18 year old to be given his SOO debut after only playing 7 NRL games

16 hours ago, wiggler said:

Now watch Queensland prove me wrong this Wednesday!!

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Sunday

If they turned up to play on Wednesday and NSW didn’t turn up till Sunday they’d probably still lose 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While State of Origin has been sanitised in recent years with all the foul play tidied up, it is still very physical.  I worry about whether Walsh is physically durable enough at this stage. I hope so though.

This will go one of two ways. Either he will have a blinder or be found out as not ready.  I hope it is the former but I fear it won't be.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While State of Origin has been sanitised in recent years with all the foul play tidied up, it is still very physical.  I worry about whether Walsh is physically durable enough at this stage. I hope so though.

This will go one of two ways. Either he will have a blinder or be found out as not ready.  I hope it is the former but I fear it won't be.

He’ll get a very early bomb , which will be an indicator 

5 hours ago, Vyvyan said:

Walsh is an excellent prospect.   If he was English he'd be straight in the national side.

On what evidence?

The Australians are far better at giving young kids a chance representatively.  If he was English he would have to go on loan to a Championship club for a season and then play a 100 Super League games to 'learn his trade' before we was given a chance.  We don't back talent nearly as much as the Aussies. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Reece Walsh has now been ruled out of contention for Origin 2.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Reece Walsh has now been ruled out of contention for Origin 2.

Oh well, that was a fun chat for a while.

5 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Mulitalo isn’t eligible for Queensland, a story is brewing down under and they aren’t wrong.

Watch this space.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Mulitalo isn’t eligible for Queensland, a story is brewing down under and they aren’t wrong.

Watch this space.

He wasn't born in Queensland (he was born in Aukland) and so according to the eligibility rules he needed to have been a resident of Queensland before his 13th birthday.  I can't see anywhere when he moved to Ipswich.

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He wasn't born in Queensland (he was born in Aukland) and so according to the eligibility rules he needed to have been a resident of Queensland before his 13th birthday.  I can't see anywhere when he moved to Ipswich.

14… NSWRL have launched an appeal to the NRL

On 22/06/2021 at 04:59, Mr Frisky said:

Showing the lack of depth these days in the Aussie game I would say.

The number of Islanders in the NRL has really grown in the past 20 years.

One of his parents is Aboriginal, how Australian do you want him to be?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 22/06/2021 at 05:08, Mr Frisky said:

Think Saints could beat Queensland TBH - i know the NRL lovers will go crazy on here but they are struggling.

You know 

On 22/06/2021 at 05:07, wiggler said:

I take your point but perhaps it reflects more on Queensland's position than the Aussie game as a whole.  I think NSW could put out a second string 13 that might do better than Queensland did in SOO1.   Now watch Queensland prove me wrong this Wednesday!!

It’s played on Sunday

On 22/06/2021 at 05:16, Dallas Mead said:

Doubtful mate, can’t even beat Warrington it would seem? 🤷‍♂️

Saints can’t beat Catalans 😁

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

He wasn’t gonna play then or they’ve had a change of heart about throwing him in

He has a hamstring injury

2 hours ago, Allora said:

One of his parents is Aboriginal, how Australian do you want him to be?

I was talking about the strength in depth of the NRL these days- and that's the reason this kid is being considered. I never said anything about his right to play origin.

4 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I was talking about the strength in depth of the NRL these days- and that's the reason this kid is being considered. I never said anything about his right to play origin.

One certain poster tells us there has never been so many top class fullbacks and the SL doesn't have one to compete with them, so are they all from overseas or NSW. 

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Of the 8 fullbacks better than Walsh, 6 are from NSW. The two Queenslanders are injured. 

Just thought this was a golden age of fullbacks, didn't think there. Would be a need to try unproven 18 years old. 

Even if he's not a Maroon he certainly has diverse ambitions.

"The USA has always been a big influence on me. When I saw them play, I thought, 'That would be fun. It would be pretty cool, something different'," Mulitalo said, adding he also has ambitions to play for Samoa and Australia down the track.

"My whole family on my mum's side are American Samoan and they're all proud as well. It will be good to represent that side of them. Now I just need to get myself to the USA and experience [the country]. I can't wait."

So I guess his Dad's side comes from non-American Samoa. Why doesn't he want to play for NZ as well?

And now Mulitalo is gone ...

Ronaldo Mulitalo says he is "heartbroken" after learning he is ineligible to play for Queensland in this evening's State of Origin II in Brisbane.

New Zealand-born Mulitalo was withdrawn from the Lang Park clash this morning after the Maroons were unable to disprove information from a 2019 article claiming he had moved to Queensland just shy of his 14th birthday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-27/state-of-origin-queensland-maroons-ronaldo-mulitalo-ruled-out/100247888

I can't stand the way so many pundits are now saying the system is a mess, blah, blah. The system was agreed to after Uate, Tamou and some others. The QRL agreed to it. As for any effect it has on International eligibility, those are RIFL rules and, once again, everybody agreed to them.

To make this situation even more stupid, he's actually spent more time living in NSW since he arrived in OZ. Here's Mulitalo:

“The entire system of eligibility is a mess. I have made it known to all powers that be within the game from the day I got here as a 13-year-old that I wanted to represent Queensland.

Yeah well blame the QRL. Didn't he ever wonder why Taumalolo and Sam Burgess had never played Origin?

Archived