18 year old to be given his SOO debut after only playing 7 NRL games

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Showing the lack of depth these days in the Aussie game I would say.

The number of Islanders in the NRL has really grown in the past 20 years.

And in particular the lack of depth in the Queensland backs. They have lost Xavier Coates and have very little in the way of options there so they have had to shift Valentine Holmes to the wing and bring in Walsh.

The Maroons 1 to 5 shows just how thin their options are these days.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I take your point but perhaps it reflects more on Queensland's position than the Aussie game as a whole.  I think NSW could put out a second string 13 that might do better than Queensland did in SOO1.   Now watch Queensland prove me wrong this Wednesday!!

Just now, Dunbar said:

And in particular the lack of depth in the Queensland backs. They have lost Xavier Coates and have very little in the way of options there so they have had to shift Valentine Holmes to the wing and bring in Walsh.

The Maroons 1 to 5 shows just how thin their options are these days.

Think Saints could beat Queensland TBH - i know the NRL lovers will go crazy on here but they are struggling.

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think Saints could beat Queensland TBH - i know the NRL lovers will go crazy on here but they are struggling.

Queensland still boast some good players but all the praise of New South Wales last time out has to be balanced by how low Queensland currently are in some of their options.  They have a good pack (even better with the return of Josh Papalli) but very poor in the backs compared to NSW.

The Maroons performance will hinge on Cherry-Evans and Munster playing better than game 1.  They couldn't play much worse.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Really? He's at most the 7th best fullback in the NRL currently. It's just the others are either NSW or injured. 

1. Tedesco

2. Turbo

3. Latrell

4. Ponga

5. Gutherson

6. Brimson

Plus Ryan Papenhuyzen.

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Knew I would have forgotten someone! Added him to the list now.

As you say, full back is probably the strongest position in the NRL at the moment.  And most are Kangaroo players but the majority are also NSW and so the depth they have there is incredible.  Luckily for them Mitchell and Tom Trbojevic are also world class centres.

A few other positions have less depth - 6, 7 & 9.  If the Kangaroos didn't have Nathan Cleary available I would say their halves would be as poor as I have seen from Australia for a long time.

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How can they lose with GOAT David Fifita

The tactic of deliberately misunderstanding the David Fifita thread is wearing about as thin as the Queensland backline options.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As you say, full back is probably the strongest position in the NRL at the moment.  And most are Kangaroo players but the majority are also NSW and so the depth they have there is incredible.  Luckily for them Mitchell and Tom Trbojevic are also world class centres.

A few other positions have less depth - 6, 7 & 9.  If the Kangaroos didn't have Nathan Cleary available I would say their halves would be as poor as I have seen from Australia for a long time.

I think it is probably more just the nature of the position itself, rather than NSW being overly endowed with good fullbacks.

Fullback is a position these days that can give any number of the talented outside backs the room to express themselves, probably reflected in the different types of fullbacks we see, some with passing game, some lightning fast, some with a bit of both or just both.

In fact QLD having a lack of high quality fullbacks is just as much of a reflection of their lack of quality outside backs, centres in particular, because they are often the type that have the necessary skills to make the shift and then also benefit from the extra room to express themselves.

You really don`t like DCE do you.

58 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Don't know if everyone has seen this but it's a list of every eligible player.

https://www.qrl.com.au/about/eligible-players-men/

I saw this earlier today actually, as I thought they must have plenty more options in the backs.

Walsh obvs has talent, and no doubt will be a star, but can’t help thinking they are doing themselves and him no favours throwing him in like this.

Not too sure how many of those QLD players listed are injured, but I would have thought they could have put out a better and more experienced back line than they have. 
No doubt they’ll prove me wrong though. Can never write off the QLDers.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

Don't know if everyone has seen this but it's a list of every eligible player.

https://www.qrl.com.au/about/eligible-players-men/

There`s some pretty handy players in there, I thought that Tesi Nui from the Broncos looks like a real prospect, same as that young second rower from the Cowboys Ben Condon and I`ve never minded Hymel Hunt as a centre either, surely he`d be a better option than Capewell at centre, especially playing outside a decent set of halves, the bloke is very hard to stop.

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Arguably the worst Queensland team since Origin began against what is potentially the best NSW backline they’ve had for a long time.

The Queensland team in 1995 - when players from star-studded Brisbane and Canberra weren't available - was far worse than this one. They were reduced to calling up  'unknown' teenager Ben Ikin and such as Craig Teevan, Terry Cook & ex-Hunslet forward Mark Hohn.

They won the series 3-0 under Paul Vautin, making just 1 change in 3 matches.

Never write off the Maroons. But Paul Green lacks the passion of Vautin or the footballing nous of Bennett. Then again, Fittler has yet to win at Lang Park.

14 hours ago, wiggler said:

I take your point but perhaps it reflects more on Queensland's position than the Aussie game as a whole.  I think NSW could put out a second string 13 that might do better than Queensland did in SOO1.   Now watch Queensland prove me wrong this Wednesday!!

Sunday

Anyone criticising this probably hasn’t seen Walsh play, one of the most exciting talents in years. I think it’s good for them to give him some SOO experience and tie him into the Maroons for years to come, despite his young age. 

Archived