George Williams Not Going Back To Wigan

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Inglis can't be released for space on the cap unless he signs for another club.   And Widdop won't be going this season according to the club (quite right too as he's in a different class to Williams and it shows this year).   The only way to do it would be an immediate move for a big earner such as Austin, which isn't likely to happen   Or (god forbid) an imminent loss of Clark to the NRL, which would negate any signing we could make 😧

Watch this space, not sure if Inglis retired through medical grounds may be a loophole. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Watch this space, not sure if Inglis retired through medical grounds may be a loophole. 

Fair enough. If it’s a ‘special circumstances’ dispensation from the RFL though, stand by for incoming fire on this board! 💣

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

He might get homesick... again... and again.. and again

We’ll if that happens it will have to be a move to Leigh, as they’re closer to Wigan than Warrington. The next time after that I’ve no idea what his options will be? A job in Tesco on the site of the old Central Park?

1 hour ago, TBone said:

Anyone remember Leeds Rhinos v Iestyn Harris?

Star of the cross code thread  and questionable contract negotiations ?

No.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

A Wigan lad that doesn’t want to return to his former hometown club maybe highlights the downward direction the club seems to be heading and what an utter shambles out recruitment policy has become.

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

I like george but I don’t think it looks great for him on face value . He had a contract at Canberra and got out of it , and reading that he had a written agreement with wigan and got out of it 

Fair commemt, but of course money talks - both sides.   The issue for Wigan was he would not have been expected returning so suddenly.  Everyone has financial difficulties, and then suddenly to try and find money half way in the season and also in the middle of bringing in players for next season.

But with Gildart and Hastings going, and Tommy surely retiring, Wigan must be in the middle of rebuilding.

I think he would have taken Wigan over Warrington every day of the week if the deal was roughly similar. I think it would have been unfair of Wigan to expect him to come back on a salary similar to when he left though. No doubt he is a better player now, and deserves a fairer wage.

I think the other thing on his mind would be that as good as he performed at Wigan he wouldn’t likely get an improved contract in future that put him into a similar marquee packet that he’d get at Warrington or Leeds - which let’s face it are the only clubs with generous benefactors at present. Wigan may be better pursing Trueman for 2023 when his contract expires. No transfer fee and probably a player almost as good as Williams on a much lower salary. 

Surely the first refusal thing will have just been to make a contract offer, which Williams will have been under no obligations to accept. So its pretty much no different to any other move really other than Wigam get to speak to him first, he is then completely within his rights to go speak to other clubs. I don't see how there can be any legal agreement that would mean Williams would have to resign for Wigan, they have no contract with him. 

Maybe Williams decided he'd rather play under Powell than Lam/Wane? Just a thought.

It's good that Wigan have not enforced the buy-back clause, but something doesn't smell right about their press release. I feel they are trying to turn a bad news story (prodigal son nearly comes home but finds somewhere else to live nearby) into a PR stunt, but it doesn't really work.

Maybe it's the timing of it - is it a pre-emptive strike to undermine the club that will announce his arrival? Whatever it is, it looks a bit like sour grapes have sneaked into the pie recipe.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Fair commemt, but of course money talks - both sides.   The issue for Wigan was he would not have been expected returning so suddenly.  Everyone has financial difficulties, and then suddenly to try and find money half way in the season and also in the middle of bringing in players for next season.

But with Gildart and Hastings going, and Tommy surely retiring, Wigan must be in the middle of rebuilding.

Surely this is the key point.

No-one would have been expecting Williams to return in 2021 and certainly not mid season.  So even if Wigan have a clause to return to them it doesn't mean that they had room in the cap to pay him. So they may have an offer on the table that was much less than his previous deal.

They could perhaps have enforced an agreement to return but that may have been for relatively little money.

In theory Williams could have taken less and then more next year but very few professional sports people take less money than is on offer and with a World Cup at the end of the year, he will want a club this season.

Without knowing all of the details of any offers etc. it is just speculation on our part.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In theory Williams could have taken less and then more next year

You need to be very careful about how you do that without breaching the salary cap I think.

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

You need to be very careful about how you do that without breaching the salary cap I think.

Yes I think he would effectively have to sign a contract for a few months, then sign one again when his current one expires.  Which isn't good for either party, as injuries might put the club off committing to the new contract, and better offers from other clubs might tempt the player to not sign the next contract.

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think he would have taken Wigan over Warrington every day of the week if the deal was roughly similar. I think it would have been unfair of Wigan to expect him to come back on a salary similar to when he left though. No doubt he is a better player now, and deserves a fairer wage.

I think the other thing on his mind would be that as good as he performed at Wigan he wouldn’t likely get an improved contract in future that put him into a similar marquee packet that he’d get at Warrington or Leeds - which let’s face it are the only clubs with generous benefactors at present. Wigan may be better pursing Trueman for 2023 when his contract expires. No transfer fee and probably a player almost as good as Williams on a much lower salary. 

That's all complete speculation, in my view. 

35 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Yes I think he would effectively have to sign a contract for a few months, then sign one again when his current one expires.  Which isn't good for either party, as injuries might put the club off committing to the new contract, and better offers from other clubs might tempt the player to not sign the next contract.

This is how Leeds managed to sign Brett Ferres for 2016 from Huddersfield, which was a last minute deal due to Ferres's various problems at the Giants. Despite us paying a transfer fee for him he only signed a one year contract and then a follow-on three year deal was announced about six months later. The terms of which I'm sure were absolutely not strongly indicated during the original negotiations.

15 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Well yes, obviously 🙄

To be fair, I should have had my opinions fact-checked by Wigan's PR Dept. like any sensible poster on an internet message board does... right?🙂

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

To be fair, I should have had my opinions fact-checked by Wigan's PR Dept. like any sensible poster on an internet message board does... right?🙂

i'm disgusted that you see fit to post your own opinions on a forum designed purely for people to share their opinions. 

Shame on you. 

If the rumours are to be believed, he would have been stupid to come back to Wigan when other clubs are prepared to pay him significantly more. Its a short career, can’t blame a player for trying to make as much as possible while they can.

23 minutes ago, 7723 said:

If the rumours are to be believed, he would have been stupid to come back to Wigan when other clubs are prepared to pay him significantly more. Its a short career, can’t blame a player for trying to make as much as possible while they can.

I think coming back has ensured he will earn significantly less for the rest of his career. Another really strong season and his earnings could have jumped to $800k+ per year. So he needs to cut the best compromise he can in the UK. 

46 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think coming back has ensured he will earn significantly less for the rest of his career. Another really strong season and his earnings could have jumped to $800k+ per year. So he needs to cut the best compromise he can in the UK. 

It's all relative, he could be better off overall in the uk with Warrington, everything is not the net wage income. 

3 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

i'm disgusted that you see fit to post your own opinions on a forum designed purely for people to share their opinions. 

Shame on you. 

Just because you are a Leeds fan you don't have to be silly. Anyone can post an opinion, but in doing so, be prepared to have the basis of that opinion examined. That's was a forum like this one is for.

3 hours ago, 7723 said:

And if they are not to be believed?  Perhaps we will never know because the parties involved are unlikely to reveal the full story.

Archived