Whitehaven on Sunday

Simon Hall

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Atkinson deserves a medal for not swearing during that commentary. You could feel his embarrassment coming through the radio.
Hate knocking the club, fordy or players but this season is totally unacceptable for the squad assembled. Start of the season there was a buzz about the club but that's long gone. Not sure where the problem lay but there's obviously an issue somewhere. These ex SL stars are offering nothing for the best part. Have they taken their bat and balls home once we didn't get the SL nod earlier in the year. Did they signed on the hope we would reach the promise land? 
Whatever the answer, we are a poor side, can't tackle, can't open a side up, discipline appalling, no heart, no leader and it's all there to see. 
It's not over yet but a massive improvement needs to be seen or we face relegation.

If certain players were as committed to the club as much as the volunteers and fans that follow the knights are then you couldn’t argue. 

Us as fans have seen it all at York, thick and thin, we’ve always had more kicks in the teeth and lows than highs over all these years I’ve been watching. Been a York and also City fan it’s just a standard that we will be letdown, hurt and disappointed and left feeling disappointed at another glorious, brave failure. It all offers much promise but ends up been poo and it reverts to laughable failure. 

Theres stories doing the rounds about certain players and why they’ve been shipped out or not playing, I’m not privy to know if they are correct but there’s certainly a lack of spirit and fight in this side. Yes, we’ve had a lot of injuries but that doesn’t excuse the poor performances. 

Fordy has done so much for the club, he’s a great guy and a very good coach, I certainly don’t want to point the finger at him but more a collective group issue into our failings this year so far. 

Oh for a Benny C or Horne in this side, they were real leaders of men in their professionalism and application. We need a settled side, we need to give some of the fringe players a run as they can’t do any worse. 

The seasons not over by a long way but if we fail to win next Sunday then we really are a club in trouble. 

Just hope the fans keep turning out and get behind the side that is put out. There’s people who will be there totally committed in the stands as they have been for years and decades, the club runs in our veins. Just hope some of that pride and blood is running through the players veins next weekend and the rest of the season. 

Why do we keep on turning up you ask yourself? 

Answer...because if it’s in the blood, it’s in the blood and it’s a love affair for life. It’s that and the fact been a York fan we are masochists and used to the punishment.

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"

Millican Dalton...1867-1947

31 minutes ago, Puk said:

Over rated players and one or two well past there best,discipline big issue all season don't know what else Fordy can do with this squad

Fordy brought all these players in and ultimately whatever he says the responsibility lies with him. I hope he can turn it around and I will be there next week to cheer them on. I just hope the players can repay the loyal fans the same fans who will be turning up long after they have been and gone.

I hope the club use this as a learning process the championship is a very hard league we had a brilliant first season but nothing should ever be taken for granted we need to learn to walk before we can run establish ourselves in this league learn that you just can’t buy a team a team is built with players wanting to play for each other and the club.

Agree with all that Andy Knight.

Everyone has their own viewpoint, mine is we should recall our loaned out players immediately, pay Uncle Derek a few quid to keep Ellis for the season, and return the others because constantly having players back and forth can’t help. Give the fringe players a chance to stake their claim for a starting slot at Wembley, I don’t care how many SL games a player has played or how many trophies they’ve won, if they aren’t doing it at PRESENT (we don’t play rugby in the past) then they shouldn’t be in the 17 each week. And please can we stop experimenting with players in odd positions - we did it with Horne in the halves at Whitehaven back in 2018 and decided it would be a good idea to try it with Clarkson at hooker today. 

1 hour ago, Andy Knight said:

Andy Atkinson deserves a medal for not swearing during that commentary. You could feel his embarrassment coming through the radio.
Hate knocking the club, fordy or players but this season is totally unacceptable for the squad assembled. Start of the season there was a buzz about the club but that's long gone. 

That buzz went when chizzy charged the game winning kick down at your gaffe. A game York could have won but didn't and really shaped the direction in which our clubs seasons have developed.

It was always going to be difficult following up last seasons performance in which York punched way above their weight.

