Combined Nations All Stars Squad

so these players are just going to be dragged together and put out there without any proper training camp or time to gel together in any way at all? unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with Wigan fielding a reserves side on Thursday, if England get better preparation. The upside to England is so vast that it dwarfs any other consideration. That said, as we only had 20 players available (apparently), we may not be able to name 17. Has any team only fielded 16 before? Perhaps Trinity could lend us one? Or Lam could play?

40 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so these players are just going to be dragged together and put out there without any proper training camp or time to gel together in any way at all? unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said in the England thread - they'll meet up at a pub about an hour before the game , have a couple of pints, then sort out who plays where. It'll be fine, honest 🙂

You were meaning the CNAS? Weren't you...?

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

He’s right, this was so obvious. I’ve said it before and I’ll continue to say it … RFL = Right F’in Losers.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

10 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

He’s right, this was so obvious. I’ve said it before and I’ll continue to say it … RFL = Right F’in Losers.

The problem clearly lies with the SL clubs not the RFL, as even Shaw states in the comment you are apparently agreeing with!

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I have no problem with Wigan fielding a reserves side on Thursday, if England get better preparation. The upside to England is so vast that it dwarfs any other consideration. That said, as we only had 20 players available (apparently), we may not be able to name 17. Has any team only fielded 16 before? Perhaps Trinity could lend us one? Or Lam could play?

How similar will this England team be to the England team in the World Cup opening game?

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It a pity the games administrators and club owners don't feel the same. Its well within their power to put the national team first and is in their interests but too many are too short sighted to see that.

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

The problem clearly lies with the SL clubs not the RFL, as even Shaw states in the comment you are apparently agreeing with!

But fault must also sit with the RFL. If they had clearly set out the process … we can select ‘x’ players, if we select more then you can postpone the game. Ensure all clubs are agreed/understand. Then no issue. They can’t have done that or clubs wouldn’t now be raising issues.

2 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

But fault must also sit with the RFL. If they had clearly set out the process … we can select ‘x’ players, if we select more then you can postpone the game. Ensure all clubs are agreed/understand. Then no issue. They can’t have done that or clubs wouldn’t now be raising issues.

Maybe the bigger issue is the pandemic and cancellations and squad withdrawals that may be causing. 

27 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

There is a rule for that. I think the Trouble is there aren’t any gaps in the season to postpone the game to

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Maybe the bigger issue is the pandemic and cancellations and squad withdrawals that may be causing. 

Yes that’s clearly exasperated the situation. But again, that just needed to be the final part in the process. If a postponed game can’t be re-arranged due to COVID related issues/full calendar then it won’t be played and due to the league being determined on % will be deemed to be ok.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How similar will this England team be to the England team in the World Cup opening game?

I have no idea, but I will go with very, with NRL clubs’ likely attitude to slumming it over here likely to exacerbate the risk of withdrawals. 🙂 

25 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Yes that’s clearly exasperated the situation. But again, that just needed to be the final part in the process. If a postponed game can’t be re-arranged due to COVID related issues/full calendar then it won’t be played and due to the league being determined on % will be deemed to be ok.

But that's all there isn't it? 

I mean Covid appears to be messing with the Exiles squad selection. 

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But that's all there isn't it? 

I mean Covid appears to be messing with the Exiles squad selection. 

Well yes I think it is all there. Which if it is the case comes down to lack of authority on the part of the governing body to simply enforce.

4 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Well yes I think it is all there. Which if it is the case comes down to lack of authority on the part of the governing body to simply enforce.

Well yes, the clubs control critical decision making and continue to make a complete mess of it.

Looking from my own teams perspective (Wakefield) I believe we will be able to field a team but will have to rely on fringe and young players. With Trinity’s attitude of fulfilling fixtures to the best of their ability above any other SL team last season it would suprise me if we were in the postpone camp. We played with 10+ missing players last year on numerous ocassions.

Injured players

Tupou, Wood, Hampshire, Walker, Eseh, Croft. 

unavailable due to international

Westerman 

Lyne

Tanginoa?

fifita? 

