard, if the same standard was applied to the NRL they would have hundreds of player's available, somehow I consider that the benchmark for the 'international standard' down under will be a lot higher than ours.

On 18/06/2021 at 11:17, DoubleD said:

Bear in mind there’s no NRL players in it. But to some extent I agree, McGillvary, Handley and Lyne are not international standard at the moment 

Based on what?

What's "international standard" in your eyes?

Presumably all the other backs meet that criteria then?

1 hour ago, meast said:

Based on what?

What's "international standard" in your eyes?

Presumably all the other backs meet that criteria then?

My opinion. As Harry said, it’s very subjective. None of those players would worry defences of any of the top 4 teams 

4 hours ago, meast said:

That's the spirit 🙂

Well it is less than a week until the game and the ‘Combined Nations All Stars’ (snappy name) has an anounced squad of one player. (or have I missed some announcement?)

2 hours ago, TBone said:

Well it is it is less than a week until the game and the ‘Combined Nations All Stars’ (snappy name) has an anounced squad of one player. (or have I missed some announcement?)

I would imagine they are ringing around after all the drop outs for sure. We are going to end up with some Championship All Stars in the final 17 or lots of young French players.

Given the SL player availability being something like (borrowed from above):

Wigan - 4 players. 
Warrington - 0. 
Catalans - 4. 
Leeds - 3. 
Saints - 2. 
Wakefield - 4. 
Cas- 5
Salford - 5. 
Huddersfield - 4. 
Hull FC - 6. 
Hull KR - 6. 
Leigh - 6. 

Which bright spark organised games for the same night? Difficult for any of  the following to justify releasing players: Hull (keen to get into the playoffs and have a few injured) , Hull KR (taking on Saints), Huddersfield (desperate to win a game), Leeds (also too near the bottom to take any risks with players), Salford (keen to move higher to try an avoid any chance of Leigh catching them) and Saints (already have 3 players on England duty and need a bounce back from the loss to Wire). 

Maybe the RFL has some leverage that can be applied?

Archived