Get fordy away from the mirror and he's not a bad lad.... I feel for him.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

That buzz went when chizzy charged the game winning kick down at your gaffe. A game York could have won but didn't and really shaped the direction in which our clubs seasons have developed.

It was always going to be difficult following up last seasons performance in which York punched way above their weight.

Get fordy away from the mirror and he's not a bad lad.... I feel for him.

After the Fev game, we won at Widnes, and beat Oldham. but for me the wheels came off at Odsal, and we have struggled since, apart from the Cup game against Swinton. Our defence, almost impenetrable a couple of seasons ago, is non existent and it needs fixing quickly Any suggestions gratefully received.

Too many old men in the side who've been there done that and don't really need to do it again other than to pick up a final pay cheque.

Everyone more bothered about a lovely day out at Wemberlee than establishing ourselves at this difficult level of rugby league.Taken our eyes off the ball somewhat and it might relegate us in the end.

It will be interesting to see how crowd numbers hold up in the coming weeks ,us York fans ain't exactly the best at sticking with it when times get tough,no new stadium bounce for us i fear.

Big decisions maybe needed by the club in the next few weeks,have they got the balls for it ?

I’ll be there even if they’re playing in a field like  Clifton park or Heworth. No disrespect to either. Mentioned the big time Charlie’s after 3 games and got shot down 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

7 minutes ago, DEANO said:

I’ll be there even if they’re playing in a field like  Clifton park or Heworth. No disrespect to either. Mentioned the big time Charlie’s after 3 games and got shot down 

As a York fan from afar I only get to see bits and bobs of the games but I'm wondering where the team is that came to Toronto in second place in 2019, always gave us a game and beat us soundly once at Bootham Crescent. Hope it shows up soon..and if I was back in my old hometown I'd be showing up every week and cheering them on. Win or lose they are your Knights.

I don't expect us to win every week, I don't expect us to be promoted, I don't expect us to even be in the top 4 at the start of this season.

What I do expect is effort, passion and desire. There was very little if any of that at all today.

I don't know what's happened, I can't put my finger on what's missing. The ex-Super League players haven't been awful, but they haven't shown why they played in the top division at one point. To blame them is too easy, Ben Cockayne and Horne were superb for us, two players we have never replaced either.

One thing we could always rely on was our defence, that's what won us our games in the past. That's now vanished, especially our try-line defence, yesterday it was appalling. I was honestly embarrassed to be in Whitehaven yesterday with the effort that was put in. Far too many players coasting. 

Re. Ford - He's still young as a coach, he'll learn and he's still got an amazing beard. I would still happily give him until the end of next season but as others have mentioned he signed plenty of players that he's been happy to loan out or not use this season in favour of two week loans from Super League. Does this show that he got his recruitment wrong in the winter? Injuries in the halves cannot be helped, but there's players on the sidelines and out on loan that deserve a chance over some of those that played today.

Onto Newcastle...

Jason Bass Fan Club - member #001

1 hour ago, Toby The Tram said:

I don't expect us to win every week, I don't expect us to be promoted, I don't expect us to even be in the top 4 at the start of this season.

What I do expect is effort, passion and desire. There was very little if any of that at all today.

I don't know what's happened, I can't put my finger on what's missing. The ex-Super League players haven't been awful, but they haven't shown why they played in the top division at one point. To blame them is too easy, Ben Cockayne and Horne were superb for us, two players we have never replaced either.

One thing we could always rely on was our defence, that's what won us our games in the past. That's now vanished, especially our try-line defence, yesterday it was appalling. I was honestly embarrassed to be in Whitehaven yesterday with the effort that was put in. Far too many players coasting. 

Re. Ford - He's still young as a coach, he'll learn and he's still got an amazing beard. I would still happily give him until the end of next season but as others have mentioned he signed plenty of players that he's been happy to loan out or not use this season in favour of two week loans from Super League. Does this show that he got his recruitment wrong in the winter? Injuries in the halves cannot be helped, but there's players on the sidelines and out on loan that deserve a chance over some of those that played today.