That could potentially leave us with just enough to field a team. 

imo, if teams can field a team of 17 players then crack on and let’s get your matches played. I’m sure if your a player short an academy lad would love a SL debut. 

it’s rare trinity get to benefit from disciplinary results but facing wigan with no Hardaker or Singleton would be an advantage I’m sure trinity wouldn’t want to lose either. Why postpone when these two will most likely be available. Would seem silly.

plus I’ve bought my ticket lol

2 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Erm RFL cant dictate to SL...

8 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Well no, sometimes these things are just complicated. We are seeing isolation at play, meaning maybe some squad selections and commitments are now playing havoc. Cancelling games isn't desirable at a time when games are being postponed left right and centre in recent weeks. 

i quite like the idea of teams being forced to play fringe players.. happens in the NRL at Origin times when its weekend, wednesday, weekend. and they unearth some real gems and also find out players who may not hack it. We complain that young players dont get game time but then we complain when something like this comes along and it allows them to get game time. 

its not ideal but it can work if clubs use it right (that said no club games should be played on the same day for obvious reasons)

4 minutes ago, RP London said:

i quite like the idea of teams being forced to play fringe players.. happens in the NRL at Origin times when its weekend, wednesday, weekend. and they unearth some real gems and also find out players who may not hack it. We complain that young players dont get game time but then we complain when something like this comes along and it allows them to get game time. 

its not ideal but it can work if clubs use it right (that said no club games should be played on the same day for obvious reasons)

I agree. I was looking forward to a couple of Hull academy players getting a debut, Jack Brown having to step up and be our main prop etc. Huddersfield would be in the same boat and it's an opportunity for these players to shine.

Injury, suspension, Covid and fatigue ahead of a testing period that includes midweek games was always going to lead to a situation like this. We learnt little from the Exiles sham and even less about last year where Head Coaches were complaining of being down to the bare bones and player fatigue for the last couple of months of the regular season. Wasn’t it also Adam Pearson that said he wouldn’t release players because it was possibly going to be Hull’s first game with a full crowd for the best part of 15 months? This was all so inevitable really. 

Was all of this avoidable? Not really. For paid journalism, Matthew Shaw’s “we shudda played 23 games” is shortsighted and he’d then only be moaning we handed back so much money to Sky after having to do so last year too. Both The RFL and Super League have loaded their fixtures beyond 21st June because that was initially “freedom day”, understandable so, too. We couldn’t really justify playing an exhibition game much later than this because of the cup final on 17th July and then the run in before the play-offs. 

Nobody comes out with much credit here but as I said at the time it’s a poorly thought out and executed idea. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Injury, suspension, Covid and fatigue ahead of a testing period that includes midweek games was always going to lead to a situation like this. We learnt little from the Exiles sham and even less about last year where Head Coaches were complaining of being down to the bare bones and player fatigue for the last couple of months of the regular season. Wasn’t it also Adam Pearson that said he wouldn’t release players because it was possibly going to be Hull’s first game with a full crowd for the best part of 15 months? This was all so inevitable really. 

Was all of this avoidable? Not really. For paid journalism, Matthew Shaw’s “we shudda played 23 games” is shortsighted and he’d then only be moaning we handed back so much money to Sky after having to do so last year too. Both The RFL and Super League have loaded their fixtures beyond 21st June because that was initially “freedom day”, understandable so, too. We couldn’t really justify playing an exhibition game much later than this because of the cup final on 17th July and then the run in before the play-offs. 

Nobody comes out with much credit here but as I said at the time it’s a poorly thought out and executed idea. 

There's a line I use quite a bit from a detective novel when setting up structures. It goes something like this: you do this, you do this, you do this, and then when it comes together no one will see any of that and will call you lucky.

It works the other way too. You don't do this, you don't do this, you don't do this ... and, you might just get away with it. But if something falls out of place then, whilst you can claim it was just bad luck, you were never in a position to withstand it.

There's a lot the RFL got right in surviving the worst of the pandemic lockdown last year. But they, the clubs, and Super League can't blame "oh bad luck" when nothing they have done for this game, or England's wider development, could have withstood more than a stiff breeze.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived