Sat 26-Sun 27 Jun: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's games in Betfred League 1 here.

SATURDAY 26th JUNE
West Wales Raiders v Hunslet KO 15:00

SUN 27TH JUNE 2021
Barrow Raiders v Workington Town KO 15:00
Coventry Bears v Doncaster KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars v London Skolars KO 15:00
Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders KO 15:00

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Wales Raiders v Hunslet
Coventry Bears v Doncaster
Keighley Cougars v London Skolars
Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders

Can't decide on the Cumbrian derdy, Barrow first 17 would be a win at home but so many out due to injury and suspension, Workington could capitalise, could go either way. 

SATURDAY 26th JUNE
West Wales Raiders v Hunslet 10-42

SUN 27TH JUNE 2021
Barrow Raiders v Workington Town 26-20
Coventry Bears v Doncaster 28-26 (week off will have helped us) 
Keighley Cougars v London Skolars 32-16
Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders 40-24

Interesting week this one. Going to be some close games I think. As for Bears vs Doncaster. The form Doncaster are in suggests they'll win comfortably but one things for sure the Bears will give them a good game, and if we can dominate the middles like in some other games will cause problems for them 

Barrow have brought " The Bull" Liam Harrison out of retirement and recruited Gary Wheeler to help with their injury crisis. 

The Harrison (Ben and Liam) brothers may feature in the same pro team for the first time.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

24 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Barrow have brought " The Bull" Liam Harrison out of retirement and recruited Gary Wheeler to help with their injury crisis. 

The Harrison (Ben and Liam) brothers may feature in the same pro team for the first time.

How bad is this injury crisis ?  just asking for no reason really …🙄

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Sadly given his past record, Gary Wheeler may well be the man for an injury crisis, but not in the way intended. Great signing if he can stay fit though.

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

How bad is this injury crisis ?  just asking for no reason really …🙄

I reckon some of them might make a miraculous recovery by Sunday......

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 22/06/2021 at 15:19, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's games in Betfred League 1 here.

SATURDAY 26th JUNE
West Wales Raiders v Hunslet KO 15:00

SUN 27TH JUNE 2021
Barrow Raiders v Workington Town KO 15:00
Coventry Bears v Doncaster KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars v London Skolars KO 15:00
Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders KO 15:00

Hunslet

Town

Donny

Skolars

Hornets

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Will be keeping my eye on how many the Cumbrian derby can pull in. 

It isn’t a derby game. Yes the clubs are both in Cumbria but that’s it. It’s the same distance from Workington to Barrow as it is from Salford to Castleford - that isn’t a derby game and neither is this one.

58 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It isn’t a derby game. Yes the clubs are both in Cumbria but that’s it. It’s the same distance from Workington to Barrow as it is from Salford to Castleford - that isn’t a derby game and neither is this one.

As a barrow fan it’s a derby game to me mate. Looking forward to it. And hope we both go up this year and hopefully have three Cumbrian clubs in the championship. 

35 minutes ago, Butch said:

As a barrow fan it’s a derby game to me mate. Looking forward to it. And hope we both go up this year and hopefully have three Cumbrian clubs in the championship. 

Me too mate but it’s hardly what you’d call a fierce local rivalry. I reckon the main thing we have in common is we all hate Carlisle 😄

24 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well a friendly rivalry can still be a good one.  If Barrow can keep rolling in the 1000 plus crowds it is a positive. 

There’s over 2,000 tickets sold as of yesterday morning with a fairly large contingent from Town travelling down. 

29 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

That is fantanstic.  Credit to workington but Barrow have really got on a role this year. 

Yes Barrow have done very well but their local council has helped them by letting them have a 3,000 capacity in the ground, which isn’t far off maximum capacity.

Town are having their best start to a season for a few years but the local council have restricted the capacity to 995 in a 10,000 capacity stadium for some reason. Doesn’t make sense that one club can have 90% capacity but another just 10% depending on geography, but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

Its not a local derby and that isn't what it is being called. It known as a Cumbrian derby as there are only 3 pro clubs in that county, Salford is in Lancashire and Cass in Yorkshire so they cannot be either a local derby or a county derby. 

26 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Town are having their best start to a season for a few years but the local council have restricted the capacity to 995 in a 10,000 capacity stadium for some reason. Doesn’t make sense that one club can have 90% capacity but another just 10% depending on geography, but it is what it is.

The council helping us out ? That would be nice 

Archived