Onto Newcastle...

Agree with all that Toby. And you ask the question about Fordy, " does this show that he got his recruitment wrong in the winter"?  I think he did, as I've said for ages not enough grunt up front. And, James himself said he'd signed some good leaders for this campaign. But maybe he signed too many, egos and all that? But hindsight's a wonderful thing.

A fan on Facebook yesterday said that when the team were behind the sticks after conceding yet again in that woeful first half it was mainly Tim and Washbrook doing the talking. The captain was relatively quiet and other players had their heads down. We keep being told that this group of players are together and working hard to put things right. Summat doesn't seem right. 

Heavens to betsy. Where to start commenting on that!?  Enjoyed my fish n chips in keswick and weather was good. Other than that the rest of it was pants. We are not a TEAM. Pure and simple. Nothing about our line up is settled. Nothing that occurs on the pitch seems organised. 

as i said several weeks ago unless we get a sudden turn around we r goin nowhere other than back down. But in all honesty i cant see here today gone tomoro wandering minstrels and a dads army of hand-me-downs saving the day. 

15 hours ago, stevo56 said:

Too many old men in the side who've been there done that and don't really need to do it again other than to pick up a final pay cheque.

Everyone more bothered about a lovely day out at Wemberlee than establishing ourselves at this difficult level of rugby league.Taken our eyes off the ball somewhat and it might relegate us in the end.

It will be interesting to see how crowd numbers hold up in the coming weeks ,us York fans ain't exactly the best at sticking with it when times get tough,no new stadium bounce for us i fear.

Big decisions maybe needed by the club in the next few weeks,have they got the balls for it ?

All the work the knights have done in the last 3 or 4 years is going out of the window and York City and the knights will struggle to get people to travel to the new stadium if the team's aren't performing

20 hours ago, Andy Knight said:

Not sure where the problem lay but there's obviously an issue somewhere. These ex SL stars are offering nothing for the best part. 
Whatever the answer, we are a poor side, can't tackle, can't open a side up, discipline appalling, no heart, no leader and it's all there to see. 

Just a series of random observations as usual as, contrary to popular belief, I dont have a fly-on-the-wall insight to what goes on, team-wise.

We started brightly and, in all probability, scored two tries which were deemed held up by an official who couldnt/didnt get into position quickly enough to give a decision on play as it happened.

Our defence and general play had no confidence whatsoever yesterday. We looked jittery and I blame the revolving door and a lack of familiarity between players, rightly or wrongly.

The errors both in handling and in conceding penalties are crippling us in every respect - take Haven's third try as a perfect example.

At the end of yesterday's game, certain players looked hurt, I'll name them but you wont need me to - Spearsie, Jubby. Matty, Scotty, possibly two or three more.  Certain players didnt look that way. One guy that was hurting more than all of them was Fordy.

Fordy held a coaches discussion/inquest outside the dressing room after the game - 15/20 minutes duration - at which point they all went into the dressing room for another 15 minutes or so. There was then another coaching discussion back outside. Fordy does refer to it in his post-match interview.

Haven were promoted into the game by our errors. They got stronger and we kept making error

I suspect, possibly incorrectly, that the influence of a particular senior player has been eroded by the influence of several other 'senior' players to the detriment of team togetherness/effectiveness/morale.

I hate the current loan system and lay that at the RFL's door.

I love our club and I appreciate people make mistakes and wrong calls, at certain times, but that won't waver my support for Flatters, Fordy and all who sail in there.

8 minutes ago, andyacko said:

Just a series of random observations as usual as, contrary to popular belief, I dont have a fly-on-the-wall insight to what goes on, team-wise.

We started brightly and, in all probability, scored two tries which were deemed held up by an official who couldnt/didnt get into position quickly enough to give a decision on play as it happened.

Our defence and general play had no confidence whatsoever yesterday. We looked jittery and I blame the revolving door and a lack of familiarity between players, rightly or wrongly.

