Combined Nations All Stars Squad

6 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

In their respective positions, I would rather have seen non-English players selected. If you are relying on Championship players to fill an All Stars squad, then it is not worthy of the name, in my view.

To answer your question, in place of English players (or indeed other non-English players) we could have seen:  Coote, Grace, Parcell, Takarangi, Mamo, Clark, Hurrell, Martin, Tetevano, Paasi, Mau, Fonua, Sao, Yaha, Bousquet and Garcia, to name a few.

This isn't taking any pragmatism into it though. Hull KR were out, and that has led to the Championship player, but your comment on that is a little insulting anyway. They clearly have not gone for more than 5 players from any one club. 

It's a decent squad with the likes of Sezer, Hastings, Leutele, Edwards, Satae etc. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loads of negativity, as per usual, but I'm looking forward to this more than any other sporting event this weekend, be it the Wales game in the euros, the F1, etc. For those not in the heartlands, internationals are the only way to grow the game. 

Fair play to the clubs and players putting their hands up for the combined nations. What, with their tidy kit, I'm going to support the CN's XIII.

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I see the finger pointing at Saints has begun. Thompson didn’t want to be included weeks ago, Coote, Matautia and Grace are managing injuries so decided against it. 

What does managing injuries mean?

4 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Loads of negativity, as per usual, but I'm looking forward to this more than any other sporting event this weekend, be it the Wales game in the euros, the F1, etc. For those not in the heartlands, internationals are the only way to grow the game. 

Fair play to the clubs and players putting their hands up for the combined nations. What, with their tidy kit, I'm going to support the CN's XIII.

I agree. Aa someone who is counting the minutes down to the World Cup I am really looking forward to seeing how England go and how Tomkins, Lomax, Gale and Clark combine as a spine.

The England Rugby League games and the two State of Origins are my sport top priorities this week.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This isn't taking any pragmatism into it though. Hull KR were out, and that has led to the Championship player, but your comment on that is a little insulting anyway. They clearly have not gone for more than 5 players from any one club. 

It's a decent squad with the likes of Sezer, Hastings, Leutele, Edwards, Satae etc. 

I accept that for one reason or another not all of those players would be free but I have listed 16 who, in my view, would have been improvements and could have named more.

I disagree on the Championship player comment being insulting. I know it's an extreme comparison but you wouldn't see a Queensland Cup player in State of Origin. Whilst we are nowhere near that level, I think it is a bad look that we cannot find 17 non-English players from our premier competition to play in this fixture.

I agree that the squad is ok but the fact that players who are in England's elite training squad (and may play for us at the World Cup) cheapens it in my view.

Of course, a lot of this could have been avoided if we had a blank Super League weekend. Sadly, the clubs decided to go with loop fixtures this year and despite all agreeing to release players at the start of the year for the match, have now put obstacles in the way.

Internationals should be the pinnacle of the sport in my view (and if we want to grow, it must be), so I find it frustrating that it is treated as an afterthought once again.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not going to defend our sport's attitude to the international game as I would love to see more focus on it but it is interesting how the same situation can have either positive or negative connotations defending on spin.

In Rugby Union, when Premiership games are played on the same day as an England international and the clubs release their players to play the international it is seen as evidence to how the sport values the international game.

In Rugby League when Super League games are played on the same day as an England international and the clubs release their players to play the international it is seen as evidence to how the sport doesn't value the international game as the clubs continue to play their fixtures.

Big difference - The major RU nations have no problem getting fans to attend  internationals.

4 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I accept that for one reason or another not all of those players would be free but I have listed 16 who, in my view, would have been improvements and could have named more.

I disagree on the Championship player comment being insulting. I know it's an extreme comparison but you wouldn't see a Queensland Cup player in State of Origin. Whilst we are nowhere near that level, I think it is a bad look that we cannot find 17 non-English players from our premier competition to play in this fixture.

I agree that the squad is ok but the fact that players who are in England's elite training squad (and may play for us at the World Cup) cheapens it in my view.

Of course, a lot of this could have been avoided if we had a blank Super League weekend. Sadly, the clubs decided to go with loop fixtures this year and despite all agreeing to release players at the start of the year for the match, have now put obstacles in the way.

Internationals should be the pinnacle of the sport in my view (and if we want to grow, it must be), so I find it frustrating that it is treated as an afterthought once again.

I share some of your frustrations, but I think sometimes we need to just take things for what they are. Most people won't really care about the fact that there is a lower division player - I suggest there are some lower division players in the Euros at the moment maybe? ( I haven't checked so am probably wrong!).

I believe this will be a better challenge for the England team than a game against France, and the point about England players being selected is an interesting one, as it now seems this was intentional - I thought it was odd that Widdopp was asked a few weeks back about being selected for them, it would appear that there was always the chance of this. And as a trial game, I don't have an issue with it.

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree. Aa someone who is counting the minutes down to the World Cup I am really looking forward to seeing how England go and how Tomkins, Lomax, Gale and Clark combine as a spine.

The England Rugby League games and the two State of Origins are my sport top priorities this week.

Yup, I'll still go along and enjoy it, no matter how many people tell me it is a waste of time and should be cancelled.

I've just pinned the 'official' TRL match thread for this game, along with a 'who's gonna win' poll, so to avoid things getting too confusing, I'm locking this thread now and asking nicely for everyone to carry on the discussion over there.

Link below.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/362160-fri-25-jun-intl-england-v-combined-nations-all-stars-ko-2015-tv/

Thanks!

Archived