London Broncos Ladies v The Army

Kickoff at 2pm today on Twitch: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I haven`t been sure whether the bits I`ve been watching are live, but I think we`re still at 0-0 after about 20 minutes.

So a lot more competitive than expected. Broncos are looking pretty good. All very encouraging for the new competition.

My feed kept going down so I’ve gone back to the cricket but the Broncos looked pretty well organised from the bits I did see 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I dropped out of watching with some streaming problems. Checking back, the current score is Army 12:10 Broncos.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Half time Army 12 Broncos 10.

Broncos went over from short-range just before the break. Both the Army tries had you wondering where the full-back was.

The opening Broncos try must have happened while the screen was blank.

Licence-fee payers used to have the test card and muzak during technical difficulties. More conducive to existential contemplation than a completely blank screen.

15 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

London marching on, now 20-12 ahead and looking good!

And that's the final score. A good first SL win against a very physical opposition.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The ARL were saying in the chat that this is their first game in close to two years. Add in that some of their better players have been picked up by SL clubs and it`s clear this Army team is very different from the one in 2019.

Cramp breaking out all over the park. Wonder if that happens when they play Union. There was a moment when a tackled Army player remained on the ground and placed the ball behind. - Bad habits are hard to kick.

Didn`t like the ref. Wanted to blow the whistle every time the ball went to ground.

I watch very little UK men`s RL currently so haven`t got a feel for how the rules are applied in no-scrum games. When a player lost the ball and an opponent regathered, this ref still blew up for a handover. Is that now standard practice so they can take the mark to the centre, or was he just an Aussie-style official who thinks diving on a loose ball is a knock-on?

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/06/2021 at 16:27, unapologetic pedant said:

The ARL were saying in the chat that this is their first game in close to two years. Add in that some of their better players have been picked up by SL clubs and it`s clear this Army team is very different from the one in 2019.

Cramp breaking out all over the park. Wonder if that happens when they play Union. There was a moment when a tackled Army player remained on the ground and placed the ball behind. - Bad habits are hard to kick.

Didn`t like the ref. Wanted to blow the whistle every time the ball went to ground.

I watch very little UK men`s RL currently so haven`t got a feel for how the rules are applied in no-scrum games. When a player lost the ball and an opponent regathered, this ref still blew up for a handover. Is that now standard practice so they can take the mark to the centre, or was he just an Aussie-style official who thinks diving on a loose ball is a knock-on?

Worth having a look at the follow up of the Army Vs Bedford Tigers. A lot of SL players returned and a different referee made it a very different game for the Army. The girl who placed the ball is a Welsh international who recently made the switch to union as Wales haven't had a Women's League team until recently, for many of the girls it's just a learning process as they have either switch codes or are dual coding with union and/or 7s.

On that note next Saturday the return fixture at Broncos is also being live streamed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2021 at 10:55, smoojalooge said:

On that note next Saturday the return fixture at Broncos is also being live streamed.

I`ve just watched the return game. Broncos 18 Army 32. These two teams are clearly well-matched.

The Broncos look limited in their attacking shape. Defensively, they often don`t put markers in at handovers or on the 10m line when an opponent is held up over their goal-line. This is such basic defence that it`s hard to believe it`s a tactical call, and they can`t all collectively forget the rules, so it makes me wonder how conversant their coaches are with the rulebook. Still, the club deserves great credit for assembling a competitive team.

In the first set of the game, the ref gave a ball-stealing penalty, then moved the mark to the centre of the field as you would for a handover. That must be wrong, unless I`m losing track of rule changes. For one thing, it meant the team awarded the penalty didn`t chew off some extra metres with a kick to touch.

Early in the second half, a voice from the side-line shouted "Forward" at a pass which went about a metre backwards. Significantly, the accent sounded Northern. It would be a pleasant change if RL in the South were free of this sort of dumb-ass nonsense.

Archived