The errors both in handling and in conceding penalties are crippling us in every respect - take Haven's third try as a perfect example.

At the end of yesterday's game, certain players looked hurt, I'll name them but you wont need me to - Spearsie, Jubby. Matty, Scotty, possibly two or three more.  Certain players didnt look that way. One guy that was hurting more than all of them was Fordy.

Fordy held a coaches discussion/inquest outside the dressing room after the game - 15/20 minutes duration - at which point they all went into the dressing room for another 15 minutes or so. There was then another coaching discussion back outside. Fordy does refer to it in his post-match interview.

Haven were promoted into the game by our errors. They got stronger and we kept making errors.

Fordy once said to me after a game a few seasons ago that a couple of players wouldnt play in a Knights shirt again. I can think of two we have at the moment that I would apply that to, sadly.

I suspect, possibly incorrectly, that the influence of a particular senior player has been eroded by the influence of several other 'senior' players to the detriment of team togetherness/effectiveness/morale.

I love our club and I appreciate people make mistakes and wrong calls, at certain times, but that won't waver my support for Flatters, Fordy and all who sail in there.

With all due respect AY nowt wrong with the loan system FEV have had 3 including one  from you and they all have played well all scored and contributed to 3 FEV wins

11 minutes ago, POR said:

With all due respect AY nowt wrong with the loan system FEV have had 3 including one  from you and they all have played well all scored and contributed to 3 FEV wins

With all due respect the loan system IS a joke. 2 week loans, then a player can go back for a midweek game, then back to the loan club for a run out on the Sunday? Ridiculous. Can't understand why we'd even entertain it in Hepi's case when we've 2 of our own forwards running the water on. Smacks of desperation and even if it isn't, it looks that way to supporters.

Beggars can't be choosers and all that but it's doing nowt for the integrity of the sport when you've got players to-ing and fro-ing to various clubs in the same division.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 hour ago, andyacko said:

Haven were promoted into the game by our errors. They got stronger and we kept making error

I suspect, possibly incorrectly, but could be right, you never know, just maybe, that WE HAVE TOO MANY CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS.

Sorry Acko, you know I love you really. 

Like most fans I'm hurting and know that Fordy is a proud man who is hurting too. Yesterday in interview you both sounded like shellshocked heroes, going through the motions and wishing you were somewhere else.

I'm going to Wembley and intend to enjoy the weekend, but I truly wish it was this week so we could get it out of the bloody way, it's a blessing and a curse combined. Once it's over maybe we can start sorting out the wheat from the chaff, survive the remainder of the season and look to rebuild.

59 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

With all due respect the loan system IS a joke. 2 week loans, then a player can go back for a midweek game, then back to the loan club for a run out on the Sunday? Ridiculous. Can't understand why we'd even entertain it in Hepi's case when we've 2 of our own forwards running the water on. Smacks of desperation and even if it isn't, it looks that way to supporters.

Beggars can't be choosers and all that but it's doing nowt for the integrity of the sport when you've got players to-ing and fro-ing to various clubs in the same division.

As iv'e  stated BEFORE  luke briscoe did it for whinos on thursday and scored then FEV on sunday and scored four  everybody was happy

BUT  surely that's down to your coach not the loan system just beacuse you've got players on loan you don't have to play them remember  our lad jake   didn't play 

last time I looked c%s are in a different division

23 minutes ago, Nearenough said:

PS the ref was hilarious in his ineptitude btw. Not just his random calls but his terrible positioning

Absolutely. The term 'I got there as quickly as I could' springs to mind.

3 minutes ago, POR said:

As iv'e  stated BEFORE  luke briscoe did it for whinos on thursday and scored then FEV on sunday and scored four  everybody was happy

BUT  surely that's down to your coach not the loan system just beacuse you've got players on loan you don't have to play them remember  our lad jake   didn't play 

Jake was injured.

16 minutes ago, POR said:

I was referring to players like Joe Keyes, playing for us, back to Hull KR, then out on loan to Bradford.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Archived