Make Aus v NZ great again

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

State of Origin II is Sunday, not tomorrow. They’re also not crushing international rugby league, the exponential growth in the southern hemisphere is something we should be envious of while we can’t even get a game organised against the Exiles. 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

State of Origin II is Sunday, not tomorrow. They’re also not crushing international rugby league, the exponential growth in the southern hemisphere is something we should be envious of while we can’t even get a game organised against the Exiles. 

The Trans-Tasman 3 test series did/does more for international RL than SOO will/would ever do.

Greg Dowling’s stoush with Kevin Tamati defines Trans-Tasman Test rivalry | Daily Telegraph

Greg Dowling speaking :

"We were both riled up. Some people thought I threw (racial) taunts at him but even though we hated each other I never used terminology like that and never would.

What I did say what the Kiwis do with their sheep is utterly disgusting. We have to eat those things.’’

"Tamati was up for the blue after spending the previous summer doing boxing training and having several amateur fights.

"Dowling then had to tour New Zealand for the remaining two Tests of the series where he felt as welcome as a man trying to order a steak sandwich at a vegetarian restaurant.

I really copped it when we played in New Zealand. None of the boys would walk down the same side of the street as me. I’m serious.’

The fight:  Tamati v Dowling - YouTube

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Who said it did? The Oceania Cup is far more beneficial for the international game than Australia v New Zealand playing each other over and over. 

You said SOO was better for international RL than AUS v NZ.

You know it is doable to have Fiji v PNG or Tonga v Samoa at the same time.

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

You said SOO was better for international RL than AUS v NZ.

You know it is doable to have Fiji v PNG or Tonga v Samoa at the same time.

No, I didn’t. You took a needless and inaccurate swipe at the Southern Hemisphere based on history rather than current times, where the international game couldn’t be stronger in that part of the world. 

State of Origin could well be attributed to the development of players should some of them choose to play for a tier two nation come the World Cup, with State of Origin giving them much needed exposure of big events and big games. 

But hey, it’s Australia with the problem not us here in England. 

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, I didn’t. You took a needless and inaccurate swipe at the Southern Hemisphere based on history rather than current times, where the international game couldn’t be stronger in that part of the world. 

State of Origin could well be attributed to the development of players should some of them choose to play for a tier two nation come the World Cup, with State of Origin giving them much needed exposure of big events and big games. 

But hey, it’s Australia with the problem not us here in England. 

Are you suggesting that Pacific Islanders would only play for tier2 nations every 4 years in the World Cup if they choose to but play every year in SOO?

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Are you suggesting that Pacific Islanders would only play for tier2 nations every 4 years in the World Cup if they choose to but play every year in SOO?

No, they have a proper international calendar with an Oceania Cup and other tests as well as a World Cup. They may well choose to play in those and State of Origin. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Most likely, next year. 

So they can represent their state and their country. 

If they play well in state of origin this will make it harder for both the Australian selectors and the players themselves not to opt to play for Australia.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

If they play well in state of origin this will make it harder for both the Australian selectors and the players themselves not to opt to play for Australia.

That’s an issue they’ll have to deal with. Players have committed to tier two nations before, I’m sure others will continue to do so. 

Archived